Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 11-23-21, 12:43 PM
Retromod 

Bikes: Nagasawa. Stratos. Panasonic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

My Stratos, Panasonic and Nagasawa.

Last edited by Retromod; 11-23-21 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For Retromod:
Old 11-23-21, 08:49 PM
Rolla
Gyro Captain

Bikes: 4 Singlespeeds, 2 Gearies

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 1,378 Times in 611 Posts
Took the ol' Fairdale Parser out for a spin yesterday. This thing can do it all: urban, gravel, CX, whatever.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-24-21, 06:50 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retromod View Post

My Stratos, Panasonic and Nagasawa.
I'm curious about the front brake setup you have on the Nagasawa. It seems you would need both brake levers to apply pressure to the front brake? Is there a technical reason for doing this? I haven't come across this kind of setup before.
Old 11-25-21, 02:08 AM
Retromod 

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose R View Post
I'm curious about the front brake setup you have on the Nagasawa. It seems you would need both brake levers to apply pressure to the front brake? Is there a technical reason for doing this? I haven't come across this kind of setup before.
The adapter I have used is from JTek engineering. It allows me to apply the front brake independently with left or right lever.
Im not running a rear brake so didnít want a redundant lever.

Likes For Retromod:
Old 11-25-21, 08:02 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Retromod View Post
The adapter I have used is from JTek engineering. It allows me to apply the front brake independently with left or right lever.
Im not running a rear brake so didn’t want a redundant lever.
And it looks like you use the same front caliper adapter on your Naga and Stratos too. Have the same on my own sw8 phiksie...

There is another poster here who has a few bikes made from NJS frames - I should remember who but unfortunately I ain't that sharp anymore. I s'pose he'll be along ...

Hope you don't mind my mentioning that your builds are...errr...eclectic, to say the least. Should make an interesting discussion, if you'd care to. My up-until-now regular rider is a made-in-Italy track(tarck?) frame that I originally insisted on building-up full-bore Italian. That was cool but as I replaced parts over the years - it somehow morphed into a weird(?) multi-national mix

Ride safe and enjoy them purdy bikes of yours and Happy Thanksgiving everybody...

Last edited by IAmSam; 11-25-21 at 11:30 AM. Reason: ooops...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 11-25-21, 08:14 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 597 Posts
The Fairdale and Nagasawa are liiiiiit. Would ride.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-25-21, 11:30 AM
Retromod 

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Appreciate the reply. As much as I like the all NJS look, we have to run brakes in the UK to comply with law so for me the full njs look is already compromised. I also ride long distances and the njs bars aren’t comfortable.
Im also running the front brake adapter on the Nagasawa but it’s not as visible because I spray painted it with black etch primer. Wasn’t sure wether it would work but pleased with the result.
The Stratos was my first njs frame and I just wanted a classic look with silver components, the Ofmega cranks came free in a bargain buy. Built the wheels up with Miche track hubs and Araya rims and it rides nice.
The Panasonic is a keirin custom build from the Panasonic Ordering System. It’s a training frame built for a keirin rider for road training, as the rules for brakes in Japan are the same as UK. Hubs are Mack built into Araya rims. It’s Tange 2 tubing so slightly more robust for the roads. It’s my go to for riding our potholed roads over here.
The Nagasawa is my dream frame. I appreciate some won’t like the build, but I wanted it to be different. The stem is a Mutant and couldn’t believe it when I found it on EBay for £50. The cranks are BLB Super Pista, pretty inexpensive as cranks go but look real good. Hubs are Harmony track from the Ukraine, I built them into H Plus Son shallow rims. Finished it three weeks ago and haven’t ridden it yet. It’s getting packed into a bike box and taken to Spain, where I’ll ride it in the sun until I’m too old too ride anymore.
Ride safe all.