Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike for tall person, need advice.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 07-22-21, 11:16 PM
MRei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

My height is 206cm and my inseam length is 103cm. According to the Lemond seizing method (0.883 x inseam length) I need a seat height of 906mm.

I finally found a bike that seems to be large enough and is available: Canyon Grizl CF SL 8 1by with a 2XL frame size.

Canyon provides dimensions for the frame, seat height is max 903mm and the top tube is 627mm long. So in theory this bike should be fine for me.

However, I found a review on BikeRadar where the reviewer mentioned that the frame size chart recommends for him S size, but he felt more comfortable on a M size frame.

Therefore I now wonder if the 2XL frame is large enough for me.

Unfortunately I don't have a bike and so far I was unable to find (Auckland, New Zealand) any gravel bike even close enough to what I need to give me an impression what frame size will work for me.

So, I'm a bit uncomfortable ordering a bike online that might end up being to small for me.

I'm hoping to find here someone who is also tall and can give me advice on frame size.

Many thanks for any advise that can be provided.
Old 07-23-21, 12:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

Ok, so I use a bit of a mix of measurements.
206cm = 6'9"

At least the 2XL is the only they list in Stock.

Canyon Grizl CF SL 8
Body Height: > 194cm
Seat Height: 803 to 903mm
Seat Tube Length: 612mm
TT length: 627mm
HT length: 204mm
HT Angle: 72.75°
ST Angle: 73.5°
Chainstay Length: 435mm
Wheelbase: 1086mm
Stack 634mm
Reach 436mm
Standover 892mm
BB offset 75mm
Stack 737mm
Reach 515mm

Ok, I think the seatpost is 27.2 x 350mm, Carbon Fiber

3mm seat height may or may not be significant. You can purchase 400 and 450mm seatposts if you want.

It also listed 175mm cranks.
Old 07-23-21, 12:07 AM
CliffordK

Did you mention your weight?

On the website:
The permissible maximum overall weight comprising rider, luggage and bicycle should not exceed 120 kg (264.5 lbs)
That really isn't bad for the weight.
Old 07-23-21, 01:04 AM
CliffordK

I'd say that is an interesting bike. As far as I can tell, it is one size larger than most other big name brands are making. I'm not seeing other bikes with top tubes > 60cm. And, it takes some huge tires.

Bikes for Tall Cyclists: Road, Gravel, Touring, Commuter In XXL XXXL 62, 63, 64cm+

Best Bikes for Tall People: Road to Mountain

DirtySixer make some of the more unique off-road bikes, but apparently not road/cross bikes at the moment.

What kind of bicycle are you riding at the moment? I think it looks like you are right at the maximum size for the Canyon, but that may or may not be a problem.

There are a few "vintage" tall road bikes for sale. At least the local ones seem to be limited to about 62cm for the top tube. But, mighty tall seat tubes.

Parlee makes full custom carbon fiber bikes. And, that would be an option, but I'm not sure you need to go down that path.
Old 07-23-21, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What bike experience are you coming from? I personally would have to try them out before purchasing.

Some will feel great on large frames where others will feel great on small frames. Many will feel great on the size bike the manufacturer recommends.
Old 07-23-21, 12:44 PM
Dairy Crate

Bikes: Canyon Endurace XXL, Nishiki International

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Large enough. Available. Pick one!

Was in this spot recently. 10cm shorter than you, and I ended up with a Canyon Endurace XXL and pleased. Not experienced enough to guide your fit, but a data point for you. Ordering sight unseen or cu$tom seem like the only choices these days. Canyon return policy lowers your risk.

Am 196cm with 96cm inseam, 190 lbs - long legs, lesser torso and non-ape reach ('square' wingspan 196cm). Am not very flexible, so struggle with seat/bar drop due to cranked up seatpost. Basically want stack without big reach - 'endurance' geometry fits the bill.

Have always ridden 61cm/XL bikes as the largest commonly available - most recently a 2015 Specialized Allez with a cracked dropout (no warranty, non-repairable). But maybe ill-sized. So I took that bike to a reputable fitter - also brought geometry numbers for representative bikes 61-64cm that might work, maybe available - Roubaix, Cervelo Caledonia, Canyon, etc. Great experience, low cost wisdom. Fitter showed me (awkward!) video of myself, jacknifed reaching down to bars and suggested a bigger bike for more comfortable posture. The Canyon was the only available. And nice value for specs.

So I ended up with a XXL Endurace but shortened to a 100 stem from 110 for reach - 90mm might even suit me. Canyon's fitting guide puts me on the smaller XL regardless of inseam entered, but that's at limit of seat height and basically same geometry as old Allez. Can you reference geometry to an existing bike? Can't post links, but 99spokes is helpful (99spokes.com/compare?bikes=canyon-grizl-cf-sl-8-2021;*z.XXL|w.700,canyon-endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2-2021;*z.XXL|w.700). You're a big person. Grizl is 20mm more stretched out, wide 46cm bars - seems possible. But next size up is probably a custom ride?
Old 09-12-21, 12:57 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Not sure if the OP is still around, but if so, check out Leonard Zinn's website. He is himself a tall cyclist and has made a niche in designing bikes for tall riders.
Old 09-13-21, 09:49 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
The bike would be a bit small for you, but I think manageable.

My inseam is about 87.5cm, and I still don't even have ideal leg extension with my seat at almost 100cm. Lemonds x 0.883 is very accurate and helpful, just keep in mind that with a longer than average inseam, you'll have a lot of room to play around with different seatheights. Expect to feel comfortable with a fairly low seat height.

Also, you would ideally want crank arms somewhere between 20.6-21.6% of your inseam length. You'd need a high bottom bracket for this to work. I know a Taiwanese forging company that makes cranksets in up to 220mm lengths.
Old 09-13-21, 09:52 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
My ideal crank arm length is up to 187.5 cm . I've used 190's and still do. With a bottom bracket height of 275mm like most gravel bikes, you wouldn't want to go any longer. I had to lift my inner crank around almost every turn.

For your inseam, I think around 200mm would suffice with most average bottom bracket heights if you are careful of pedal strikes.