Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

True it or rebuild it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

True it or rebuild it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True it or rebuild it?

Yes I searched, no I didn't find what I was looking for.

I have a set of HED Ardennes plus LT wheels, of which the front is not in good shape. I got pushed off the road by a cop a while back and ended up in a a ditch...long story but at the end of the day the front wheel ended up very out of true in both directions. Had a local shop fix it (and said that there is no hop) but honestly they did a ****ty job and now it's only slightly less bad. Rideable but the brakes pulse like a car with warped rotors when you stand on the brake pedal. Went back to school, got busy, and hung the bike up last summer. Ready to start riding again now that all classes/labs/clinicals are online, but all the shops are closed and a new wheel is north of $500. I'm looking at a truing stand and some decent tools to fix the wheel, but should I loosen all the spokes and approach it as a rebuild or just start tightening everything up? I know everyone is going to ask for specifics that I don't have the answer to - I am rather inquiring generally as to how those who have experience in working with salvageable wrecked wheels would approach this. Like I said it's plenty out of true but actually rideable and supposedly has no hop. Appreciate all insight.
Old 04-02-20, 02:20 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
No, don't rebuild. Some spokes are just out of true. Get a truing stand and begin by tightening loose spokes where the braking surface touches the calipers of the truing stand. Do the same amount of turns on the spoke wrench of each loose spoke until the wheel no longer rubs the calipers.
Old 04-02-20, 02:32 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
If I thought it was trued but not equalized and it still has a radial hop, I'd back the tension off and treat it like a rebuild.
Absent that radial hop, see if you can improve the true and equalize tension.
Old 04-02-20, 02:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983
Yes I searched, no I didn't find what I was looking for.

I have a set of HED Ardennes plus LT wheels, of which the front is not in good shape. I got pushed off the road by a cop a while back and ended up in a a ditch...long story but at the end of the day the front wheel ended up very out of true in both directions. Had a local shop fix it (and said that there is no hop) but honestly they did a ****ty job and now it's only slightly less bad. Rideable but the brakes pulse like a car with warped rotors when you stand on the brake pedal. Went back to school, got busy, and hung the bike up last summer. Ready to start riding again now that all classes/labs/clinicals are online, but all the shops are closed and a new wheel is north of $500. I'm looking at a truing stand and some decent tools to fix the wheel, but should I loosen all the spokes and approach it as a rebuild or just start tightening everything up? I know everyone is going to ask for specifics that I don't have the answer to - I am rather inquiring generally as to how those who have experience in working with salvageable wrecked wheels would approach this. Like I said it's plenty out of true but actually rideable and supposedly has no hop. Appreciate all insight.
I have to disagree with hrdknox1. “...out of true in both directions” sounds like a classic “taco” or “potato chip” shape that indicates the rim is bent. That can’t be fixed simply by loosening and tightening spokes. The rim needs to be bent back into shape which can be hard to do with aluminum rims. You could try to find where the rim bends and push down on it (with lots and lots of force) to bend it back but that doesn’t always work.

Most likely you’ll need another rim. You might be able to use the spokes if you can find the same rim as you have now or if you can find one with the same ERD. That is often not easy to do. If you can find the right rim, it’s relatively trivial to loosen the spokes and transfer them from the old rim to the new one. Then tension the wheel. Since it’s a front one, that’s usually easy as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-02-20, 08:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Try both, do the truing job AGAP and see what happened. Then fall back on the long term repair and replace. Andy
Old 04-02-20, 08:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
This is a front wheel, if it isn't disc then both sides have equal tension. I would back all spokes off till I could see a single thread on each spoke, if it still seems like there's a good amount of tension on the spokes back each off a few more turns. Sometimes the warp that can appear is from the wheel being knocked and the spokes maintaining the warp, if the rim can be "reset" by having the spoke tension taken off this will do the job. The up side is that being a front wheel you now aren't dealing with other issues other mechanics may have put into the wheel but haphazardly trying to true it and with each spoke having the same number of threads showing you can start re-tensioning them. Being loose its also easy to get a little lube on the nipples so they won't seize up against the rim as you tighten them up. For the first couple rounds you can do half turns of the nipples, as they start to get tighter use quarter turns. Once you start getting close to final tension make sure the wheel is true; if at this point the wheel has a lot of wobble to it or a number of spokes with really low or no tension while a few others seem like a lot more tense then the majority then you have a warped rim and you need to replace it. If tension seems fairly even and the rim only needs a little truing to get it straight then you're probably good to go, straighten it, make it round and finalize the tension.
Old 04-03-20, 01:30 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
If it's rideable now it could still be salvageable with a true. Worst case you try to true it to see how it spins. If the brake pulsation persists, you can decide to do a full rim replacement then.
Old 04-03-20, 03:10 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I wouldn't really ever zero tension--if it can be trued well, it can be done by balancing and adjusting the tension on a built wheel, or it can't. What I look for when I consider how trueable a wheel can be is how much the deviations from true appear to be the result of unequal spoke tensions. For example, if it's laterally untrue to the left, I'd expect the left spokes to be under more tension. If the opposite is true, then that just means the rim is bent. Sometimes you can effect a serviceable repair using unequal spoke tension to basically bend a bent rim into true if it's not too bad, but you'll never get it as good as a straight rim and the spokes will have decreased life as a result. If the rim is out significantly I'd buy an identical rim, tape it to the old rim in place, and transfer the spokes over. It's slightly faster to do it this way than doing a completely fresh relace. If you're rich on time and poor on money and willing to take a risk, you can also try to zero the wheel with slack tension and then physically bend the rim closer to true before retensioning and truing the wheel. TBH this takes too long given the inconsistent results to do in a commercial setting so I actually have really little experience (I'm a pro mechanic.)