Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Indoor/Outdoor winter bike setup?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-23-21, 06:55 PM
tdipail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts

I ride outdoors up until the salt is on the roads and then usually done til spring. But not this year because I picked up my first trainer to use with my sons bike that he no longer rides since he got his license. It seems pretty well built and it is quiet. I hope to stave off the typical 5-10lb winter gain here!

Last edited by tdipail; 09-24-21 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For tdipail:
Old 09-25-21, 07:28 PM
PapaEZ

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's a nice setup there. I never thought of using a trainer, but was looking at cycling machine's for my "man cave". Usually I put on 12-15 pounds during winter and only drop 10 during spring and summer over the last few years. Sad but true. Seeing your setup gives me few more ideas for being active during the winter months.

​​​​​​Thanks for sharing, take it easy.
Old 09-25-21, 08:32 PM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
LOL, same problem here. To alter the trajectory I am doing some other new things to increase activity
  • Mowing the lawn myself gives about 6,000 additional steps per week during the growing season April - November.
  • Grabbing the shovel instead of the snowblower for the lighter snow storms (if time allows, because it does take longer)
  • Getting a dog and walking it three times a day adds another ~25,000 - 30,000 per week. Plus he is my new best friend
  • Instead of driving I ride the bike to Fri night softball (10 miles round trip) and also for trips to the milk store, town hall, even Lowe's. Had to get good lights.
  • Dedicating at least half of a Sat or Sun for riding. I feel so good after a few hours on the bike.
If caloric intake was reduced just a bit I know a lot of weight would come off but this is the hard part because I live to eat, not eat to live - changing this mindset is the key

Old 01-05-22, 06:58 PM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I like riding a mountain bike in the winter with a 2” wide road tire for more surface contact and slower speeds that helps with the wind chill and it can also give one a harder work out due to added weight and more wind resistance.