Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't find end cap for my wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 02:08 PM
buildbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This summer I was working on building a bike and for that I bought these wheels from china (Elite Wheels). These are 60mm deep carbon wheels. Wheels look great. It came installed with "RD07" hubs and their corresponding free hub (3 pawls). The end caps that came with wheel do not fit the freehub. They are of wrong size. I went to my LBS and they wanted no part of looking at it. I am not sure if I can just buy any end cap for it...doesn't seem to be the case. These are 12x142 through axle rear hubs. Couple of questions:
1. Can i simply buy any end cap (one is larger than other) to put on?
2. if not, can I buy some other free hub that had 3 pawls and use that as replacement?
3. If above 2 are not possible, does the wheel need to be completely rebuilt? (very expensive option...not sure if it is even worth it).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-03-21, 02:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by buildbike
This summer I was working on building a bike and for that I bought these wheels from china (Elite Wheels). These are 60mm deep carbon wheels. Wheels look great. It came installed with "RD07" hubs and their corresponding free hub (3 pawls). The end caps that came with wheel do not fit the freehub. They are of wrong size. I went to my LBS and they wanted no part of looking at it. I am not sure if I can just buy any end cap for it...doesn't seem to be the case. These are 12x142 through axle rear hubs. Couple of questions:
1. Can i simply buy any end cap (one is larger than other) to put on?
2. if not, can I buy some other free hub that had 3 pawls and use that as replacement?
3. If above 2 are not possible, does the wheel need to be completely rebuilt? (very expensive option...not sure if it is even worth it).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Call Alibaba and his 40 thieves or whatever similar site you got them from and see if they can provide that stuff. Most of that cheap stuff is not anything exceptionally common and the time and effort spent trying to test things out that probably won't work just isn't worth it for a shop and most customers would complain if they had to pay for the research and time it takes to deal with the unknown quantities.

In the future just buy known stuff, you clearly didn't save anything here and are having to spend more time and money to figure out a problem that shouldn't occur with a quality wheel or hub and if it did you could actually reach out to that company easily and they could support you.

I wouldn't bother rebuilding the wheel and trying a random end cap may work but don't count on it same thing with a freehub, they are usually somewhat proprietary.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-03-21, 02:27 PM
buildbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that these can be hit and miss. I wanted to try it out.
No doubt that known stuff is better way to go, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to try odd stuff. I'll see what else I can try with end caps. Beautiful wheels...shame this got be stuck.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 02-03-21, 02:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
No doubt that known stuff is better way to go, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to try odd stuff. I'll see what else I can try with end caps. Beautiful wheels...shame this got be stuck.

Thanks for chiming in!
Not being able to use a wheel you purchased is kind of a pain. It is money down the drain and you can throw more at the problem but you really shouldn't have to. A new hub or wheel shouldn't have problems and a quality company could be reached out to fairly easily and give you support.

No worries, happy to help.
Old 02-05-21, 09:37 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Seems to me I notice some end caps on the bay. You might want to go there and look around. Smiles, MH
Old 02-07-21, 04:09 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Head to a local CNC shop. They can make one for you using 6000 series aluminum. It won't have a o-ring, but it'll work.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-08-21, 06:40 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts

Thanks for chiming in!
When we buy random stuff we always have to be prepared to create random solutions to get it all to work, which can be fun if approached with the right attitude. I hope that you find something that works, it will make your machine something more than your average one
Likes For Geepig:
Old 04-24-21, 11:22 AM
peirce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Did you manage to find the correct end caps for the RD07? I have the same issue! Thanks
Old 11-27-21, 12:09 PM
codyb37

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peirce
Hey! Did you manage to find the correct end caps for the RD07? I have the same issue! Thanks
I also ordered a pair of 60mm wheels from elite wheels. I am also missing the end cap on the drive side of the rear wheel. I will contact elite wheels.
Old 11-27-21, 11:26 PM
peirce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Yeap Elite wheels sent in the end, not sure why they did not pack alongside quick releases
Old 12-04-21, 02:31 PM
Elco
Elco

Bikes: aluminium Concorde Cipressa roadbike , my homebrew/rebuild Trek District (hybride) TT aluminium /magnesium fixed roadbike, Giant Boulder team aluminium /magnesium A.T.B. and last yet definitely not least Scapin Enki full carbon roadbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wrong nut

it's like that a lot, i work in a recycle shop and there isn't a nut that wil work more then one way...inbus or allen-key is the new standard so hope for this..otherwise i would just trial and error my way out the problem.
it's tapered and not tapered...??
maybee google it ...there is no way to measure the inner depth so you measure the axle ...you can find a fit ...
for the right axle ...the screw and the width so how wide is the axle ...
the back wheel has more width and it can be more wider in screw size then your front axle ...
there is always a fit ....
good luck ! brake a leg ! mazzeltof !