Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Old 05-07-22, 03:44 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I'm not so sure about getting the Gitane all together and under budget and on time. That does not mean I'm out of the clunker challenge.

Today at $100 even this crusty critter is looking to be "it"
I'll take some closer shots later
Old 05-07-22, 05:00 PM
Mr. 66

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-07-22, 06:06 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
THAT is a very cool clunker. $8 in the budget for pedals.
Old 05-07-22, 06:57 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Roadworthy!

In two bursts of misprioritized time I finished up the LeTour’s build. In the wee hours of the morning I installed the freewheel and the new/old IRC tires. I fitted the SunTour Blaze derailleurs and shifters, using one new and one used shift cable - call it $4 total, $1 for the used one and $3 for one from the stash. The original chain, post-Evapo Rust bath and soak in 30W, went on next. Once I got the front mech high enough to clear the SR oval chainrings, I was delighted to find it indexes very nicely.

Next was the saddle and seat post. I realize the rails are bent, and I think a taller saddle would let me put just that much more seat post in the frame to meet the minimum insertion line.

Bars and stem were next. and I added the calipers and went to bed.

This morning after breakfast I raided the storage unit for bits I thought I might need. Of course they were in the bottom two Rubbermaid bins in the back of the unit …

I brought back a set of Look pedals ($0, given to me on the Mercian that is now my son’s ride), a Shimano bottom bracket I may install later, a set of Dia-Compe Blaze hoods I didn’t need after all, and all the used bar tape I could find. I’ll have to go back tomorrow for the Vetta saddle that came with a Univega I got last year.

I know it has been suggested that I run the bike with the cockpit arrangement it came with -

- but there are some lines even I cannot cross. So I helped the bike molt, so to speak -

- and got to work. Because the original brake cables were both stainless and good, I wound up greasing them and using the original housings and dialing them in. I was grateful for the brake centering wrench for that!

After realizing I didn’t have enough black bar tape, I decided to go wholly clunker and pieced together the green stuff that came with last year’s Specialized Sirrus.

I took it for a very quick spin around the parking lot and I think I’m going to enjoy this!

Last edited by rustystrings61; 05-08-22 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 05-07-22, 07:00 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
nlerner

I have a fawn-ish colored doeskin (I think?) hide that has been sitting around for years and I would be glad to cut an appropriate size and send it to you. Very soft stuff, maybe too soft for the task but let me know.
Old 05-07-22, 08:02 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Yes, it's all as you described. I was hoping the crankset would be a Royal, but it's not etched into the arms, so I'm assuming it's a Super Apex. The frame is 48cm.
HUGE win on the find. I just noticed the barcons...for some reason didn't see them first. Let me know if you want to convert to down-tubes; I might have something that matches for you (Also found a SunTour VX hub of all things).
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-08-22, 11:11 AM
Campagnerdo 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
It's enjoyable to see everyone's finds, and their progress with them, on a budget, no less. I don't like to "force" my acquisitions, but this one fell into my lap within the timeline, so I guess I'm in this time. You might initially Cannondale, but I recognized the Klein Performance, with some Dura Ace bits. It has a broken spoke on the front wheel, has some corrosion on the frame, and needs maintenance, but a good start. I paid $60.
Likes For Campagnerdo:
Old 05-08-22, 11:31 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
nlerner

I have a fawn-ish colored doeskin (I think?) hide that has been sitting around for years and I would be glad to cut an appropriate size and send it to you. Very soft stuff, maybe too soft for the task but let me know.
Thanks, but not worth the cost of mailing. I should be able to find something locally or I’ll just leave it as is.

Btw, the mention function still doesn’t work; you need to avoid the pop up: @RustyJames.
Old 05-08-22, 02:14 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
So I guess I'm in this year. I've wanted to do this in the past but am too scatterbrained to keep accurate track of expenses. Until yesterday, I harvested this sweet Nishiki from my local Collective:

I Paid $100.00 on the money but they gave me a $25.00 gift card to a local pizza joint to sweeten the deal so I'm calling it $75.00 spent so far. Shouldn't need much to get er up and running....
Old 05-08-22, 04:38 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
On the road again

This morning I raided the storage unit again, returning one saddle and fetching the Vetta from the '86 Univega Arrow Pace I bought late last year for $24.99 - so I set the value at $5 for the saddle. Once back at the shack, I installed it and tweaked height and position on the rails, but not quite enough. I put the bike on the work stand again and did a little more spoke wrench work to get the wheels to run true, cinched the headset locknut down and played with everything to make sure it all worked and was secure. I remembered the bike came with a bottle cage, and fished it out, slathered the mounting bolts with grease and screwed 'em down.

It was surprisingly cool today for South Carolina in May, so I waited for it to warm up, which gave me an opportunity to put away all the tools and cleaning supplies used to get the LeTour to where it is, vacuum up all the dirt that came out of the old tires when I pulled them and do some laundry. Finally at 4:15 or so it reached the mid-60s and I decided it was time.

I barely got out of the parking lot before I pulled over to fish the multi-tool out to raise the saddle another centimeter - Look pedals + non-Brooks saddle = 79 cm center of BB to saddle top, period. then after another mile and a half or so I pulled over again to loosen the seat post clamp and smack the saddle back as far as it would go on its rusty rails. My quads were much happier after that.

I took a route I used to ride 40 years ago or so, one that normally has too much traffic now. The gift of Sunday afternoon and everyone being at the lake carried me along nicely and quietly - and very, very slowly! - up the long hill of Deadfall Road, across the scary intersection at 246 and on to the light where I crossed U.S. 25. The section between there and Dixie Drive was reconfigured a few years back, making it much shallower and smoother. I kinda miss the crazy near-switchback turn it originally had.

Feeling brave - this was my second ride for 2022, and I haven't ridden regularly since early October - I turned right to follow Deadfall down the long hill to Pine Drive, once a staple of the old Greenwood Cycling Club that led out from the local Y parking lot. I got down in the drops and got as aero as I could manage, and the old Schwinn rolled smoothly along, making the turn onto Pine predictably and well. I went for the small ring as I crossed the bridge and started up the climb, then cheated and took the left turn that returned me to Dixie, sparing myself a nasty hill. Dixie being essentially flat, it was a easy mile or so to four-lane Calhoun Road, which became Northside Drive as I re-crossed U.S. 25 and muscled up the short little rise.

It wasn't quite all downhill from there, but it's pretty close. I stopped to check my phone when I heard it ding and responded to my wife's text, then back on the old bike and down along the last stretch of Northside, grateful that it's a 35 mph speed zone because it's really too narrow for the volume of traffic it gets. When I turned into the parking lot, I decided to ride all the way to the back of the apartment complex, as I'd never bothered to go back there before, then looped back in.

I realized I hadn't taken any pictures while out on the ride, so for now here's how the LeTour - now called Champagne Charlie in honor of both its color and of Leon Redbone - looked after I finished up.

Observations -

1. The SunTour Blaze indexing derailleurs worked very nicely, making reasonably crisp shifts. If I had a chain and freewheel that had never been allowed to rust to an interesting texture, it would probably be excellent. As it was, I found the gear I was looking for every time.

2. The cheap used 25mm IRCs felt very nice at 80 psi or so.

3. As always, once I've been on the bike for a couple of miles, any peculiarities start melting away and it's just a bike beneath me. This is a quality machine that has been badly neglected, and if I were to keep it I would find some replacement cones for the front hub (and I may do that, as I think I have some in the stash!) and a decent bottom bracket to replace the Horror that is Hatta down there.

4. It probably deserves better bar tape, and I may splurge $9 or so for a set from the 'Bay.

5. I sincerely wish this bike was about 1-2 cm taller and longer. The 56 cm top tube is just enough too short and the drop from saddle height to bar tops is just enough to be mildly annoying. Pity, and maybe if I threw some money at the bike and got a taller seat post and a Nitto Technomic stem ...

Still - nice old bike, rides much better than it looks, and I now have 17.3 km under my belt.

Total to date -

$15.00 - acquisition of the bike
$10.70 - pair of used tires, plus tax
$4.00 - value of one used and one new shift cable from the stash
$5.00 - value of one used Vetta saddle scavenged from another clunker
$0.00 - value of used Look pedals given to me with a free bike
$0.00 - value of scavenged nasty green bar tape

So, $34.70. And who knows, maybe I'll finish up with this bike and go for entry number two with the Univega!

Last edited by rustystrings61; 05-09-22 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-08-22, 05:19 PM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Inaugural ride this afternoon mostly happy but with a couple of notes, one serious.

First time I tried to upshift the rear cluster, the rear derailleur would not budge. I flipped the bike, and it appeared to be a stuck cable. Jiggled it loose and carried on, seemed to work the rest of the way. Not very smooth or reliable shifting. I’ll have to fiddle with that. I found the fitment and adjustment instructions on the internet.

Serious problem -- Bike actually has a nice enough ride feel. But the steering is amiss. I try to ride hands off, it veers hard left every time. Might be my imagination, but it kind of leans to the left when riding in a straight line as well. Front fork bent? More investigation needed.
Likes For darnet:
Old 05-09-22, 06:31 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
1997? Jamis Quest

Ok, I'll play. This looks like too fun not to. Humbly submitted for your consideration is this 1997 (1998, 1999?) Jamis Quest complete with Shimano RSX components. Drive train is 3x7. I bought this on Craigslist last fall for trainer purposes and used it half-heartedly as such over the colder months. It is perhaps a hair small for me, but I bought it knowing this so my wife could use it on the trainer, as well. I paid $100.00.

It had a bulging tire, which was merely a tube doubled over on itself. I fixed that and added "new" bar tape off of an old set of trekking bars I had. I view this as being fully depreciated as no one would have bought the tape. I also had to spray the brifters liberally with WD-40 to get them to index again. Then, I "fixed" a cut in the rear derailleur cable tubing with electrical tape. Not elegant, but it works.

As I will be primarily commuting and recreational riding during my challenge, I took off the original 1990's Shimano SPD pedals (used but work great) and replaced them with a pair of parts bin highly worn Wellgo platform pedals from my wife's Trek 7.2 FX. In my mind, this is either a net wash or a slight deduction.

Here is my outlay assessment:

Bike purchase: $100

Bar tape (used, fully depreciated): $0

Electrical tape: $.25

WD-40: $.25

Wellgo pedal swap (perhaps -$10.00 as I took off Shimano SPD pedals)

Thus, I put my total investment at around $90.50. I hope the tires hold out - they are old 700x23 Vittorias - I am not used to such skinny tires! While this was never a high-end bike, I struggle to call it a complete clunker as it fairly responsive.

I've got 7.5 miles in today - I will try to uploads photos shortly.

Last edited by TrekCommuter; 05-09-22 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 06:34 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
1997? Jamis Quest

Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
Ok, I'll play. This looks like too fun not to. Humbly submitted for your consideration is this 1997 (1998, 1999?) Jamis Quest complete with Shimano RSX components. Drive train is 3x7. I bought this on Craigslist last fall for trainer purposes and used it half-heartedly as such over the colder months. It is perhaps a hair small for me, but I bought it knowing this so my wife could use it on the trainer, as well. I paid $100.00.

It had a bulging tire, which was merely a tube doubled over on itself. I fixed that and added "new" bar tape off of an old set of trekking bars I had. I view this as being fully depreciated as no one would have bought the tape. I also had to spray the brifters liberally with WD-40 to get them to index again. Then, I "fixed" a cut in the rear derailleur cable tubing with electrical tape. Not elegant, but it works.

As I will be primarily commuting and recreational riding during my challenge, I took off the original 1990's Shimano SPD pedals (used but work great) and replaced them with a pair of parts bin highly worn Wellgo platforms pedals from my wife's Trek 7.2 FX. In my mind, this is either a net wash or a slight deduction.

Thus, I put my total investment at around $90.50. I hope the tires hold out - they are old 700x23 Vittorias - I am not used to such skinny tires!

Drive train side

Electrical tape was used...a lot...it shifts quite well now.
Old 05-09-22, 06:50 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
First repair complete: rewrapped the existing bar tape to cover the unsightly gap at the bend, and to uncover the center section of the handlebars:

Also trued the wheels and tuned the brakes a bit. Rode around the neighborhood a few times; maybe 1 mile worth.
So total outlay:
$75 bike
.25 electrical tape
for a total of $75.25.

Mileage: 1!

On my way!
Old 05-09-22, 07:24 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCommuter

As I will be primarily commuting and recreational riding during my challenge, I took off the original 1990's Shimano SPD pedals (used but work great) and replaced them with a pair of parts bin highly worn Wellgo platform pedals from my wife's Trek 7.2 FX. In my mind, this is either a net wash or a slight deduction.

Thus, I put my total investment at around $90.50. I hope the tires hold out - they are old 700x23 Vittorias - I am not used to such skinny tires! While this was never a high-end bike, I struggle to call it a complete clunker as it fairly responsive.

I bought a Jamis Quest in 2011. It was discounted for the end of season, but still a lot more than $100. I like C&V bikes, but the Quest is my go-to for all day comfort.
Old 05-09-22, 08:19 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Would this count? It's my dad's, and he only spent a maximum of $50 on it between a new handlebar, grips, and inner tubes. It was found in the trash and I still can't find any information on it online. Seems like a generic Taiwanese road bike from the 1970s or 1980s, probably hi-tensile steel. I just put 9.1 miles on it today. I'm going to add maybe $0.50 worth of dry lube to the chain and gears tomorrow. It did need some derailleur adjustment but now it shifts fine.

Likes For molleraj:
Old 05-09-22, 08:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
^ Bonus points for the vaguely Italian sounding marque.
Old 05-09-22, 08:44 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by nlerner
^ Bonus points for the vaguely Italian sounding marque.
Ha! Exactly. Time to do some longer rides on this beater.
Old 05-10-22, 04:41 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Oooo...SunTour Honor...that will survive the apocalypse.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-10-22, 08:18 AM
molleraj

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Nice! It does seem to shift pretty well.
Old 05-10-22, 12:24 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc

I've got one of these that came to me on a 1977 Gitane Gypsy Sport. According to my fish scale, it weighs about three quarters of a pound. It's longevity is increased by the fact that I'll never be able to bring myself to put it on a bike.
Old 05-10-22, 02:08 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by Andy_K

I've got one of these that came to me on a 1977 Gitane Gypsy Sport. According to my fish scale, it weighs about three quarters of a pound. It's longevity is increased by the fact that I'll never be able to bring myself to put it on a bike.
50g short of a pound. You can always use it fishing. But they were rock solid...or lead solid....

shimano positrons were a bit weighty as well...

Old 05-10-22, 02:21 PM
Mr. 66

The wheels have been cleaned, the frame is washed, the brakes as well. The chrome has gotten attention. I haven't serviced anything yet. Everything spins as they should, the freewheel is Dura Ace.

Most of issues of clean boiled down to failing clear coat, it's become glazed, is chipping susceptible to stain, and is no longer protection for the chrome. If anything the clear is encapsulating oxidation and tinted with ingrained dirt. I've been scratching and rubbing the clear with just a wet paper cloth. I need to be careful at the fade. I've gotten most of the seattube chrome taken care of, I may still come out with my linen tester to detail around the branding.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-10-22, 04:42 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Put another ten+ miles on the clunker today. No pics as I ate too many shrooms.
Old 05-10-22, 09:03 PM
molleraj

I took the Capri Cordova out for a 14.84 mile ride today, getting me up to 24 miles so far (9.15 miles + 14.84 miles). I had lots of problems with spontaneous gear changes and shifting that I now attribute to the rusty derailleur cable having unwanted friction against the housing. Adjusting cable tension up or down plus adjusting the high screw on the rear derailleur didn't help. Perhaps I need new cables and housings, ugh. Pictures coming soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.