Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cornering Drills

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cornering Drills

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 09:12 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Cornering Drills

I need to get better at cornering. Ive read a lot about how to properly corner, but never tried to do any drills to improve my performance. Ive had a few bad crashes when cornering, so im a bit anxious when cornering and really never learned the skill of cornering fast at high speeds.
Old 04-22-22, 09:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Look up the leaning vs counter steering threads. Or don't and save everyone the misery.

Old 04-22-22, 09:29 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by seypat
Look up the leaning vs counter steering threads. Or don't and save everyone the misery.

im sure the topic has been discussed to death (is counter steering a myth?) but im more looking for practical drills I can do in a parking lot or something. I have a hairpin on my commute that id like to be able to take at high speed.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-22-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 09:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Other than keeping the inside pedal up, it just happens for me. I can't really explain it. But Jack Burton can. Here's what he says about it:

Old 04-22-22, 10:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10423 Post(s)
Liked 11,885 Times in 6,089 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I need to get better at cornering. Ive read a lot about how to properly corner, but never tried to do any drills to improve my performance. Ive had a few bad crashes when cornering, so im a bit anxious when cornering and really never learned the skill of cornering fast at high speeds.
Climb up Alpine, from Willowbrook to the gate, and descend. Take the descent as slowly as you want practicing braking before the turn, using the whole lane, keeping your eyes up so you can see hazards way ahead. There are WAY fewer cars than on any other climb/descent around here, and the slope is much more gentle, so you won't gain that much speed between turns. Do this by yourself, so you don't feel pressured to keep up with somebody else. As you get more practiced, you will feel more comfortable, and you can go faster. There are still hazards, as on all roads, so the trick is to learn how to descend without obsessing about them, but also not hitting them.

One of the biggest problems I have descending roads like 84 is obsessing on the hazards and avoiding them, which tends to make me brake too hard, and enter turns still braking; to focus on the road immediately ahead; and to focus on where I DON'T want to go rather than where I WANT to go. When I'm more practiced, I become better at all of those and I can descend more confidently, and thus faster. But the trick is to always stay within the limits of your confidence.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-22-22, 10:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22592 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Look where you WANT to go. Push hard on outside pedal and inside bar. Lean inside shoulder down/in. Practice on familiar turns.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-22-22, 10:21 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Keep in mind when you are on a public road, you have to be prepared for anything. Gravel/loose dirt, oncoming traffic in your lane, stopped vehicles, etc. If you are pushing the limits of your bike and your skills, it's unlikely you will be able to react. Great to focus on your skills (counter steering is not a myth) but be prepared for the unexpected.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-22-22, 10:45 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Are you talking about taking curves when descending or taking sharp corners fast (like in a crit)?
Old 04-22-22, 10:50 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
im sure the topic has been discussed to death (is counter steering a myth?) but im more looking for practical drills I can do in a parking lot or something. I have a hairpin on my commute that id like to be able to take at high speed.
seems pointless to take a throwaway corner at high speed.
Old 04-22-22, 10:56 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
seems pointless to take a throwaway corner at high speed.
I agree which is why I never learned
Old 04-22-22, 10:57 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Are you talking about taking curves when descending or taking sharp corners fast (like in a crit)?
frankly either
Old 04-22-22, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Look where you WANT to go. Push hard on outside pedal and inside bar. Lean inside shoulder down/in. Practice on familiar turns.
Adapting from The Art of Racing in the Rain, The bike goes where the eyes go.

Great read, by the way. If it doesn't make you at least choke up you have no heart.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-22-22, 11:27 AM
njkayaker

frankly either
The techniques aren't the same (so, you are asking two questions). Learning to take turns while descending doesn't (shouldn't) involve other people. So, it's arguably easier to practice/learn.

I have a hairpin on my commute that id like to be able to take at high speed.
It would be interesting to know exactly the turn (on a map) and what you mean by "high speed".

====================

There are lots of good references on the web. Doing a search for those first might be more effective: they might tend to be more comprehensive and avoid the "20 questions" thing that can happen in forums,

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 11:37 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The techniques aren't the same (so, you are asking two questions). Learning to take turns while descending doesn't (shouldn't) involve other people. So, it's arguably easier to practice/learn.

It would be interesting to know exactly the turn (on a map) and what you mean by "high speed".
its a hairpin on a descent, so you easily enter the turn at 40+ mph. I would like to be able to take it at at least 25 mph, because a group ride I do occasionally uses that route as a climb in their ride and I want to be exceptional on the descent. I think a professional could take it at full speed. Not tech savvy enough to link google street view but its the canada college descent.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-22-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 11:44 AM
njkayaker

its a hairpin on a descent, so you easily enter the turn at 40+ mph. I would like to be able to take it at at least 25 mph, because a group ride I do occasionally uses that route as a climb in their ride and I want to be exceptional on the descent. I think a professional could take it at full speed. Not tech savvy enough to link google street view but its the canada college descent.
If you can see it on google maps or street view (it doesn't matter which), you just need to copy the URL (in the address bar at the top) and paste it into a reply (it's easy).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-22 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 12:03 PM
big john

Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
You're taller than average, right? And over 200 pounds? You are not going to be able to corner with people who are a lot lighter and shorter than you are, unless they are not good at it. I know a woman who is 4'10" and she rides a custom frame with 650 wheels. She can ride turns like she is on rails.

It also depends on how much you are willing to risk. How close to the edge do you want to get, and why?

Last edited by big john; 04-22-22 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 12:05 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by big john
You're taller than average, right? And over 200 pounds? You are not going to be able to corner with people who are a lot lighter and shorter than you are, unless they are not good at it. I know a woman who is 4'!0" and she rides a custom frame with 650 wheels. She can ride turns like she is on rails.

It also depends on how much you are willing to risk. How close to the edge do you want to get, and why?
i'm 6'2 and 260 lbs right now. I agree that undue risk is stupid, im just trying to keep up with other riders who are racing and taking turns as fast as they can.
Old 04-22-22, 12:13 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
If the OP spent more time on his bike and less time trolling BF with trolling topics, he might have fewer trolling questions.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 04-22-22, 12:18 PM
big john

Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
i'm 6'2 and 260 lbs right now. I agree that undue risk is stupid, im just trying to keep up with other riders who are racing and taking turns as fast as they can.
You might be able to drop them on a straight descent and you might be able to make them work on flat ground but a good 150 pound rider is going to smoke you on the climbs and most likely on twisty descents, too. Shallow turns you can do all right but sharp ones look out.
I did get to the point where I could do pretty well on rolling hills, too. Long climbs, I just settle into my pace and sharp turns I stay out of the way.
Old 04-22-22, 12:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
​​​​​​Ride fast, try turning sharply. Stay within your limits but push a little. Pick a line and try to follow it.

Other sports and exercises help with this, including weight lifting and yoga, because they force you to develop more awareness of your body.
Old 04-22-22, 12:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

This one?

Old 04-22-22, 12:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
yeah that one! Lol once when I was playing Pokémon go, the dumb mobile game that came out a few years ago, I chatted with this little kid (7 years old?) who pulled up the exact squirtle spawn point at this church that I was telling him about on google streetview.

nuts that you pulled up exactly the place I was talking about… good stuff…

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-22-22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 12:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

yeah that one!
I used to drop my son off at Canada College, for a couple terms. I never went that way so I don't know that turn, but you know that deer hang out around there, right? One of them could totally ruin your day.

If you want to do a particular corner, practice that corner. Take it at the speed you're comfortable, play with the line, note where there are bumps, gravel, etc. And remember you're a very large guy on a crappy bike.

Old 04-22-22, 12:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by big john
You might be able to drop them on a straight descent and you might be able to make them work on flat ground but a good 150 pound rider is going to smoke you on the climbs and most likely on twisty descents, too. Shallow turns you can do all right but sharp ones look out.
I did get to the point where I could do pretty well on rolling hills, too. Long climbs, I just settle into my pace and sharp turns I stay out of the way.
I can punish people on the flats but if they can keep up until a hill they should be able to destroy me. Been riding single speed recently in part to force me to work on the hills
Old 04-22-22, 01:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I can punish people on the flats but if they can keep up until a hill they should be able to destroy me. Been riding single speed recently in part to force me to work on the hills
You may be able to limit your losses on a hill, but you'd do better to drop 40 lbs. You'll STILL get your clock cleaned by smaller, lighter folks. There's a reason climbers are not big galoots like us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.