Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I install a 9070 groupset on my 2014 Cervelo S3?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 06:33 PM
Xcessiv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,

I own a 2014 Cervelo S3. I absolutely love the frame itself. From a pure frame perspective, I don't think I would be "that" happier with something much better on paper like let's say a Madone.

On the other hand, the 6800 groupset is showing its age and I've always dreamed of jumping the Di2 bandwagon.

The used market is quite bad here; there is simply no decently priced di2 aero bike with the proper geometry (I'm only 165cm tall...).

I don't have too many options when it comes to 11v rim-focused di2 groupsets. Merlin and the like are OOS, AliExpress is quite expensive (1100$+ for a 8050 mini gruppo with questionable authenticity) and the used market is as expensive as brand new groupsets. I guess I missed the great clearance sales from 2018 to 2020.

I found a local deal. The guy took a Xprezo bike and pimped it with a full 9070 gruppo (except for the crankset) and other up-to-date components (BB, saddle, wheels, etc). According to him, the gruppo was taken off a 2017 bike and has roughly 4 000 miles on the odometer (debatable, but it physically does look like really low-mileage scratch-less components). The frame is from 2013, made of Columbus Spirit tubing, and Xprezo has a great reputation (here, at least).

He's asking 1150$. My plan is to swap the 9070 components with my 6800 ones. His bike has everything needed for the swap (cable stops with external cables, etc).

Good idea? Is 1150$ a good price for this combo?

How much would you ask for the ending result (a 2013-built Columbus Spirit frame, from a well known local builder, with 6800 components)?

What else would you recommend? Am I wasting my time on something that is totally obsolete and at end-of-life?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-19-22, 07:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Interesting.

Xprezo apparently went out of business in 2016 but also apparently built some first-rate machinery while in business. However .... is there a market for a ten-year-old steel frame with worn-out last-gen Ultegra? No idea ... and I am sure different areas have different markets. So as for resale value .... scan your local Craigslist and pick a number.

I have a clone of a Cervelo R-series of about that vintage so I can understand your love for the frame. I'd say, if you trust the condition of the Dura-Ace group, go for it .... with the prices groups sets are fetching now, you won't be getting even a new 105 group for twice that for a while, if ever.

of course it isn't my money, so it is an easy choice for me.

On the other hand 6800 is a wonderful group in its own right. While I would love electronic shifting, I can't justify it to myself. (See how differently I think when it is my money?)

I guess it comes down to how long you think the D-A group will last. If it is only a couple years old ..... but its internals could have been beaten to death without many external scratches .... the guy might ride 15K per year and just not crash and is careful taking his bike off its rack.
Old 10-19-22, 10:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
There isn't much support by Shimano for Di2 earlier than current. If a part fails you may be scrounging ebay. Maybe do some research as to which parts of that group are still available and which will leave you having to start over.