Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Small top tube bag recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 10:54 AM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hii. My rear seat post bag is getting in the way of my tail light assembly (specifically the Garmin Varia tailight/radar and I'm looking to replace it with a top tube bag. Many of the ones I've looked at thus far are pretty big, maybe more suited for touring bikes. I'm looking for something big enough to carry a tube, bike mechanic multi-tool, a couple of tire levers and maybe enough room left over to cram in say my wallet and a few compacted paper towels. Example the seat bag I have now is a Topeak Aero Wedge that is stated to hold 60-80 cu inches and something about the same volume would be appropriate. Also it needs to sit towards the front as opposed to the rear triangle area where it will get in the way of my water bottle. My bike is a Specialized Roubaix with a wide aero shaped top tube as opposed to a more tradiational round one.

Barring a top top bag, I have been looking at some seat roll bags will maybe take up less room then the aero wedge I use now. Whatever the solution, I don't need to access it often.
Old 04-08-22, 02:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Here's a whole list of them, with pics:

https://bikepacking.com/index/top-tube-bags/
Old 04-08-22, 03:24 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had the same problem with the Garmin Varia RTL515 on my Roubaix. I solved it by switching my Topeak small aero wedge to a micro aero wedge and that gave me room for the Varia. In addition to add carrying capacity I use either a Zefal triangular frame pack from Walmart ($16.95) or a Performance Bike Transit Escape DX frame bag which is slightly larger (but currently sold out). I carry my water bottle on my down tube. All is good.
Old 04-10-22, 07:59 AM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
https://outershell.com/shop/half-framebag

This small 1.9 Liter Outer Shell half-framebag is working out well for me on my medium Felt Broam. I similarly needed something that would leave clearance for bottles with compact geometry. It's enough to carry a tube, tools, small pump, CO2, and other light repair necessities.
Old 04-10-22, 02:08 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I ended up not getting one, but the one I was going to buy was the arundel top tycoon https://www.arundelbike.com/product/top-tube-tycoon/
Old 04-10-22, 04:59 PM
Get.Schwifty

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Here's a whole list of them, with pics:

defangedurl
I'm gonna check it out. Aside from my Topeak wedge (so good I bought it for two bikes) and some Ortleib and Burley Panniers (because weatherproof and duro are worth the money), I cheaper out on frame bag and bar bag, ended up with a Rockbros bag that covers the entire top tube section of the triangle nicely and, a no-name roll-up that works okay 'cause it's waterproof.

The Rockbros *isn't* waterproof, I discovered in 100 miles of rain, so I'm demoting it to day trips. Had my eye on a Topeak and Ortleib both – someone needs to come in and nail down the econo market though. Baggage is so specialty/costly.
Old 04-10-22, 05:27 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X4H92F6...roduct_details

Seems to be very well made. Should be large enough for what you want to do with it.