Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What’s the deal with skream anodiz?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 08:57 PM
Milk_n_whisky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Been looking at one of these frames but can’t find much info online about it. Looks sleek is the pretty light and seems like it would be snappy. Anyone have experience with one? Or skream at all. Retrogression PDX has a few in stock but I’m not sure if I’m just falling for that hot pink flair.

Wanting to get into fixed gear full time and am building up my first full time bike. Any suggestions would be slick. Any frame under $800 ish.

want to make sure I’m buying a good bike and not just a color.
Old 11-08-21, 09:18 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Don't know anything about them, but I'm not sure I'd trust a full-carbon fork on a $400 frameset. Looks hipsterrific, but I'd be sure to buy from a dealer in case things go south.
Old 11-08-21, 09:20 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Skream is not as well known in the US but is quite popular outside the states.

If you've never ridden fixed before, you might consider buying a bike that is drilled for at least a front brake until you can safely skid.

Some of the more "hipster" fixed gear brands include Leader, Constantine, Aventon, Skream.

Cinelli Pista is a well known fixed gear. The Dolan Pre Cursa is a very good aluminum track frame. Mash SF and Squid make nice fixed gears.

For cheap steel frames, there's State Bicycle Co and the Mercier Kilo. Pricier steel ($400+) includes Wabi Cycles, Surly Steamroller, and All City (Super Pro, Nature Boy, Thunderdome).

This is by no means a comprehensive list. Do you care what material the bike is (steel, aluminum, etc)? Are you looking for more road/street geometry or track? Maybe get an idea of exactly where you plan to ride your bike and what you're looking for.

For your first time bike, for a complete bike I might suggest the Mercier Kilo TT for $500USD. If you're just looking to buy a frame it gives you a lot more options but will be more expensive overall to do a custom build.
Old 11-09-21, 02:06 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I was checking those out. Don't know much but I really like them and if I was going to build up a new bike I would probably go with that. It has a bottle cage mount (on the down tube, not the seat tube) and it's drilled for brakes so it checks the blocks for me. I would like to have a super light aluminum SS but I have too many bikes already.
Old 11-09-21, 07:03 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
This is the first I've heard of them but I did check them out on the Retrogression website. If I were you I'd pick up the phone and ask to speak to Dave Scrod and ask him directly what he thinks. The frame itself is likely very safe. Appearances can be deceiving, but it appears to be very well built. Full carbon forks are something that cause some people anxiety. I have carbon forks, but not full carbon, so can't vouch for their safety. If that bothers you, you could always swap out the fork at some point. There have been some manufacturers that catered to the FG/SS market that went on to have quality issues. Let's hope this company isn't going to be one of them.
Old 11-09-21, 08:03 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
Skream is not as well known in the US but is quite popular outside the states.

If you've never ridden fixed before, you might consider buying a bike that is drilled for at least a front brake until you can safely skid.

Some of the more "hipster" fixed gear brands include Leader, Constantine, Aventon, Skream.

Cinelli Pista is a well known fixed gear. The Dolan Pre Cursa is a very good aluminum track frame. Mash SF and Squid make nice fixed gears.

For cheap steel frames, there's State Bicycle Co and the Mercier Kilo. Pricier steel ($400+) includes Wabi Cycles, Surly Steamroller, and All City (Super Pro, Nature Boy, Thunderdome).

This is by no means a comprehensive list. Do you care what material the bike is (steel, aluminum, etc)? Are you looking for more road/street geometry or track? Maybe get an idea of exactly where you plan to ride your bike and what you're looking for.

For your first time bike, for a complete bike I might suggest the Mercier Kilo TT for $500USD. If you're just looking to buy a frame it gives you a lot more options but will be more expensive overall to do a custom build.

You prolly should edit Aventon & Leader out of your list of sw8 phiksies that PO can consider but your point about there being brands that are popular outside the US that we haven't heard about is valid. There's a couple Fixed Gear/SS groups I fell into that are more internationally oriented and there are many makers out there with interesting stuff that don't make it in or to the US. That is all...
Old 11-09-21, 09:50 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Rolla
I'm not sure I'd trust a full-carbon fork on a $400 frameset.
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Full carbon forks are something that cause some people anxiety.
To be clear, quality full-carbon forks, such as those made by Enve, should cause no "anxiety" at all. A no-name full-carbon fork on a $400 frameset is another story.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-09-21, 10:08 PM
Milk_n_whisky

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Stopped in today and ended up pulling the trigger on it. Dave had good things to say and i think it’ll fit my style. Like you said big in other areas but just getting going in the states. Stoked on the build.
Likes For Milk_n_whisky:
Old 11-10-21, 07:22 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Milk_n_whisky
Stopped in today and ended up pulling the trigger on it. Dave had good things to say and i think it’ll fit my style. Like you said big in other areas but just getting going in the states. Stoked on the build.
Pics or it didn't happen! But seriously, come back with photos of the build process. We'd love to follow along.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-11-21, 08:48 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'm waiting to see if anyone gets in the Skream Ranger. It looks right up my tracklocrossing alley.

Ranger Green/Bamboo ? SKREAM BIKES
Old 11-12-21, 11:01 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I'm waiting to see if anyone gets in the Skream Ranger. It looks right up my tracklocrossing alley.

Ranger Green/Bamboo ? SKREAM BIKES
There is no doubt they have a visually-appealing product. Definitely looking forward to some Bike Forums member reviews.
Old 11-23-21, 03:36 PM
Milk_n_whisky

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! But seriously, come back with photos of the build process. We'd love to follow along.
ok finally got my ten posts on the forum so I can post it! Absolutely love how this turned out and I’ve got ≈120 miles on it so far. Stiff frame and parts make for a lively and reactive ride for tight city streets but it’s still comfortable enough to settle into long rides.

Skream anodiz (m)
Velocity rims w/ gran Compe hubs
andel deluxe crankset
brooks b17
cinelli wand flat bars 780mm
thompson post and stem
Likes For Milk_n_whisky:
Old 11-23-21, 08:42 PM
Rolla

Looking sharp -- great saddle choice!
Old 11-23-21, 09:03 PM
TugaDude

Very nice! Are those 28c tires?
Old 03-31-22, 02:08 PM
Zdawg

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milk_n_whisky
ok finally got my ten posts on the forum so I can post it! Absolutely love how this turned out and I’ve got ≈120 miles on it so far. Stiff frame and parts make for a lively and reactive ride for tight city streets but it’s still comfortable enough to settle into long rides.

Skream anodiz (m)
Velocity rims w/ gran Compe hubs
andel deluxe crankset
brooks b17
cinelli wand flat bars 780mm
thompson post and stem
Sick build. What's the difference between the Skream Anodiz to the Skream Magnum, though - besides lower seat stays?
Old 03-31-22, 03:06 PM
TugaDude

The Magnum seems to show up only in Skream's "Museum", so it may be discontinued. They also have a higher-priced model called "Ranger". Not sure what justifies the significantly higher price compared to the Anodiz.
Old 03-31-22, 04:46 PM
Zdawg

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The ranger is their Tracklocross model

They also have a higher-priced model called "Ranger". Not sure what justifies the significantly higher price compared to the Anodiz.
The Skream Ranger is their tracklocross model with it's fat tyre clearance. It's the only Alu-carbon tracklocross frameset I know so that's probably why they're charging a bit extra. "unchartered territory" if you will.

Check out Tracklocrop's build!
Broski's got a dropper post and 650b fixed gear wheels!
Likes For Zdawg:
Old 04-01-22, 06:25 AM
Zdawg

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
**Correction-ish**

Originally Posted by Zdawg
The Skream Ranger is their tracklocross model with it's fat tyre clearance. It's the only Alu-carbon tracklocross frameset I know
The Skream Ranger is not the only Aluminium tracklocross frameset! I just remembered Poseidon had their 'Poseidon FX Tracklocross frameset'. I should note that those come with an aluminium fork, so technically not Alu-Carbon... still a pretty cool tracklocross build.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/product...cross-frameset