Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Would you buy a fully-equipped hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?
View Poll Results: Hybrid bike with fenders + front & rear racks
Yes
52.38%
No
47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a fully-equipped hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 02:01 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Question Would you buy a fully-equipped hybrid?

Like with fenders, front & rear racks and a rear kickstand?

Also, which one would you choose between 700x38c or 27.5x2.00" to 2.4"?
Likes For hybridbkrdr:
Old 10-03-21, 02:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I would not buy one already equipped with that stuff, no. My reason is OEM stuff will likely be either lower quality or heavier or not as flexible (in terms of configurability or capability) as aftermarket stuff usually is. You can get a whole passel of very high quality accessories from companies like Planet Bike, Axiom, SKS, Topeak, Greenfield (kickstands), etc. If the frame offers an integrated kickstand mount (this is becoming more common lately), then I would buy the OEM kickstand. But otherwise...I wouldn't go out of my way to find that.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-04-21, 06:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
You failed to include "Please stop making polls" as a choice. It was by far the most popular option in one of your other poll threads. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...html:rolleyes:
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-04-21, 10:54 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You failed to include "Please stop making polls" as a choice. It was by far the most popular option in one of your other poll threads. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1239267-would-you-like-shimano-make-34t-singlespeed-crankset.html
Well, this one has 4 votes now.
Old 10-04-21, 06:24 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

If you want to know some of the reasoning behind the question, it is this. I do my grocery shopping with my hybrid. But of all the front racks I've seen for example, the only ones I saw I thought might be strong and acceptable would be the Racktime Topit and Soma Lucas Mini front rack. I have both on two different bikes. I find both are rather difficult to find and a bit expensive.

I just figured it might be more cost-effective for customers and also an easier way to get two racks on a bike. My gravel bike for example doesn't have the rack eyelets in front of the hub (for the Lucas Mini) and it doesn't have them in the middle of the forks either (for the Topit). This would leave me no choice but to add a model that uses pipe clamps. This wouldn't be a real solution however since I doubt that would be strong enough to put water bottles in the bags. This type of rack though would not accommodate the type of double panniers that are sown together I could have holes drilled since it's a steel fork. But that would add to the cost.
Likes For hybridbkrdr:
Old 10-04-21, 10:46 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Like with fenders, front & rear racks and a rear kickstand?

Also, which one would you choose between 700x38c or 27.5x2.00" to 2.4"?
I'd definitely go for the 27.5" tyre option for the extra versatility it offers.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 10-04-21, 10:57 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
I've never felt the need for a front rack, but my Giant Escape 2 City came pretty much all-dressed.

2016 Giant Escape 2 City
Likes For SteveKB:
Old 10-05-21, 04:38 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Rather not, but it's not an absolute answer. In case of a commuter, maybe: in that case I'd like to also have a dynamo hub, and it's difficult to change afterwards (especially if you want to have a nice cable integration), and it's also difficult to find a bike with a dynamo hub that doesn't have a rack and fenders. But in that case, the quality of the accessories and their integration will definitely play a role in the purchase decision: some manufacturers are now designing very nice rack fenders combo's, that are not available in aftermarket. The rack must comply with some "quick lock" standards in that case — RackTime/SnapIt or Ortlieb's QL for instance. But for this use, I'd also want a belt and an internal hub, so playing with market terms, it would rather be a commuter rather than an hybrid.

For a "sport oriented" bike, I can deal with batteries for lights, so I'd rather not take the accessories and choose them if I need them.

About the tire size, 700x40C seems a good compromise to me if I need to pick one for an "equipped" bike.
Old 10-05-21, 06:09 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts

I've added mixed brands of bags and such as my desire to use my bike as an errand(banking, light grocery runs, etc) has increased. No to the front rack as my fork is carbon fiber and I don't trust it...
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 10-05-21, 06:02 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd

I've added mixed brands of bags and such as my desire to use my bike as an errand(banking, light grocery runs, etc) has increased. No to the front rack as my fork is carbon fiber and I don't trust it...
That is a lovely colour on your bike.

I don't remember Trek releasing that colour on that model, what year is it?
Old 10-05-21, 07:25 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I'm with Hokiefyd. I buy minimalist bikes and add the aftermarket things I need.
-But, I can see why the less mechanically inclined would prefer to purchase a fully dressed hybrid.
Old 10-06-21, 12:39 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That is a lovely colour on your bike.

I don't remember Trek releasing that colour on that model, what year is it?
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure; I think it's a 2016 or 2017 model. I purchased it used at a LBS. Someone had traded it in for an E-bike. The shop went over it and I got it for an amazing price!!! But yes, I do like the color too!
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 10-07-21, 09:41 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Would you prefer an aluminum or chromoly fork?
Old 10-07-21, 11:49 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I’m in the process of adding all the Bontrager accessories that are compatible with my Verve 2. I wish I could have afforded to buy them all at once with the purchase of my bike.

Im currently looking into another bike, and I will be having the LBS install racks, kickstand, lights,fenders, and other accessories before it rolls
off the floor.

Likes For M Rose:
Old 10-08-21, 05:58 AM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by M Rose
I’m in the process of adding all the Bontrager accessories that are compatible with my Verve 2....
That looks great! What bar ends are you using? I have a Bontrager IsoZone handlebars and am not sure I can use standard bar ends. I need to change hand positions because I get tingling and numbness in my left wrist due to stroke...
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 10-08-21, 06:01 AM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Would you prefer an aluminum or chromoly fork?
Well, it's an aluminum frame but I've only had experience with chromoly in the past. My bike is a "user" and I no longer "need" to storm up hills so weight isn't a huge priority, just function.
Old 10-08-21, 03:59 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
That looks great! What bar ends are you using? I have a Bontrager IsoZone handlebars and am not sure I can use standard bar ends. I need to change hand positions because I get tingling and numbness in my left wrist due to stroke...
My bar ends are Chinese Knock-offs of the Ergon G3’s. I can’t recommend them… I had to rethread the holes for the adjuster screws, epoxy the end caps to make them fit snug against the bar (since the aluminum is so cheap that the set screws can’t provide tension), and I can’t keep the bar ends in position that is useable. I will be upgrading them to the Ergon G3 next month. I mainly took my chances with these cheap grips to see if I fact they’re would help my hands to stop going numb on longer rides without spending a lot of money; which they did do very well.