Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

About: Campagnolo pump heads for Silca pumps

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

About: Campagnolo pump heads for Silca pumps

Old 11-30-21, 08:02 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Caps for covering the cut ends of wire shelving might work.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ClosetMaid-...rdware/3036674
Old 12-01-21, 04:37 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I recently got a pump head for my Silca from a C&V For Sale listing, it's in lovely shape -- the metal one with the "bow" at the end to engage the frame.

(a) Well, it came without the rubber tips for the end of the "bow" to protect the bike's paint, but I knew that. I understand repros might be available from time to time. Meanwhile, I thought two short sections of surgical tubing might look right - hey, about the same color as gum brake hoods, eh? However, just got back from Home Depot and they no longer sell surgical tubing, indeed any kind of tubing or hose, by the foot. And they did have prepackaged tubing but in one diameter... too big. But nosing around the inventory, I saw and bought a roll of vinyl tubing, 1/4"OD and 0.170"ID and, as I had brought along the pump head, it seemed like it should work, if a tight fit. Once home, I cut two short sections (5/8", but I might have been able to use 3/4"), soaked them in hot water, and was able to press them on -- certainly unlikely to come back off! Basically invisible, and should suffice until I locate OEM or repro tips or a length of surgical tubing (any clever ideas on sourcing?) That said, not quite as soft as rubber or surgical hose, hopefully won’t hurt the bike’s finish (but still better than the OEM head’s chrome plastic, I presume).

(b) Hmm, I put the head on the new pump; lovely. Oddly, the aluminum decorative/grip sleeve rattles. Then I put the original plastic head on, and the rattle goes away. So, I look closer. On both heads, where the threads are to engage the pump, there is a square boss that keys to the aluminum sleeve’s square hole. However, the boss is much thicker on the Campagnolo head. In one of the most fiddly applications of a micrometer ever, I tried to get readings. The OEM head’s boss is about 1.3mm thick, and the Campy head is about 2.8mm. That’s a lot of difference, creating plenty of movement to allow a rattle (which I am certain I’d hear all the time on rides). So, before I (1) start grinding down the boss on a Campy pump head (!) or, (2) try fabricating a multi-layer rubber washer incorporating the one currently surrounding the threads now, with a second one glued to it but with the center bored out much larger… is there some logical solution?
There's a packing, filler, or gasket which fits in that gap, that you are missing.
Old 12-02-21, 09:06 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

another item folks used to use for this application BITD was presta valve caps...
That's my period correct method:

Brent