Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 11:16 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I try to keep overall costs within what I figure I could reasonably get back from a local craigslist ad, but sometimes I go over. I'm going underwater on my scorcher project for sure. All in all, it's not an expensive hobby.
Well, I don't look at my three speeds as something to resell, so I don't think of it that way. And for me, three speeds aren't a "hobby", they are a way of life!
Old 05-10-17, 08:42 AM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Murphy Brown, my Raleigh Tourist Loop

I'm up to 3 Raleighs, all now waiting to be rehabbed. But my pride and soon to be joy is Murphy the '76 DL1L.
Poor girl has been garaged a long time. I have new cream tires are on their way. I think she needs to be gone over in detail, the DH thinks she just needs new tires and a tune up. These photos are from the previous owners. I'm documenting the before condition but need a place to house them. Where do most people keep an online album?

I also have a 24" DL1 which we named Sheldon and a '72 sport not yet named. The sport was given to us up in Klamath. It's a smaller gents that fits me. It may be worthwhile to keep.

So weird question, do other people name their bikes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00505_byIvT1WdrkR_1200x900.jpg (99.8 KB, 247 views)
00n0n_43Sn5L2RoCl_1200x900.jpg (98.2 KB, 244 views)
01414_bRoOuod9xx3_1200x900.jpg (100.6 KB, 244 views)
00w0w_hF7yfZifuqV_1200x900.jpg (72.7 KB, 247 views)
00P0P_43FCP86dRgb_1200x900.jpg (95.9 KB, 244 views)
Old 05-10-17, 10:01 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Lovely bikes. I'm especially fond of this model. Congrats on your new L. If she's been sitting idle for a long time be sure to lube all the bearings. It's a good bet they're dry as a bone. Ever consider swapping out the 16T rear cog for a 20 or even 22T? Made all the difference in the world to me. Don't know why the factory geared them so tall.
Old 05-10-17, 10:48 AM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
funny you should mention that. I've been watching youtube videos on SA hub maintenance. My DH thinks I'm nuts and rolls his eyes then goes off to his shop to compulsively sharpen his hand plane collection I'm also a novice rider. My commute is 5 miles each way with just one bridge. I found these for $250 for the pair while searching for a dutch bike for myself.

The saddle on the gents is cracked but I'm thinking of switching it with the vintage B66 from the loop and getting myself a new one in honey. Replacement brake pads should get here today. But I also checked ebay and freaked myself out a little. I'm a little terrified to wrench on her myself now.

Last edited by Renngrrl; 05-10-17 at 12:08 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-10-17, 11:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Renngrrl, you got the deal of the year with those bikes. And Murphy is a great name for the lady's bike. I hope it's a reference to that woman who traveled extensively on her bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-10-17, 01:22 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Renngrrl, you got the deal of the year with those bikes. And Murphy is a great name for the lady's bike. I hope it's a reference to that woman who traveled extensively on her bike.
The bikes were named after Sheldon Brown (of course) and Murphy Brown. I have to admit I didn't know about Dervla when I named her but I now I think it was the fates talking. I just ordered Full Tilt from amazon.
Old 05-10-17, 01:54 PM
oldbicycles

Bikes: '40 Raleigh Sports Tourist, '58 Raleigh Sports with SW hub, '69 Robin Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Renngrrl Your bikes are lovely! Congrats. It looks like there may be a DL-1 loop frame in my future from the same era, and I am excited. I'm so glad to have learned about Dervia Murphy in this thread and have ordered Full Tilt, too. This kind of story is right up my ally.

Emily
Old 05-10-17, 02:28 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Nice weather expected this weekend for the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour!

I just finished installing the 22-tooth cog on the 1951 lady's Humber Sport, plus a Prestube rack.
Old 05-10-17, 03:00 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by Renngrrl
funny you should mention that. I've been watching youtube videos on SA hub maintenance. My DH thinks I'm nuts and rolls his eyes then goes off to his shop to compulsively sharpen his hand plane collection I'm also a novice rider. My commute is 5 miles each way with just one bridge. I found these for $250 for the pair while searching for a dutch bike for myself.

The saddle on the gents is cracked but I'm thinking of switching it with the vintage B66 from the loop and getting myself a new one in honey. Replacement brake pads should get here today. But I also checked ebay and freaked myself out a little. I'm a little terrified to wrench on her myself now.
Well, you've found the right place. I've learned so much from the people here on this thread. Some very knowledgeable and friendly folks with a genuine enthusiasm for these old bikes here. In fact, I had a DL-1 sitting around for 15 years and didn't ride it much. It was geared sooo tall and the brakes were soooooo bad that I did most of my riding on my Sports model bikes. But now, thanks to help I got from my friends here, my roadster rides and brakes well and has turned into my main everyday rider. I'm hooked on em now. Here's my '73
Old 05-10-17, 09:19 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 228 Posts
I'm up to 3 Raleighs, all now waiting to be rehabbed. But my pride and soon to be joy is Murphy the '76 DL1L.
Poor girl has been garaged a long time. I have new cream tires are on their way. I think she needs to be gone over in detail, the DH thinks she just needs new tires and a tune up. These photos are from the previous owners. I'm documenting the before condition but need a place to house them. Where do most people keep an online album?

I also have a 24" DL1 which we named Sheldon and a '72 sport not yet named. The sport was given to us up in Klamath. It's a smaller gents that fits me. It may be worthwhile to keep.

So weird question, do other people name their bikes?

Some of them get names. Presenting "Sir Wayes A. Tonne", my '79 24"DL1
Attached Images
UP SWAT.jpg (99.3 KB, 221 views)
Old 05-10-17, 10:03 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
If you're into three speeds, the odds are good you will have multiple Raleighs. They made so many of them, that they do turn up in very good shape still. The parts are mostly available still if you look, which makes life easier. There's also a lot more "ready-made" data on them. You can Google stuff and find the answer to your questions when you begin work. You also have the "go-to" mods, common projects to make them more road-ready. Don't be surprised if you end up with more than three.

Here's an example: I re-built two cottered bottom brackets on three speeds, about a year apart. One was a late 1940s Raleigh Sports, the other was a 1941 Schwinn New World. With the Sports bike I could take a look at the project and know exactly what to order for it. The parts dimensions are commonly known and parts are readily had.

The 1941 New World had only its fixed up in place (yes, Schwinn offered bikes with cottered cranks way back when). Re-constructing a bottom bracket required calipers, thread measuring tools, and partially taking apart another 1940s cottered Schwinn to determine if I could substitute certain English parts for the missing Schwinn stuff. It turned out that Birmingham Hercules parts were a match for some parts, while I was able to locate a few 1940s Schwinn parts to finish out the rest.

With a Raleigh you don't have to do that usually. You can just Google or come here and ask. If you ask someone about the threading on a 1941 Schwinn bottom bracket they'll immediately tell you it's the weird 28 tpi Schwinn standard (yes for the one-piece cranks, no for the cottered, which turned out to be 24 tpi British/Birmingham standard). What about cotter pins? You can have Bikesmith make you really good, brand new pins for a Raleigh Sports. What about for that '41 Schwinn? I had to locate a known Schwinn pin and caliper it (turns out it's the same as what Hercules was making in the 1940s and I had two of those spare on hand). This is the sort of thing why 3-speed people usually have several Raleighs around - you can usually find parts and information about what you need without having to reverse engineer missing pieces.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 05-10-17 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 05:47 AM
BigChief 

True, 3 speeds are addictive and parts are available. Although, the bottom bracket spindle for DL-1s are different from the Sports and can be hard to source, so you will want to preserve that. I mention this because I have fixed up many old 3 speeds over the years and I generally find the bearings to be dry, caked with dried up grease and grime. It really is important to service these parts when putting a long uncared for bike back on the road. Most modern mechanics are clueless when it comes to old bikes. Which leads to the question of whether to invest in a few specialized tools and start wrenching them yourself. I answer with a positive yes. That's half the fun.
Old 05-11-17, 04:20 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
If you're into three speeds, the odds are good you will have multiple Raleighs. Don't be surprised if you end up with more than three.

You can just Google or come here and ask. What about cotter pins? You can have Bikesmith make you really good, brand new pins for a Raleigh Sports. This is the sort of thing why 3-speed people usually have several Raleighs around - you can usually find parts and information about what you need without having to reverse engineer missing pieces.
I’ll be selling off the sport (cheap) because we just don’t need it. The other two will be pried from my cold, dead hands ; )
I love that there is so much out information out there and help here. That’s what makes this a project I think I can tackle. Now about those cotter pins… ??

Originally Posted by browngw
Beautiful bike and great name. My loop weights as much as my commuter which is why it's gots to go!

But now, thanks to help I got from my friends here, my roadster rides and brakes well and has turned into my main everyday rider. I'm hooked on em now. Here's my '73
Another beautiful gent. I'd be terrified to ride Murphy daily. In Sacramento, she'd disappear off bike rack faster than you can say jimmy cricket with a hacksaw.
Originally Posted by oldbicycles
@Renngrrl It looks like there may be a DL-1 loop frame in my future from the same era, and I am excited.Emily
Big congrats! I was looking for a used Azor or Workcycle until Murphy fell in my lap. May yours be just as spectacular.

Most modern mechanics are clueless when it comes to old bikes. Which leads to the question of whether to invest in a few specialized tools and start wrenching them yourself. I answer with a positive yes. That's half the fun.
My back patio is covered in bikes. The DH offered to convert our back shed into my bike shop for me. That man is a treasure. Raleighs need some specific tools and there might be another 3 speed acquisition tonight that will need BSC gauge tools, anyone have a list or is there a forum here that talks about such things?
Old 05-11-17, 04:25 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Question about your chaincase- is that an original older one that you replaced the half case with or is it aftermarket? I mentioned doing something similar at my LBS and the owner tried very hard to talk me out of it.
Old 05-11-17, 04:52 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 228 Posts
Question about your chaincase- is that an original older one that you replaced the half case with or is it aftermarket? I mentioned doing something similar at my LBS and the owner tried very hard to talk me out of it.

The full chaincase is original. Exports to Canada came with them. I read somewhere that shipping to the US had some tariff over a certain weight limit and the full cases were replaced with the "hockey stick". The full case looks neat but is a royal pita to set up and turns a rear wheel removal job into a tedious operation. I would not add one on purpose.
Old 05-11-17, 05:11 PM
Renngrrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rats! now I have to either find an earlier or non-US loop or live with serious chaincase envy. And I have to just say the geometry on those bikes is stunning

Last edited by Renngrrl; 05-11-17 at 05:13 PM. Reason: stuff and envy
Old 05-11-17, 05:30 PM
BigChief 

This is great! A workshop. A set of Whitworth spanners would be nice but not nearly as necessary as some other tools. A pedal wrench ,a cone wrench to adjust the bearings on the AW hub. Front wheel doesn't have lock nuts, so you won't need it there. Which reminds me...When changing your tires, replace the front wheel with fixed cone on the right side of the bike. Adjustable cone, with the flats on the left. Very important. Next a proper punch, about 3/16"s or so to remove the hub guts from the shell and the bottom bracket lock ring. I highly recommend a cotter press from Bikesmith. He also sells a handy tool for removing the fixed cup on bottom brackets, but it isn't necessary to remove this cup for normal maintenance. You can clean the fixed cup from the inside with a rag and stick. Other than that, normal shop tools will round out your workshop.
edit:
You can add an enclosed chaincase to your bike. Notice, behind the chainwheel, there's a mounting lug on the chainstay for them. All DL-1s have them

Last edited by BigChief; 05-11-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 06:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
If you're into three speeds, the odds are good you will have multiple Raleighs.
Heed that warning. This photo was taken before I recently picked up a DL1.
Three squared speeds.JPG
Old 05-12-17, 04:16 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Forum Activity

Glad to see a big surge in activity on this forum.
They Say It's Spring

Last edited by gster; 05-12-17 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 04:36 PM
BigChief 

Hmmm. wonder why that link failed. I'll try it. Nice song.
Old 05-12-17, 07:32 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
I've been wanting an old 3-speed for awhile, and I found this Raleigh LTD-3 at work that I think is a good choice. Serial number suggests 1973, hub says 1975. My plans involve 650b CR18's, overhauling the hub, a Brooks of some sort, and maybe a dynamo hub. The hub does not seem like it is functional in it's current state, I'm curious what I'll find inside. I imagine it will be a number of months before I have it done.

Old 05-13-17, 12:57 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Raleigh Tourists Wanted!

I'm working on a television show that takes place in the 1920's and am looking to purchase some local (Toronto area) Raleigh DL-1 Tourists as props.

Looking for complete bikes, men's or ladies and would pay a reasonable price.

We picked up a nice ladies Tourist this morning for $250.00.

The one pictured was $150.00 but has had the rod and lever brake system removed and the rear hub has been replaced with a coaster brake.
My plan is to remover the triggers and replace the rear cogs.

Tires and brake pads will be replaced as well.

I've also bought a couple of old CCM coasters as well.

If anyone has anything please let me know.
Attached Images
P1190139.jpg (97.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 05-13-17, 06:02 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
How did you drill out the cotters? what did you do? any directions?

Originally Posted by gster
Progress has been made. Once again those cotter pins have proved to be difficult.

The drive side popped out with a couple of stern whacks of the hammer, the other side wouldn't budge. I ended up drilling it out with no damage to the crank or spindle.

Judging by the grease inside the BB, this bike hasn't been ridden in years. The cups look good so if the weather here in Toronto clears up it should be back on the road next weekend.

Front and back hubs cleaned and re packed with new tires courtesy of George at Parkdale Bicycles at 1428 Queen Street West.
Re assembly has started. I will replace the pedals with either some new MKS pedals or some old Raleigh pedals from the spares bin.
Starting to look like a bicycle.
Old 05-14-17, 05:37 AM
gster

Originally Posted by jamesj
How did you drill out the cotters? what did you do? any directions?
here's a video on Youtube (not mine).

Old 05-14-17, 09:48 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@Renngrrl - most of my bikes have names. My hot pink mixte Univega mountain bike is called "Mountain 'Barbie'" but now that she's older prefers to be called 'Barbara'. My all original Raleigh Twenty folder is called "Miss Molly" the name of original owner. The all original 1972 Peugeot UO 18 mixte is "Yvette" - sounded French; the heavily modified '95 Trek 820is the "Apocalypse" bike. The 2015 Surly Straggler is "Sparkle Pony" referring to the metallic purple paint job.

So, yes, some name their bikes. I have 12 or so bikes and they don't all have names.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.