Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pump feels like it engages only near end up stroke - whats up? (Lezyne alloy floor)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pump feels like it engages only near end up stroke - whats up? (Lezyne alloy floor)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 10:02 PM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I have a lezyne alloy floor pump that i've had for about two years. when i go to pump, there's very little resistance at the top of the stroke (no air going in?) and then resistance increases near the bottom (finally engaging?)

what the heck could cause this? is there any maintenance that could be performed to fix the pump?

thanks,
matt
Old 05-15-15, 10:03 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on the pump, it'll take a few inches for the seal to flip around and "engage" in the correct direction. That's my guess.
Old 05-15-15, 10:18 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Lezyne alloy floor drive acts oddly, too. I took the thing apart and re-greased the plunger and made sure that the valve at the bottom was not fouled of blocked. After putting it back together I put a little silicon grease on the chuck O -ring. After all that it still is a bit dodgy. Next, I'll try a new chuck. I'm really disappointed because the pump has been used only weekly for a year and a bit.
Old 05-16-15, 01:44 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Same thing happens to mine. I took it apart and swapped around the bumper O-rings for the seal O-rings and that fixed it. Then went out on bought some O-rings of the right size just to have around for when it happens again. (I think one of the O-rings had developed a flat spot.)
Old 05-16-15, 02:23 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Same thing happens to mine. I took it apart and swapped around the bumper O-rings for the seal O-rings and that fixed it. Then went out on bought some O-rings of the right size just to have around for when it happens again. (I think one of the O-rings had developed a flat spot.)
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Yes, the o-ring is probably done. You need to take the pump apart, take off the o-ring, replace it with the spare o-ring that always come with the pump, then all is gonna be well again.

And I also use silicone grease on my rubber o-rings too.
Old 05-16-15, 06:01 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not to pick nits, but that's not a "spare" O-ring, it's a bumper to keep the metal bits from slamming together. But yes, take the bumpers and swap them into the seals and you're good to go!
Old 05-16-15, 06:25 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lezyne will send you new O rings if you ask. At least they did for me. It seems a common problem with their pumps which are otherwise quite good. I have recommended the pump to two friends who both had issues.
Old 05-16-15, 08:16 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Stupid me; I bought an Aieron pump from Performance for $13 about ten years ago and have never had a problem with it.

Of course, it's not a fancy alloy pump so I must be missing out somewhere...
Old 04-04-18, 07:00 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI: The Lezyne o-ring size is 22mm (inside diameter) x 28mm (outside diameter) * 3mm (thickness)

Advanced Autoparts sells that O-ring. The item number is 64622.1 and cost just a little over a dollar.
Old 04-05-18, 09:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Stupid me; I bought an Aieron pump from Performance for $13 about ten years ago and have never had a problem with it.

Of course, it's not a fancy alloy pump so I must be missing out somewhere...

I've thought about doing something like this, but since I'm 200 miles from the nearest Performance shop, it seems foolish. Any warranty issues would cost me twice as much as the pump to send it back.
Old 04-05-18, 04:29 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've thought about doing something like this, but since I'm 200 miles from the nearest Performance shop, it seems foolish. Any warranty issues would cost me twice as much as the pump to send it back.
Well, it's three years since I posted that and the pump is still going strong, so I'm not really feeling too foolish about it...
Old 04-06-18, 07:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Well, it's three years since I posted that and the pump is still going strong, so I'm not really feeling too foolish about it...

Perhaps I should have added to my original post that a couple of the recommendations I've seen for Performance house-brand pumps were from people who'd had two or three warranty replacements. After my disastrous experience this winter with "faux suede" gloves, I'm ready to put Performance into the Walmart bin: OK for brand names, house brand apparently made as cheaply as possible.
Old 04-06-18, 09:28 AM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Perhaps I should have added to my original post that a couple of the recommendations I've seen for Performance house-brand pumps were from people who'd had two or three warranty replacements. After my disastrous experience this winter with "faux suede" gloves, I'm ready to put Performance into the Walmart bin: OK for brand names, house brand apparently made as cheaply as possible.
Yeah, a lot of their stuff is sub-standard.

I got lucky with the pump...