Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last TV series you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last TV series you watched

Old 09-01-21, 09:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by heatnikki View Post
Started watching Justified because someone mentioned it on here. About halfway through season two and can't believe I'd never heard of this show. Very enjoyable, really like Olyphant as an actor.
The principal characters and the plot in the first episode of the first season were all laid out in the short story "Fire in the Hole," one of nine stories in the Elmore Leonard 2003 book, "When the Women Came Out to Dance." This book has been retitled "Fire in the Hole and Other Stories. Highly recommended and may be available from your library as well as for purchase from on-line sources. If you like the show you should check out the Elmore Leonard oeuvre in both books and the movies based on them (Out of Sight, Get Shorty, Jackie Brown, and 3:10 to Yuma are among the best)
Old 09-07-21, 11:00 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 161 Posts
We just watched the original six-episode mini-series Roots based on Alex Haley's novel. First time for me since it came out in the late-1970s, first time for my wife ever!
Two things about it surprised me:
- it really only traces three generations; in the final episode Koonta Kinte's grandson Chicken George is still alive, his granchildren have barely been acknowledged, it's still the 19th Century and the Civil War has only just ended. Somehow I had misremembered that the show traced all the generations from Koonta Kinte up to Alex Haley, but there's just a brief 30-second epilogue where Haley names all the relatives in his lineage that bring the family up to modern times.
- the incessant use of the N-word must've really freaked the living crap outta folks in 1977! It's almost axiomatic that a show about slavery in America is going to include that epithet, but I definitely didn't remember hearing it that frequently when I watched the original show on television 40-something years ago.

My wife was super-impressed by the makeup artistry, how the folks who aged genuinely looked like they were older, not just wearing goop on their faces. Turns out that was courtesy of Academy Award-winning makeup effects creator Stan Winston.
Old 09-08-21, 04:14 PM
kaseyriot

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rock Of Love
10/10 would recommend for mindless outrageous entertainment
Old 09-10-21, 10:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 433 Posts
Decided to rewatch the 5 seasons of "The Wire." I already know that is 10+ and is well worth another viewing. Watched the first 4 episodes from Season 1 last night and will continue on Sunday night; Saturday is set aside for College Football.
Old 09-24-21, 06:26 AM
gooseneck34

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Line of duty- 10/10

The innocent- 8/10

Handmaids tale- 11/10
Old 11-17-21, 06:23 PM
fletcher7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Money heist 5/5
Old 11-24-21, 11:09 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 456 Posts
Just started Ted Lasso. 9/10 love it so far.
Old 11-24-21, 11:38 AM
J.Higgins 
Covid Hermit

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 434 Posts
We just finished up the last season of Goliath. This series is typical of many series, where after a few seasons, they run out of things to write about, so you wind up with overly-long scenes of people staring into blank space, supposedly so you can read their angst (?), just to stretch out and episode without adding any real content. Billy Bob Thornton, as an actor, is good for the lead role in this series, but the shining star here is, Nina Arianda. Her portrayal of her character was spot-on, and she breathed a lot of life into what would otherwise be another sluggish attempt at capturing a moody, noir-infused series. I'll give it 3/5 stars.