Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Headtube Length??

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Headtube Length??

Old 11-27-21, 06:53 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Headtube Length??

On a lugged frame how far beyond the top headtube lug can the head tube extend before it's too far?
Thanks!
Old 11-27-21, 08:13 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
3"

I just made this up. In truth, I don't know that there is a hard and fast answer. Anything beyond 2" starts to look a bit odd in my opinion, but that may just be me.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 11-27-21, 07:34 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Tom, if I understand correctly, you will be using a top/head tube lug with twin sockets to accept twin laterals to make your wife a mixte. The height of this lug above the down tube lug will be controlled by 2 factors. 1st, where the twin socket angle is best situated to aim them directly to the dropouts. And 2nd, where the height of the twin laterals are low enough to comfortably step over but not so low as to lose support. In other words higher is better than lower but those 2 factors push the laterals lower.

Now where your top tube lug is located may be a bit low so too much quill stem or stackers are used. Of course it is possible to extend the head tube above the head lug as long as you reinforce it. This is where you use a section of 1 3/8" OD tube with a wall thickness of .083". This is necessary when using a 1 1/4" head tube with .9 or 1.0mm wall thickness. When the head tube is reamed to fit a normal head set, the wall becomes too thin and might distort under normal use. If you add the sleeve above the top tube lug, it doesn't matter how long it is. The length you choose will be based on where your stem is located. Again you don't want too many stackers if using a threadless steerer or stem extension if using a quill stem.

Usually the sleeve is filed to blend in with the top tube lug. Sometimes the sleeve is shortened so it is located only at the top and there is some space between the bottom of the sleeve and the top of the lug. I'm not a fan of that look but in reality it doesn't look bad.
Old 11-28-21, 11:50 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks Doug! U took a look at the frame I built in your class and I did add a reinforcement ring above the top lug! I ride the bike so much I don't even notice it!!
The twin lateral angle might not be a direct/straight line to the rear dropout. Will know more when I mock it up on the drawing with lig in hand.
BTW,the Paragon tube blocks are due to be shipped to me on Monday.