Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Howdy From The Bluegrass

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Howdy From The Bluegrass

Old 09-29-21, 07:38 PM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Howdy From The Bluegrass

Howdy.

Been a member since 2004 but I haven't posted in about a decade .I thought it would be appropriate to reintroduce myself.

I started riding back around 1990. I was sick of running but still wanted to stay in shape. I bought a Bridgestone MB2 MTB and started riding the hills of SoCal. I kept running but cut back to 3-4 days a week and shorter runs. I got hooked on cycling and rode my bike every chance I got. A guy I worked with rode a road bike so I laced up a set of road tires/wheels for my MTB and tried to keep up with him. You can guess how that worked out. ;-)

Somewhere around 2001 I bought my first real road bike. It was a frankenbike Surly Crosscheck I built with a CX crankset, XT rear derailleur and road wheels/tires. It was a little heavy by road bike standards but I rode the heck out of that thing and put a lot of miles on it.

I upgraded to a Litespeed Solano. I bought the frameset and built it with an Ultegra gruppo and Rol wheels. I really liked that bike and I rode the heck out of that one too. I was easily putting in 100+ miles a week back then.

I was MTB riding too and I went through a bunch of bikes. Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, to name a few. I still ride MTB and these days I ride a Pivot Mach 5.7 I bought around 2007 (I think). It was originally an XT/XTR bike but I've since converted it to a SRAM 1X1. It's big and heavy by todays standards but it' still getting me around the trails.

My current road bike I bought around 2010. It's a Cervelo RS. It started out with an Ultegra gruppo but I switched it to SRAM Red about 5 years ago. I'm still riding the Rol wheels I bought for my Litespeed. Great wheelset BTW. Highly recommend.

I've thought about getting a more up to date road bike but my Cervelo is just such a great bike I can't justify the expense. I'd like to have e-shifting and I definitely want disc brakes but to get a bike that rides as nice as my RS I'd have to spend a lot more than I'm willing to at the moment. I remember test riding the electric DuraAce back around 2007 when it first came on the scene. Game changer and I was impressed. I bet the modern stuff is even more amazing. Oh well. I'll keep rocking my old school kit until it becomes cool again. ;-)

I haven't ridden much on my road bike for a couple of years but I'm starting to get back in the groove so I thought I'd reengage with you fine folks. These days I'm riding the hills of Kentucky. Good to be back on the road.

Cheers.
Old 09-30-21, 04:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Have fun.

Old 09-30-21, 06:35 AM
Trsnrtr