Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Broke the Cinelli double straps

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 01:51 PM
Gods lonely man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

Just right now , kind of a bummer because I am working , any double straps recommendations , don't say Toshi please.
At least i have some Alfredo Binda singles lying around .

Till I make it home
Old 05-19-21, 06:05 PM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
I use single nylon straps as they don't stretch and and never snap. Nearly impossible to find a set of nylon double though.
Old 05-19-21, 08:25 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I rode toe clips for years and leather straps just don't hold up and the new modern ones are not nearly the same quality as the ones we used to buy. Low demand = low quality but you still pay $$'s for them. I cut my teeth on toe clips but only have them on one bike, a mid-1980's Raleigh Wyoming, mostly for nostalgia.

BTW, I use a new-ish Christophe strap to hold my leather tool roll on my saddle and after a year it's about to break and it just sits there. Like I said, the new ones just don't hold up.
Old 05-19-21, 08:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I've taken to going to Portland's excellent leather store and buying quality leather cut into 1/2" strips. I treat the leather with Sno-seal, blacken most of them with leather dye and rivet them to the better old buckles. Not as good as Bindas, better than Christophes. Far cheaper than either. They never slip until they are very visibly worn.

I've only used a few nylon straps over the years and all that I have used slip if I pull hard enough. For me, that is completely unacceptable. It means I have to walk up hills I am strong enough to do on the fix gear. And sometimes I hurt myself when my foot pulls out.

Edit: I forgot you wanted double straps. The store here could do that (I believe) if you brought them a pattern. If not, they'd have ideas on how to do it. Leather is what they do.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-19-21 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 09:31 PM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I treat the leather with Sno-seal, blacken most of them with leather dye and rivet them to the better old buckles. Not as good as Bindas, better than Christophes. Far cheaper than either. They never slip until they are very visibly worn.
That's pretty cool, maybe I should look into making my own straps with leather, Bindas are great , like others have said, the older stuff wins on quality, makes sense since nobody really cares anymore about toe clips setups.
The Cinelli straps lasted 2 winters , they weren't that bad though.
Old 05-21-21, 09:17 AM
Gods lonely man

Running the straps Frankenstein style of using the two Bindas in the same pedal as a double? Now I have two buckles for extra safety.
Old 11-01-21, 08:51 PM
Danger Diaz

Bikes: Cinelli Vigorelli Road, Cinelli SC Pista, Panasonic NJS track, Alpine Cycles lo-pro pursuit frame, others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
how long were you riding with them before they broke? I just got mine a month ago. is it time to start looking somewhere else?
Old 03-21-22, 05:43 PM
Zdawg

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The age-old question on fixed gear foot retention

Trying to keep that vintage feel of double leather straps while also having security in your foot is no easy task. Vintage steel track bikes beg for the 'toe clips, leather double straps combo' and screech away from the 'nylon toe strap, platform pedal'.

The best rule to keep in mind when looking to build the classic pedal set-up is to look for laminated leather double straps. The "laminate" is a layer of tough plastic that sits between two pieces of leather that together form a high-quality strap. That laminate will prevent the strap from stretching and will make it last for a great deal longer than 'unlaminated, single-layered leather straps'.

Two ways of inspecting for this valuable difference is to:
1) Check whether the straps have an off-colour underside (usually grey or white untreated leather) or whether the straps are black on both sides.
2) Check whether there are two rivets attaching the buckle to the strap (higher end, tougher, laminated) or whether there is one rivet per buckle (lower end, unlaminated). To the experienced eye, you can also notice what looks like a very thin film in between the two layers of leather - that's the laminate!
For example

White underside and one rivet for the buckle (per strap). This is the lower end set of straps MKS offers for a cheaper price. Non-NJS

Black on both sides and two rivets. This is the 'fit-alpha' set that MKS offers. NJS-approved!

That thin layer in the middle is the laminate. Photo taken from MKS 'fit-alpha'

MKS 'fit alpha' and Kashimax 'dual sprint' are both laminated double straps that are sure to last. They also look insanely bling!To my knowledge, engine 11 also make some great leather straps.
I have to add, though, that if your feet are bigger than a size US 10, you should probably go with BMX platforms + nylon YNOT/HoldFast/Fixation straps. The latter don't have any restraint on how forward you can position your feet whereas toe clips do. Even with size L toe clips (the largest size I've been able find), the ball of your foot won't ever be on top of the pedal's spindle and that will leave you with extreme discomfort. Unless you're able to get custom-made XL or XXL toe clips I'd say steer away from the classic set up.