Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

DIY Heated Liner Gloves

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

DIY Heated Liner Gloves

Old 11-27-18, 04:25 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
DIY Heated Liner Gloves

I made a heated glove liner to address the 3 minor gripes I have with the heated gloves I bought last year. Battery placement on the wrist interfering with glove fit, the heating elements being on the back of the hand, and the glove being a little bulky.

While I was at it I made an Instructable if anyone is interested in how I made them: https://www.instructables.com/id/Heated-Glove-Liners/

The most expensive part of this project would be the batteries / charger. In my case I can just use the batteries from my other gloves. But without the controller I will have just 1 heat setting. I have a new respect for people that build tutorials, it is fairly time consuming taking pictures while you are doing something, taking notes, editing the images, then creating a coherent set of instructions.
Old 11-27-18, 10:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Why did you not like the heating elements on the back of the hand?

My understanding is that the back of the hand is where there is greater blood flow and so more opportunity for heat transfer. Was this not the case for you?

I'm not trying to challenge but sincerely interested.

-Tim-
Old 11-27-18, 11:44 PM
gecho

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Why did you not like the heating elements on the back of the hand?

My understanding is that the back of the hand is where there is greater blood flow and so more opportunity for heat transfer. Was this not the case for you?

I'm not trying to challenge but sincerely interested.

-Tim-
I found the heating material worked best when pressed against my skin. As I'd grasp the handlebars my hands would be pulled away from the heating loop creating a gap, and the loop didn't seem to radiate well across it. My other gloves felt much warmer when worn on the opposite hands, but that seemed to be damaging them as I had 3 glove failures.

Also it seems like grasping anything with your typical synthetic glove squishes the insulation flat on the palm side wiping out a good deal of its insulating capabilities. I have wool gloves that work great since they don't compress much, but my hands freeze in larger gauntlets.
Old 11-28-18, 06:38 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Ah, makes sense, Thanks.

I've not tried wool gloves but have a pair of gloves made from Polartec Powerwool. Amazing stuff.

Thought about this thread last night when I rode at 30° with chemical warmers in my Swany gauntlet gloves.

-Tim-
Old 11-28-18, 08:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I made a heated glove liner to address the 3 minor gripes I have with the heated gloves I bought last year. Battery placement on the wrist interfering with glove fit, the heating elements being on the back of the hand, and the glove being a little bulky.

While I was at it I made an Instructable if anyone is interested in how I made them: https://www.instructables.com/id/Heated-Glove-Liners/

The most expensive part of this project would be the batteries / charger. In my case I can just use the batteries from my other gloves. But without the controller I will have just 1 heat setting. I have a new respect for people that build tutorials, it is fairly time consuming taking pictures while you are doing something, taking notes, editing the images, then creating a coherent set of instructions.
Great job! Hey, how long did your battery last?

Hmmm... this is stimulating some thought - sparking electrical currents between the last two brains cells I got left...

My snowblower has heated grips. Has anyone here tried heated grips? What sort of battery would you need for that?

Last edited by J.Higgins; 11-28-18 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 11:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by NoControl
Has anyone here tried heated grips? What sort of battery would you need for that?
Shimano BT-DN110

-Tim-
Old 11-28-18, 02:59 PM
gecho

Hmmm... this is stimulating some thought - sparking electrical currents between the last two brains cells I got left...

My snowblower has heated grips. Has anyone here tried heated grips? What sort of battery would you need for that?
I haven't been out with them yet, but the current draw is about the same as my other heated gloves set to high. So I'd say about 2.5 hours on 7.4v 1500 mah lipo pack, maybe around 4 hours on a 2 cell 18650 2600 mah pack.

The carbon rope material I used can get very toasty when using a 12 volt battery, 92 C at a length of 80 cm. The temperature varies with voltage, length and how much of the rope you use. The rope is made of 12 smaller ropes, so for my gloves I only used 2 of the 12 ropes in addition to the lower voltage.
Old 12-03-18, 12:27 AM
Hatsuwr

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They have carbon tape that should work well for the grips. I'm getting ready to try it out on my steering wheel, so might have to try the grips too.
Old 12-04-18, 09:20 PM
gecho

I made a second Instructable for toe warmers using the same material. https://www.instructables.com/id/Ins...-Heating-Pads/
It is considerably easier to make than the gloves, no glue, no silicone, but getting the loops down can be a little tricky.

Old 12-12-18, 02:03 PM
gecho

I took another crack at the glove design and made it a much easier project. Double sided fabric tape instead of glue / silicone, everything is inside the glove under a few pieces of polyester / spandex fabric. Also have the option of putting the finger heat on the front or back, thumb has both.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Hea...-Liners-Ver-2/

Old 11-04-21, 09:33 AM
gecho

I improved and simplified the design of my heated glove tutorial. The wire to carbon connection was the weak point in the old design. I came up with a method to make the connection much stronger and much smaller.

https://www.instructables.com/Heated-Gloves-Version-3/
Likes For gecho:
Old 11-07-21, 07:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I improved and simplified the design of my heated glove tutorial. The wire to carbon connection was the weak point in the old design. I came up with a method to make the connection much stronger and much smaller.
https://www.instructables.com/Heated-Gloves-Version-3/
fantastic!
Old 03-28-22, 02:56 PM
gecho

After making the 3rd version of my heated gloves I kind of regretted using a heavier glove, so around Christmas I made another pair that would fit inside my wool gloves. These ones are a bit different in that I can run both gloves off a single USB-C power bank using the 9V alternate voltage mode. I figured I should make another tutorial otherwise I'd forget how to make them the next time I need to make a pair.
https://www.instructables.com/Heated...B-C-Optimized/

Old 04-10-22, 12:39 AM
Tawraste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
How do they fare in the wet?
I tried a few things like this but have now settled for silver threaded liners, ice climbing gloves and above all neoprene covers for my shifters that my gloved hands go into. These also keep rain and salt out of the shifter mechanisms.
If the gloves stay dry, they are much much warmer.
Old 04-10-22, 07:39 AM
gecho

They work pretty good when they are damp. My hands often end up sweating during a long winter ride no matter what I do. Which likely contributes a lot to my hands being cold on the way home. The active heat helps offset the accelerated heat transfer.
Old 04-22-22, 07:51 PM
gecho

A few times I've looked for another source of the carbon fiber heat rope but never found one. With the supplier in Russia they can't accept paypal for the foreseeable future. So I made another effort to find a different source, but zilch. Which is really strange, I figured all the heating products coming out of China would use something similar but Aliexpress only has the finished products and no source of the raw carbon. The seller's instructables name is Shenzhen, which in itself suggests that he might source it from China but maybe it is manufactured in Russia. For a direct replacement to work with my tutorial I'd need something with a resistance of 20 ohms per meter.