Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What level is Entry Level?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 11:02 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 440 Posts
I just saw this bike on Decathlon, Triban GRVL120 for $899 and currently in stock with S/M/L sizes.

Specs look decent enough for the price range, but the wheelset looks to be QR. As someone who owns a QR equipped gravel bike, I would rather get a thru-axle bike right now, since availability for new wheelsets are mostly TA nowadays. The Poseidon X frame can be upgraded to TA, the Redwood and State All-Road come in TA out of box. I also like that Poseidon and State have fairly good customer engagement. I've emailed Poseidon before and they're quick to reply.
Old 11-17-21, 07:54 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I generally agree that the local used market is a better option than Walmart/department store bikes, but if you're not into wrenching or don't know what to look for as far as trouble spots on a used bike, it could get expensive. Not every seller has gone through a bike with a fine-toothed comb.

Also, he's more MTB-focused, but "KevCentral" on YouTube is a fascinating rabbit hole to go down. He almost exclusively focuses on reviews of and upgrades to Walmart/department store bikes, without irony, sarcasm, or condescension. It's really something else, and he seems to have ferreted out what the best bike buys are at big box stores.
Old 11-18-21, 08:46 PM
stevenlsmith87

Bikes: NONE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up selling some guitar gear, so my budget has gone up from a Wal-Mart bike to something in the $1k-$1.2K. Looking at the State All Road since I can do some camping trips with it like the Allegheny Passage Way. Also looking at a lower end Specialized Diverge. Once I stepped up to this budget, a few more bike options become available, so a little more to start reading on!
Likes For stevenlsmith87:
Old 11-19-21, 12:44 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenlsmith87
Once I stepped up to this budget, a few more bike options become available, so a little more to start reading on!
I'd also offer that the options it opened up will in the long run present less hassle and will be quite bit more durable, especially for your ambitions. Good luck.
Old 11-19-21, 02:54 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
before I would do the poseidon redwood I would go with the dropbar x
https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...41091390800023
I say that as someone who has a redwood, not some huge differences between them but the dropbar x is more towards cross and a little faster. Personally I'd rather the 4130 frame the marin comes with in many way but the Advent X shifters is better than anything shimano has till you hit tiagra/grx400.
Old 11-22-21, 06:15 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I ran across this bike in another thread, but the Marin Nicasio is $1000:
Cro-mo/steel frame
Shimano 8sp Claris
Mechanical disc brakes
The gearing (50/34 with an 11-32) is more road than gravel, and the 30mm tires would need to be upgraded (the frame can take up to 40mm).

​​​​​​https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-nicasio-1

Seems like a pretty solid deal for the money.

For another $200 they have a more gravel specific version with 1x9 MicroSHIFT gearing and 650b wheels w/ 47mm tires:
​​​​​​https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-nicasio-plus

Another option would be the Kona Rove, which has a 650b build with 47mm tires and Shimano Claris groupset, for $1000:
https://konaworld.com/rove_al_650.cfm
Sora over Claris is well worth the $200 for an upgrade.
Old 11-22-21, 10:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Look no more, last time I checked this bike a few weeks ago, it was selling for $770 and check out the specs, it's as modern as one can dream of (gravel-specific Shimano RD, shimano hydraulic disc brakes, STI brifter, front and back thru-axle, and hollow crankset).

It's much better specced than the usual brands at the same price point. Kespor is USA-Indonesian brand. The sad thing about this bike is I still can't afford it! My only option from Walmart bike is $300 MTB converted to dropbar using Soma Gator knockoff dropbar.

https://kesporbicycle.com/product/gsx/
What is happening with that bike?
The picture shows WTB Resolute tires, thru axle front and rear, hydraulic brakes, and Uno stem and seatpost.

The specs show Claris shifters, QR front and rear, cheap 32mm tires, off brand cable disc brakes, and off brand stem and seatpost.

Almost nothing in the picture is on the bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-24-21, 09:48 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

The screenshot of the specs don’t match the picture. Look at the rear drop out. That is definitely not a thru axle.
Old 11-24-21, 05:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Weird. I get the right specs, see below. We have highly reputable LBS (not-so-local at 100 km away) who has them on stock at $800 (It might be possible to find $700 brand new at other LBS). Local store bike confirms thru axle front and back but with SRAM 2x11 drivetrain.
These are the specs your link shows.

Old 11-25-21, 02:19 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

That is dramatically different in spec than the pics that were shown above it.
Old 11-25-21, 08:59 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I would just go to a bike shop and buy a $750 hybrid. You'll be fine on that.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 11-25-21, 10:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Here's a picture from our LBS, given the obvious differences to the USA model, our Southeast Asian version does have rear thru axle, major difference with SRAM RD/FD 2x11. I trust this LBS, I have bought many parts from them without a single problem, all good quality, matching specs and they have tons of good reviews.

Kespor's mobile website is probably bugged. $750 bike with Claris 2x8 and QR is a ripoff. I looked at their website using desktop computer.
The bike you initially claim is different from the bike you link which is different from this other version you now mention.
3 different bikes- totally different builds and spec.

It's great that your local shop is trustworthy. To me, this all screams unprofessional and I have 0 interest in something like that. I dont think many people on this side of the Pacific like to struggle to figure out what is being sold.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-26-21, 06:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Getting back to bikes OP might actually buy, I suggest being open to whatever is available locally at an actual shop. The above mentioned Diverge, Cannondale Topstone, Giant Revolt, whatever. That level bike will give you thru axles, flat mount discs, and Shimano or Microshift components. Probably $1200-$1500, you shouldn't obsess over a few hundred $ one way or the other as this is something you'll be able to use for quite awhile.
Likes For shelbyfv: