Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Why would you get a car and give up LCF?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Why would you get a car and give up LCF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 09:20 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I suppose it makes a difference where one lives, and what one chooses to believe, but in my daily encounters with other people, cycling has a much better image than some here are presenting.
Old 11-25-15, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good lord...trolling motors are abuzz here, all converged on one hapless thread.
Old 11-25-15, 09:33 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983
Good lord...trolling motors are abuzz here, all converged on one hapless thread.
Have you read many other threads in here? Because...

Old 11-25-15, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
Have you read many other threads in here? Because...

Doesn't load...
Old 11-25-15, 10:14 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Doesn't load...
Maybe I was just trolling you...
Old 11-25-15, 10:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I was just trolling you...
That didn't load either.
Old 11-25-15, 11:24 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Someone should start a thread with a poll to get a real idea of why people here are choosing to go without a car. From my unscientific noticing, I don't think DUI even registers on the meter, unless you are making a tally of perceived reasons we don't have cars. I see the biggest stated reason as environmental concerns, followed by financial considerations. However, with the money-savers, most could afford a car, but choose to go without to spend money on other choices. Probably simplifying or choosing to work part-time would be third.

I definitely count myself here. I used the money I used to spend on driving to turn my finances around. I bought a condo and quit paying rent, for one. It relates to the question in that my time to buy a car is when I think the car could do me more good than the money it would cost. When all the expenses related to the car represented a non-material portion of my discretionary income, then I would be willing to buy a car again. That would be my primary motivation to give up lcf, though employment or health issues could force me to buy, too.

Actually...

But the rest of it rings true. This is the outside perception of anyone choosing to go without a car:

The reality shown in these pages (if anyone bothers to read them without trying to snip out of context to validate their prejudices) is that we are diverse, like any group of people sharing one attribute.
I don't dispute the diversity. Still that diversity includes all of the reasons I mentioned in my post. My answer to the question was based on what I believe personally could cause someone like myself to get a car after years without one.

I should admit that I don't dispute the perceptions of the car free. When trying to picture the one advocating home free, air condition free and even the joys low wage part time work I get a mental picture as well. The perception may be incorrect but to a degree is it not understandable?

Still how different s believing that finiancial success might also lead to giving up car free for many? Remember the thread on choosing to live on one side of the city where a person was car free but only low pay or part time? The other side of the city was higher full time pay but you had to have a car? If you remember the thread you might remember the choices "most" from this forum made. So I don't believe I was out of line.
Old 11-25-15, 11:44 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

That didn't load either.
You have to go to settings on your tool bar and choose 'disable firewall'; then it will load up for you.
Old 11-25-15, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to go to settings on your tool bar and choose 'disable firewall'; then it will load up for you.
I'm not using Firewall browser, I'm using Internet Explorer.
Old 11-25-15, 12:14 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I don't dispute the diversity. Still that diversity includes all of the reasons I mentioned in my post. My answer to the question was based on what I believe personally could cause someone like myself to get a car after years without one.

I should admit that I don't dispute the perceptions of the car free. When trying to picture the one advocating home free, air condition free and even the joys low wage part time work I get a mental picture as well. The perception may be incorrect but to a degree is it not understandable?

Still how different s believing that finiancial success might also lead to giving up car free for many? Remember the thread on choosing to live on one side of the city where a person was car free but only low pay or part time? The other side of the city was higher full time pay but you had to have a car? If you remember the thread you might remember the choices "most" from this forum made. So I don't believe I was out of line.
I can understand how you come to your conclusion about the make-up of the forum, but it is not through logic or careful consideration, I would say.

The idea that we are all drunk, poor hispters is a frequent Ad hominem attack used in this forum. I do not recall that thread about the fantasy city, but I assume from your tone that people would tend to choose a car and money over no car and no money (a false dilemma, at best!). Your mental picture above fits the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. I never said that having tons of money would not entice many of us to get a car. In fact, I said it surely would make me choose to drive. Are you attacking a straw man, then?

Sorry if I seem to be picking on you. You seem to be among the more reasonable and fair of the 'other side' But why not put on your thinking cap and make a real argument for the car, instead of dwelling on preconceived notions?
Old 11-25-15, 12:46 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts

It sounds like you're just talking about one specific person here. There are a lot of people here with a wide range of opinions. There is no group think despite some posters' claim to the contrary.
Old 11-25-15, 12:47 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Someone should start a thread with a poll to get a real idea of why people here are choosing to go without a car. From my unscientific noticing, I don't think DUI even registers on the meter, unless you are making a tally of perceived reasons we don't have cars. I see the biggest stated reason as environmental concerns, followed by financial considerations. However, with the money-savers, most could afford a car, but choose to go without to spend money on other choices. Probably simplifying or choosing to work part-time would be third.

I definitely count myself here. I used the money I used to spend on driving to turn my finances around. I bought a condo and quit paying rent, for one. It relates to the question in that my time to buy a car is when I think the car could do me more good than the money it would cost. When all the expenses related to the car represented a non-material portion of my discretionary income, then I would be willing to buy a car again. That would be my primary motivation to give up lcf, though employment or health issues could force me to buy, too.

Actually...

But the rest of it rings true. This is the outside perception of anyone choosing to go without a car:

The reality shown in these pages (if anyone bothers to read them without trying to snip out of context to validate their prejudices) is that we are diverse, like any group of people sharing one attribute.
You made the point a lot more calmly than I did, thanks very much. Strangely enough, those top two pictures were once posted here by a troll to "demonstrate" what kind of people are carfree. This stereotype is as puzzling as it could be. It seems to me that most CF people, at least the ones who post here, may have some unconventional ideas, but their habits (other than transportation) are not at all eccentric. They look and probably smell just like the average middle class person in ther location.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 11-25-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 01:08 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, I think it's understandable for someone who hasn't had much exposure to the ideas represented here at times. Yes, there is much under the sun that you haven't even dreamed of. Respectable people, including many religious leaders and influential philosophers, have espoused the ideas of simple, non-materialistic living. Socrates, Thoreau, Buddha, St Francis, Pope Francis, Warren Buffet (), Gandhi, etc., etc....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-25-15, 01:31 PM
Mobile 155

I can understand how you come to your conclusion about the make-up of the forum, but it is not through logic or careful consideration, I would say.

The idea that we are all drunk, poor hispters is a frequent Ad hominem attack used in this forum. I do not recall that thread about the fantasy city, but I assume from your tone that people would tend to choose a car and money over no car and no money (a false dilemma, at best!). Your mental picture above fits the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. I never said that having tons of money would not entice many of us to get a car. In fact, I said it surely would make me choose to drive. Are you attacking a straw man, then?

Sorry if I seem to be picking on you. You seem to be among the more reasonable and fair of the 'other side' But why not put on your thinking cap and make a real argument for the car, instead of dwelling on preconceived notions?
Truthfully I get only a fraction of my opinions about who is car free or why from this forum. I have been involved in chat sites long enough to realize they are anything but reality. Most opinions tend to be presented from the far ends of the spectrum and bare only a shadow of what the poster does or doesn't do in real life. The question was asked of what would cause someone to give up being car free and from observation, experience and reading I believe my reasoning valid.

When I first moved where I now live I got involved in a car light lifestyle. I associate with many car light, car heavy and car free people. I have about 84 of the aforementioned different people on my mailing list. So I understand the diversity. But I also understand the tendency of the more extreme sides of the debates to become over sensitive. As an example:

For a while I joined the local green coalition that included many of the beliefs we talk about in these forums. One faction in the coalition was cycling. A sub faction of that was car free, cyclists and users of public transportation. We used to attend community meetings to express issues the coalition and one such meeting was to address the death of 10 cyclists in one year in the area.

After the meeting I joined some of the cyclists and made contact with the police and emergency services that had responded to those Ten fatalities. My fervor for cycling justice Fell off somewhat when it was reviewed to us that eight of the ten where hit crossing a 4 lane highway between 1 and 3 am after leaving a bar. Two were hit by right hook drivers in daylight turning into a driveway and were not alcohol related.

It is easier to understand the reasons for the perceptions when faced with real world examples that Internet ones. Even the ones I just related are only real world to me or the people I was dealing with.

Add to all of this that the car free in the coalition tended to get cars once their financial positions healed. All but one car free in the group anyway.

So I understand perceptions verses reality.

and while I may have pointed out some of the reasons people have used to become car free I didn't say they were the only reasons. So even if the were a minority, as this forum is a minority of cyclists, they none the less are the visual examples that so many see in every day life. My answer was towards what circumstances would I see as a reason to give up being car free. It is nothing more than a postulation and not a stake driven into the heart of believers.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 11-25-15 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 03:29 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Roody
Yes, I think it's understandable for someone who hasn't had much exposure to the ideas represented here at times. Yes, there is much under the sun that you haven't even dreamed of. Respectable people, including many religious leaders and influential philosophers, have espoused the ideas of simple, non-materialistic living. Socrates, Thoreau, Buddha, St Francis, Pope Francis, Warren Buffet (), Gandhi, etc., etc....
Before we debate my reading library are you about to interject philosophy and Religion into being car free? If so I think they will move it before we get in another page.
Old 11-25-15, 04:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts

The reality of this picture is that it has nothing to do with living car free, especially since it is a picture of Nick Nolte who doesn't share the car free attribute, after he was arrested for drunken driving.
Nick Nolte '02 MUG SHOT | The Smoking Gun
Nick Nolte, 70, talks about THAT DUI photo | abc7.com

Can YOU be specific about which posts and/or posters made claim to a perception that anyone choosing to go without a car looked like the pictures YOU posted, or is that another perception based on unscientific noticing?
Old 11-25-15, 04:42 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Mobile155,

I appreciate you taking my comments in the spirit intended. Yes, some here can be called 'believers', but that does not make them perfect. They may aspire to live a simple life for philosophical reasons, but that does not mean they might not have weak moments and take the easy way out. They put those confessional booths in the church for a reason...

I think a lot of folks here are more pragmatic, and I am in that group. I don't feel any shame in saying I would get a car if I had money to burn. However, the car might fall a lot further down the priority list for me than most. I could have had a car at any point over the last 7 years or so, but other budget items are priorities for me. There was also a point where losing weight, and then training for events were important to me, and not having a car 'forced' me to train for my goals. I could buy a car today, but funds for saving and investing seem more critical for now.

Where I fall into the believer category is on the issue of subsidy or special status for cars. We should not design our cities under the assumption that everyone could or should be driving all the time. And, we should not make the cost of driving artificially low, thereby encouraging more driving than would otherwise take place.

I suspect there are more people in here like me than what you would call the true believers. I don't think these positions are extreme at all. That's all I'm sayin'.
Old 11-25-15, 04:44 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

I'm not using Firewall browser, I'm using Internet Explorer.
Old 11-25-15, 05:30 PM
Mobile 155

Mobile155,

I appreciate you taking my comments in the spirit intended. Yes, some here can be called 'believers', but that does not make them perfect. They may aspire to live a simple life for philosophical reasons, but that does not mean they might not have weak moments and take the easy way out. They put those confessional booths in the church for a reason...

I think a lot of folks here are more pragmatic, and I am in that group. I don't feel any shame in saying I would get a car if I had money to burn. However, the car might fall a lot further down the priority list for me than most. I could have had a car at any point over the last 7 years or so, but other budget items are priorities for me. There was also a point where losing weight, and then training for events were important to me, and not having a car 'forced' me to train for my goals. I could buy a car today, but funds for saving and investing seem more critical for now.

Where I fall into the believer category is on the issue of subsidy or special status for cars. We should not design our cities under the assumption that everyone could or should be driving all the time. And, we should not make the cost of driving artificially low, thereby encouraging more driving than would otherwise take place.

I suspect there are more people in here like me than what you would call the true believers. I don't think these positions are extreme at all. That's all I'm sayin'.
Then to a degree we have a meeting of the minds. Though I tend see personal transportation as more of a benifit to society than you might.

I have had my personal struggles with the automotive industry, insurance industry and big oil. That being said I tend to find my own solutions rather than join a movement. If I don't like fast food I don't eat fast food. I don't tend to start or join a movement to ban fast food. And I am not sure most people aren't like this themselves.

I will grant you this, becoming car light has saved me money from all three of the industries I mentioned. I just went almost two months on one tank of gas, my insurance is based on less than 9000 miles a year and I have a small economy car. Yes I have had to deal with them but on a more equitable basis.
Old 11-25-15, 06:23 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how common or rare we are, but there are those of us that have plenty of money to afford a car with hardly a measurable impact on our standard of living and retirement plans. And yet we choose not to.
Old 11-25-15, 06:28 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
We need to assign value to our endeavors to give ourselves value, because in the bigger scheme of things our sum total is an insignificant fragment in time and space.
Old 11-25-15, 06:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The reality of this picture is that it has nothing to do with living car free, especially since it is a picture of Nick Nolte who doesn't share the car free attribute, after he was arrested for drunken driving.

Can YOU be specific about which posts and/or posters made claim to a perception that anyone choosing to go without a car looked like the pictures YOU posted, or is that another perception based on unscientific noticing?
Some people go car free DUE to DUI - DUH.
Old 11-25-15, 06:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cooker
Some people go car free DUE to DUI - DUH.
Some people do all kinds of things, however it appears that only one has made a claim that the pictures posted on this thread represent some LCF posters perceptions' of anyone choosing to go without a car.
Old 11-25-15, 06:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Walter S
I don't know how common or rare we are, but there are those of us that have plenty of money to afford a car with hardly a measurable impact on our standard of living and retirement plans. And yet we choose not to.
And you are a good example. Congratulations. Some others have also discovered that driving and owning a car does not always require great financial sacrifice, unless already strapped for income, especially when not driving an average of 15,000 miles a year and purchasing a new car every 3-5 years taking the big depreciation hit.
Old 11-25-15, 07:01 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Before we debate my reading library are you about to interject philosophy and Religion into being car free? If so I think they will move it before we get in another page.
True-dat!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.