Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

short vs. medium cage RD

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

short vs. medium cage RD

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 12:46 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
short vs. medium cage RD

Is there any disadvantage to having a medium cage rear derailleur when you only rarely need it?

I have a short cage now,and either use 12-25 or 12-28 cassettes. This works for 99% of my uses.
I have a one time hilly event for which I'm getting a 11-32 cassette which will require the medium cage RD.

Is there any downside to just leaving the MCRD on there afterwards?

This is a TT/Tri bike if that matters.
Old 12-19-16, 12:48 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Try the new cassette with the existing RD before changing anything; it might work as is...
Old 12-19-16, 12:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The main disadvantage is when your team mates see it and give you s..t for being a tourist, not a racer. Really there might be a slight bit of shifting reactiveness loss with the long cage but I highly doubt most riders would notice that.

As an aside I never like using a product at it's maximum capacity as the standard practice. So a short cage der with a 28T cassette is such, the der is at its limit. I much prefer to use a product in the middle of its range when possible. Andy.
Old 12-19-16, 01:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you can run a bigger difference in the tooth counts between the big ans small chainrings ..

with No difference, 1 chainring I ran a 14~34t freewheel using a short cage RD..

this one

the motion is straight across, as shown, or angled more , for wider range gear combo.

they bolted on the ends to make that switchable.. (perhaps sneaking around Sun Tour's patents?)

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-19-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-19-16, 01:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Since you are riding the TT/Tri bike, I think it's safe to assume you are racing. If you are racing, every detail counts. You aren't going to leave your heavy 32T cassette on when you don't need it either. Get two chains with quick links and change the whole enchilada as needed.
Old 12-19-16, 03:05 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

SRAM says 28t is the max for my short cage, 32 seems over the top. The only thing worse than lugging an unnecessarily heavy RD through a race would be to have a bike suddenly become quirky about shifting during a race. Although admittedly it would be weird if it was OK in practice then suddenly got balky in a race.

shelbyfv, you have a point.
Old 12-19-16, 05:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A Shimano 12-30 cassette should work with your short cage derailleur and give you a deep enough gearing.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-19-16, 06:27 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the medium cage will hang lower to the ground, and increase the chances for bending the hanger, probably not a huge concern for most people. I just crash often enough that the hanger always hangs on the back of my mind.

the longer cage requires greater leverage for the spring to exert the same amount of tension. less tension means slightly looser chain. don't know how much worse the shifting is. been a while since I had one of those.

another factor to consider is that tension on the chain keeps the chain on the gears. so when you're hitting a bump or something, the longer cage will bounce around more, while the short cage will stay more solid.

I'd say go for a compact crankset and stick with a short cage. they'll cost around the same I think (new crankset vs new derailleur + cassette). compact is also pretty versatile, so you can pretty much set it and forget it, not worrying about switching back.
Old 12-19-16, 06:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you can run a bigger difference in the tooth counts between the big ans small chainrings ..

with No difference, 1 chainring I ran a 14~34t freewheel using a short cage RD..

this one

the motion is straight across, as shown, or angled more , for wider range gear combo.

they bolted on the ends to make that switchable.. (perhaps sneaking around Sun Tour's patents?)

FB_ IIRC SunTour's patents ran out, and in a wink of time Shimano adapted the slant parallelogram. I did like the adjustable slant of that Campy. Andy
Old 12-20-16, 03:43 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
alathIN, First try the cassette, w/new chain, that you want to use. It's possible that the worst will be chain on chain interference when using the small-small combo. If more gears are affected by interference, then look for a longer cage RD.

These days I run more bikes with triples than doubles and the length of the RD's cage is a moot point WRT shifting performance.

Brad
Old 12-20-16, 06:02 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I have two bikes set up with 5800 105. One has a short cage RD, the other a medium cage. I keep a 12-25 cassette on one and an 11-25 cassette on the other most of the time, changing to an 11-32 on the bike with the medium cage RD only when I need to. There's little-to-no perceptible difference in shifting performance between them.

Weight is not a big issue on a TT bike, and the additional grams are more than offset by the four tooth difference when climbing. Aero may be an issue; I'm unclear as to how much given that the air back there is so dirty already.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-20-16, 07:48 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@alathIN

A short cage derailleur does work with a 30t cassette on my bike, as I have done exactly that. 32t MAY be pushing it, it all depends on a few factors: Someone once told me that for every additional tooth on a cassette, you need 2mm extra space between the lower jockey wheel and the largest cog. So, 28 to 32 is 4 teeth x 2mm = 8mm. Put on the 28t, wind the derailleur B screw all the way in and then measure the distance between the lower jockey wheel teeth and the largest cassette teeth. If there's a little more than 8mm, then the larger cassette SHOULD work with the short cage. You will need a longer chain though, by around two full links. As with most things, it's more of a 'will it, won't it' depending on what type of bike you have, how low the derailleur hanger sits, chainstay length and other factors.

The other thing you can do is try a RoadLink from wolftoothcomponents.com or emergency derailleur hanger to make the derailleur sit lower than it is at present to give you the extra gap you need.

EDIT** And don't run big/big if you go 30t or 32t. You shouldn't ride in that combination anyway, but even more so if you up the capacity of your cassette. If you NEVER run that combination, you may also get away with not changing your chain.

Last edited by migrantwing; 12-20-16 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:27 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think I'd stick to a 30t max cog and run the short cage