Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 07:16 PM
Huggable

Bikes: 2021 Birdy GT Rohloff, 2007 Birdy Mark 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Green Basikal didn't organise the pictures into an album, hence you can read up the comments in each photo to piece together the puzzle.

Posted on 9 July by Green Basikal on Facebook:

Birdy conversion from 1x to 2x Chainrings. Objective is to have lower gear ratios for ease in climbing.

Contrary to many commonly seen Birdy conversions where riders just want to ride fast, faster and fastest, with increasing bigger chainrings, we actually swap the original 52T to 50/34T chainrings.

The original 52T w/11-32T (9s) Birdy has a range of 27.9 to 81.1".

With the swap to 50/34T double chainrings, the new improved gear ratios became 18.2 to 78".

Now he can C L I M B.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Originally Posted by Jipe
What model of Birdy do you have ?

What is the brand of the front derailleur mount used for the conversion ?

You could maybe post some pictures of it.
Likes For Huggable:
Old 08-17-21, 02:56 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
81,1" is really short, 78" is even worse !

I have a Brompton with Rohloff (54x13), the 19” to 102” range is really excellent. 102" is about 25% longer than 81.1" !
Old 08-29-21, 02:36 PM
JRat

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
81,1" is really short, 78" is even worse !

I have a Brompton with Rohloff (54x13), the 19” to 102” range is really excellent. 102" is about 25% longer than 81.1" !
The Birdy Rohloff is supplied with 52T / 13T which gives gearing of 19.9" to 104.4"and I'm planning to change the sprocket to 14T which drops the gearing to 18.4" - 97" which is very close to the gearing on my main bicycle. However, a double chainring with 11-32 casette will never give the gearing range of the Rohloff so theere has to be a compromise somewhere. My aborted project to put a double chainring (54 + 38) on a Birdy City (8 speed hub gear) would have given gearing of 22.3" to 97" with a 16T sprocket. 22.3" would be just OK for my worst local hill but it would have been easy to lower the gearing by fitting a bigger sprocket.
Old 08-30-21, 02:24 AM
Jipe

The slightly longer gear range of the Birdy Rohloff vs. my Brompton Rohloff is due to the slightly bigger wheels and mainly the bigger/wider/higher Big Apple tires.
Old 09-03-21, 07:34 PM
desmondk07

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huggable
I see. Come think of it, there's hardly any hills here in Singapore, hence generally 7-speeds onwards is sufficient for most of our commuting needs.

I'll be swapping out my SRAM X5 10 speed to the Rohloff hub next month, looking forward to the modification!
Hi- Is there a dealer in SG that actually help to convert to Rohloff Hub? If so I am keen to look at that also on my GT.

One qn - has anyone used a larger chainring say 58T vs 13t sprocket on Rohloff? I know is not known as a speed demon but technically the largest gear inch at gear 14 here (118”) would be much longer than most including R20

So at same candence rohloff would be faster? Or did i miss something?
Old 09-06-21, 08:59 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, Green Basikal is the Rohdoff dealer in SG. and I think for MY as well.
Old 09-09-21, 10:23 AM
JRat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desmondk07
One qn - has anyone used a larger chainring say 58T vs 13t sprocket on Rohloff? I know is not known as a speed demon but technically the largest gear inch at gear 14 here (118”) would be much longer than most including R20

So at same candence rohloff would be faster? Or did i miss something?
I haven't tried using a larger chainring and wonder if this would affect the foldability. My calculation suggests that extra 6 teeth increases the chainring diameter by about 24mm and you could do a visual check on the implications of this. A longer chain would be needed which might affect how easily it can be folded.

You are correct that a larger chainring will give a higher speed at a specific cadence and this applies through the whole gearing range. 58T instead of 52T increases the gearing by about 11.5% which is close to 1 step in the Rohloff gears. If you live in a relatively flat area with no need for the bottom gear or two then I would suggest that you try using a bigger chainring if only to find out if it works.
Old 09-09-21, 03:07 PM
Jipe

The current chain tensionner arm placed around the chainring limit the chainring size.
Old 09-09-21, 07:00 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm using a Ridea 56T oval chainring currently, and will be pairing it with at 13T sprocket on the Rodloff hub for a 20" to 108" range.

I have no problems folding with the 56T chainring, but not sure if 58T would be too big for folding.
Old 10-22-21, 01:16 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rodloff conversion done

Finally I got to collect my Rodloff after 2 month's wait. Just love the way the close ratio gearbox shifts!
Attached Images
Old 10-24-21, 01:40 AM
JRat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally I got to collect my Rodloff after 2 month's wait. Just love the way the close ratio gearbox shifts!
Enjoy. Shifting will further improve with use and the hub itself will become quieter. Make sure that the Ex-box is fully packed with grease. I find that this helps provide easier shifting.
Old 10-24-21, 10:42 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I'm enjoying every moment with the Rodloff hub!

Do you mean the click box?
Old 10-24-21, 11:52 AM
JRat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm enjoying every moment with the Rodloff hub!

Do you mean the click box?
That's another name for it.
Old 01-12-22, 09:20 AM
Jipe

Does anybody know is (assuming using a SRAM XDR body rear wheel that I have), a 10-44 SRAM 12s XPLR cassette will fit on a Birdy (from what I see on my Birdy with a 10s 9-32t cassette, it seems to me that the chain on the 44t will rub against the left stay) ?

Does anybody know what is the maximum biggest cog size possible ? I have now 32t, would 36t ou 40t fit?

P.S. : this cassette and the XDR body are road/gravel components, not MTB components.

Last edited by Jipe; 01-13-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-13-22, 09:26 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not the specific answer you are asking for, but the variables you could play around with when dealing with that stay are 1) bottom bracket spindle width 2) front chain-ring diameter and 3) granny cog diameter. If you are willing to trade off some power for easier climbs, you could get a smaller front chain ring with your existing cassette and BB.
Old 01-13-22, 10:03 AM
Jipe

My motivation is to get rid of the original Sunrace hub and cassette and at the same time have narrower spaced gears.

The range of this 9-32t cassette is enough but the hub isn't reliable and the cassette is very difficult to find in spare parts.

I have two options, either go as with my Ti Birdy with a 3T 11s 9-32 cassette for XD/XDR hub and Shimano Ultegra or 105 derailleur that works very well but with the drawback that this cassette is not really available anymore.

The other option is to go with a full SRAM transmission using a 12s SRAM XDR cassette and SRAM road or gravel derailleur but there are only two cassette that give at least the same range I have, the 10-36t and the new XPLR 10-44t (there are also smaller range cassettes, the other SRAM wide range cassettes are MTB and not road cassettes). The 12s offer also closer spaced gears.
Old 02-04-22, 08:35 AM
soulesss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on Stem Compatibility across models

I have a Birdy Classic BD-1 (unsure which mk), which comes with the fixed 10D unadjustable stem. I'm looking at purchasing a used adjustable stem, which was supposed to fit a Gen 2 Birdy. I have looked around to find any resource on the differences, and have not found much. does anyone know if a stem from gen 2 or 3 will fit a Birdy Classic BD-1?

Another question - what are the actual practical differences between a 10D vs a 25D? is there a guideline... which is suitable for taller/shorter riders?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-22, 10:24 AM
Jipe

There are two angles for the stem, Comfort 10 degree and Sport 21 degree.

As you can read (sorry its in Dutch but I think its understandable), it seems that the one for Birdy II also fit for Birdy I (there are two other versions for the Birdy III).

The Sport 21 degree fits better for taller rider while the Comfort 10 degree fits better shorter riders.

Note that both adjustable stem have two positions with two different reach values (s (the reach adjustment is done by rotating the top part of the stem by 180 degrees and moving the push button to the opposite side of the stem tube, there are two holes in the stem for this push button)
Pacific Cycles has also a fixed one piece lower 19 degree stem (which because its fixed has also no reach adjustment possibilities, its always the shorter reach).
Old 02-05-22, 12:05 AM
soulesss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's good to know! thanks alot!
Old 02-13-22, 12:05 AM
BabyCowHK

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Does anybody know is (assuming using a SRAM XDR body rear wheel that I have), a 10-44 SRAM 12s XPLR cassette will fit on a Birdy (from what I see on my Birdy with a 10s 9-32t cassette, it seems to me that the chain on the 44t will rub against the left stay) ?

Does anybody know what is the maximum biggest cog size possible ? I have now 32t, would 36t ou 40t fit?

P.S. : this cassette and the XDR body are road/gravel components, not MTB components.
With the default 52T chainring, we can only go with 11-34T cassette max. It was proven with the original B3 10SP Sports model from Pacific Cycles that was on offer 6 years ago. This model has been discontinued.

If you are considering to go with 9T-44T cassette, you might have to consider moving onto a 48T or even 44T chainring for a single chainring setup. You will be getting higher top and low gear ratio but high gear gap as you might already know.

My 3x10 Touring Birdy 3 is using 44T and 11-36T combo without the chain rubbing the rear fork.

I have a friend with a Frankenstein New Birdy Classic running 44T single chainring pairing with a 9-46T cassette. He initially used a Zee RD and eventually switched to SRAM Force AXS XPLR RD. (He replaced the stock v-brake forks with Birdy 2's disc brake forks.)

Old 02-13-22, 12:13 AM
BabyCowHK

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JRat
I haven't tried using a larger chainring and wonder if this would affect the foldability. My calculation suggests that extra 6 teeth increases the chainring diameter by about 24mm and you could do a visual check on the implications of this. A longer chain would be needed which might affect how easily it can be folded.

You are correct that a larger chainring will give a higher speed at a specific cadence and this applies through the whole gearing range. 58T instead of 52T increases the gearing by about 11.5% which is close to 1 step in the Rohloff gears. If you live in a relatively flat area with no need for the bottom gear or two then I would suggest that you try using a bigger chainring if only to find out if it works.
I am running this setup of 56/39T chainrings and 11-34T cassette. 56T will definitely be fine with a 1.5cm gap between the charinring teeth and the tensioner. Foldability is also ok with this setup. Given that my chainrings no longer have the chain guards, I have to make sure the chains are wrapping the large chainring properly.

I never go big-big or say cross chaining so the rear forking rubbing is never a problem to me.

I'm not so sure about 58T though.
Old 02-13-22, 02:47 AM
JRat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BabyCowHK
I am running this setup of 56/39T chainrings and 11-34T cassette. 56T will definitely be fine with a 1.5cm gap between the charinring teeth and the tensioner. Foldability is also ok with this setup. Given that my chainrings no longer have the chain guards, I have to make sure the chains are wrapping the large chainring properly.

I never go big-big or say cross chaining so the rear forking rubbing is never a problem to me.

I'm not so sure about 58T though.
Thanks for this information. I was thinking of resurrecting that project when I have time and inclination. One of the problems I previously encountered was the likely need to dismantle the cranks and to the chainrings out so that the front derailleur would work properly.
Old 02-13-22, 05:04 AM
BabyCowHK

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JRat
Thanks for this information. I was thinking of resurrecting that project when I have time and inclination. One of the problems I previously encountered was the likely need to dismantle the cranks and to the chainrings out so that the front derailleur would work properly.
Sorry that I didn't go through the whole thread, so what's your crankset? It should work just fine if you have the hollow shaft type crankset with a BSA 24 BB. Taper crankset is a no go. It will cause small chainring & big sprocket combo to scratch the rear fork above the fork pivot area. The chain line is too narrow.

This hollow shaft crankset can be directly converted to use a double chainring. The only requirement is to make sure that there is a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side or both sides to balance out the Q factor. And of course the rest of the FD mount and FD itself.

Some crazy mechanics I have seen installed two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side which kind of shifted the chain line too much. Don't make that mistake.

Old 02-14-22, 08:06 AM
Luna_sea83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi new birdy owner here,

Would like to check if any members here happen to install Token bb TK868TBT-119 square tapered onto their Gen 3 bodies here?

I am looking to use a particular crankset H&H square tapered instead of the common Ridea crankset and bb that everyone here seems to be using for their upgrades.

thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-22, 10:32 AM
Jipe

I do not think its a good idea to go back to the old square tapered BB.

These square taper are heavier and causes many problems like noise.

Moreover, many brands do not respect the JIS or ISO standards (ther are two official standrs for square taper) and mounting a square taper crankset from one brand on a square taper BB from another brand even if both are JIS or ISO often causes problems, the BB square going too far or not far enough in the square hole of the crankset.

The Birdy BB is a standard one, you can mount any standard BB in it, no need to use a Ridea BB on the Birdy.

There are excellent modern crankset from the main brands Shimano, Campagnolo (look ate the gorgeous Super Record carbon/titanium, its easy to find the old 5 arm model), SRAM. And also smaller brands like FSA.

The price/quality ratio of these crankset made/sold in much bigger quantities than the Ridea is much better.

My Birdy Titanium was factory equipped with a FSA SL-K Light carbon crankset with external bearings which is lightweight and fits perfectly in the Birdy.

Last edited by Jipe; 02-14-22 at 10:38 AM.

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.