Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Warning to Future Generations

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Warning to Future Generations

Old 02-09-21, 12:44 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by y0x8
TIG certified welding of easy-to-weld AISI 304 steel under factory conditions by certified welders for pressure vessels and apparatuses. A guarantee that nothing will fall off. You will immediately lose the bet.
I bow to your expertise, well done.
Old 02-09-21, 12:46 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by coolkat
Well I'm gen Z so i can confirm that only thing offensive about that Serotta is the triple. Most of the stuff in this thread is awesome
I'm honestly surprised how many people on this thread seem to share your opinion to some degree or another.
Old 02-09-21, 12:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
the "measles" Serotta must have been for a King of the mountain tribute bike.
Actually I would write to Ben Serotta, oddball enough that the backstory is probably interesting.

Those Colnago airbrush dot extravaganzas just don't do much for me, but some are willing to pay the big bucks.
Old 02-09-21, 01:12 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
I bow to your expertise, well done.
Even more interesting is the gear ratio: (48T/17t)x(53T/22t)=6,8. In inches, this is 6. 8x26"=177! The theoretical maximum speed in this gear should be 98 km / h. I have already tried to drive it and accelerated to a maximum of 47.5 km / h. It's a pity that it was at the end of the cycling season and prevented COVID-19, I just didn't have time to roll it out.
Old 02-09-21, 01:32 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
My '87 Paramount painted by Richard Schwinn. The wheel decals were a bit too much and were quickly removed.
Likes For ParamountScapin:
Old 02-09-21, 02:00 PM
y0x8
Ups!

The current generation does not yet know what happened. Here is the very first bike in the world with a new transmission "NEWFIX". It has already become a rarity and a priceless thing a priori. Descendants will see new designs based on this transmission, which will take their rightful place in the cycling world. For example, here is such a design, while in the draft version:

As you can see, the ergonomic calculation of the landing on the Rudge Rotary Newfix has already been carried out.
Gear ratio calculation. The first overclocking gear is 1. 5x54=81". The developed speed is 46.5 km / h. The second high-speed transmission is 1. 5x2. 5=3.75. In inches, this is 3.75 x 54=202.5". The developed speed is 116 km / h.
For a high, the pleasure is enough.

Last edited by y0x8; 02-09-21 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 02:58 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by repechage
the "measles" Serotta must have been for a King of the mountain tribute bike.
Actually I would write to Ben Serotta, oddball enough that the backstory is probably interesting.
I can confirm that the KoM connection is explicit.

It seems a bit odd that they left off the 's' -- maybe a trademark issue?

When I ride this bike, I like to imagine myself as a rouleur for one of the minor teams in the Tour who got the points over a couple of Cat 4 climbs in a breakaway on stage one. Taylor Phinney got the KoM jersey like this in 2017 on stage 2 before finishing 146th on the day. I was inspired.

There is at least one other one like this, The owner of the other one had it repainted and kept the polka dots but changed it to "Jester of the Mountain" -- https://thepaceline.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117821

The biggest thing keeping me from having it repainted is that I would feel silly having the polka dots recreated if I did, but I feel like the polka dots ought to stay as a piece of this bike's history.

Originally Posted by repechage
Those Colnago airbrush dot extravaganzas just don't do much for me, but some are willing to pay the big bucks.
I've got a Colnago from that era, but it's like they forgot to finish painting it. It has the air brushed graphics on the top tube, but it's all white aside from that. Not even worthy of being pictured on this thread.
Old 02-09-21, 03:25 PM
ParamountScapin 

Andy K - is that a CSi or Atlanta frame? Wish I had been smart enough to keep my '97 CSi.
Old 02-09-21, 05:41 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by ParamountScapin
Andy K - is that a CSi or Atlanta frame? Wish I had been smart enough to keep my '97 CSi.
I honestly don't know enough to properly identify it. I think it was built in 1987 (purely numeric serial number, starts with '7'). The fork crown looks like this:

(Just a larger 'S' on the other side)

So, what does that make it? Colorado (without additional qualifiers)?
Old 02-09-21, 05:46 PM
ParamountScapin 

Afraid I cannot answer with any authority. Especially as most any fork could be ordered with any frame.
Serotta made (makes?) nice bikes. I understand that Ben Serotta has the name back and is making Ti, only, bikes. At the prices I see for bespoke bikes these days it is probably something he could not resist.

Last edited by ParamountScapin; 02-09-21 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 12:19 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch View Post
"Custom" (extra cost) paint graphics on Cannondales (early '90s?) that looked like paint dabbed on with a sponge in about five seconds. Can't find a pic yet.
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Those graphics were originally used at Cannondale when they were having trouble with their heat-treating process; frame tubes ended up slightly but visibly warped. The alignment of those frames was perfect, the sales rep assured us; the warping was only a cosmetic problem. The splotches of paint were meant to distract from the warping. Dubbing the paint "custom graphics": classic "it's a feature, not a bug" end run.
So, the graphics covered the defects ***AND*** they charged more for the privilege!
Old 02-10-21, 12:26 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
111 posts and no one has mentioned Pegoretti? Yeah, yeah.... he was one of the best ever, and beauty in the eye of the beholder and all... But these look like the frames he used in order to wipe his paintbrushes on...

Old 02-10-21, 12:51 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
111 posts and no one has mentioned Pegoretti? Yeah, yeah.... he was one of the best ever, and beauty in the eye of the beholder and all... But these look like the frames he used in order to wipe his paintbrushes on...
yeah... it's definitely a matter of personal taste. I haven't warmed up to many of his paint schemes. I do kinda like the white one w/color splotches that you used as an example (shown below)

I've only seen two Pegoretti's in person.
One was at the 2009 NAHBS, as part of the Brooks booth (it had a fuzzy Brooks saddle on it, IIRC)

the other Pegoretti I've seen belongs to a local fellow. It's much more subdued... almost stealthy, really. Maybe the outrageous Pegoretti paint schemes are just show bikes?

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 02-11-21, 06:02 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
So, the graphics covered the defects ***AND*** they charged more for the privilege!

As I recall, Cannondale didn't charge extra for the custom graphics at first, when the objective was to distract from the warped tubes.
Old 02-11-21, 01:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts

Post #96 Dave Kirk frame with Pegorreti paint

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-11-21, 03:28 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Sorry if this is too much BMX stuff but here's a odd 80's FAD that was cool and completely dorky at the same time. BMX Grand Prix / F1.

There was another BMX fad at the time called GPV or Gravity Racing. Where kids were going to the top of a mountain and riding down it as fast as they could on a BMX using gravity. Well to go faster you obviously had to make your bike more aerodynamic!!! Here is some armature GPV racing in action.

But what if you don't want to risk your life going down a mountain on a 20" bike at break neck speeds? Even worse is what if you don't even live by a Mountain??? Well with the bike companies BMX sales slowing down they got together and created a new sport. BMX Grand Prix!! with the bikes ironically called F1. They took the aerodynamics of downhill BMX bikes and created one of the most boring bicycle sports in history.

Here's the Ultimate F1 the Hutch HPV. believe it or not but the fairings actually do make it go faster.

There was other non-fairing designs.

Pic borrowed from Google

Pic borrowed from Google

The bikes looked fast and futuristic but the racing was kinda dorky. It was basically a 10 min heat/sprint around a road course often set up in a parking lot. Didn't have the jumps and excitement of BMX/MTB and didn't have the speed and distance of road racing.
Old 02-11-21, 11:58 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Originally Posted by cbrstar
Sorry if this is too much BMX stuff but here's a odd 80's FAD that was cool and completely dorky at the same time. BMX Grand Prix / F1.

There was another BMX fad at the time called GPV or Gravity Racing. Where kids were going to the top of a mountain and riding down it as fast as they could on a BMX using gravity. Well to go faster you obviously had to make your bike more aerodynamic!!! Here is some armature GPV racing in action. GPV BMX 1988 Rotorua nz - YouTube

But what if you don't want to risk your life going down a mountain on a 20" bike at break neck speeds? Even worse is what if you don't even live by a Mountain??? Well with the bike companies BMX sales slowing down they got together and created a new sport. BMX Grand Prix!! with the bikes ironically called F1. They took the aerodynamics of downhill BMX bikes and created one of the most boring bicycle sports in history.

Here's the Ultimate F1 the Hutch HPV. believe it or not but the fairings actually do make it go faster.

There was other non-fairing designs.

Pic borrowed from Google

Pic borrowed from Google

The bikes looked fast and futuristic but the racing was kinda dorky. It was basically a 10 min heat/sprint around a road course often set up in a parking lot. Didn't have the jumps and excitement of BMX/MTB and didn't have the speed and distance of road racing.
Funny cars!
Old 02-12-21, 04:06 AM
ElCani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
I fear the '89 Raleigh Appalachian frame I'm in the process of building up falls into this category...

Old 02-12-21, 10:49 AM
y0x8
Ups!

For posterity, color perversions are not remembered. Something technical is remembered. Like the torsion of the frame masked by apples. My newfix is remembered purely technically: isn't it?!