Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hiplok D-1000

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Hiplok D-1000

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 10:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Hiplok D-1000

Might be the wrong place for this, but the subject bike lock, now on Kickstarter (which I avoid), seems pretty interesting. Composed of a material which resists angle grinders (an independent source tested the lock and required 10 wheels to cut through it). $250 or so seems steep, but a bargain if it keeps our e-bikes safe.
Old 10-07-21, 03:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
If you have to release a lock on kickstarter do I really want to trust your product. If you are a large enough company you should be able to be a company and release a product sans "crowd funding" if you need us to prop you up probably not the sign of a company doing well, ATMO.
I am sure they are probably doing OK but the whole CF thing just feels like poor business but I guess it is what the kids want. I more understand it for fundraising to help someone in actual need. The lock idea is cool and certainly they chose some good bikes to lock it to and like that it isn't quite as ridiculous as that Altor lock (the one that is super thick) would love to see LPL play with it and see how quickly he can open it.

I like my ABUS stuff I can get it keyed a-like to my batteries and get u-locks, chain locks, pad locks, folding locks, cafe/frame locks...Plus it is coming from a company that has been around a long time and owns their own factories and builds a lot of the equipment and tools to build their locks so they can keep it more in house and up to the highest standards.
Old 10-07-21, 06:00 PM
2old

If you're talking about the 17 pound (or whatever) lock that took six wheels and two battery packs to defeat, I think the LPL opened it in his usual < one minute (saw the video AIR). Agree about crowd funds and they're not for me, but I think some reputable companies use them to gauge demand.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-08-21, 10:57 AM
2old

Looked at Electric Bike Action mag in order to see if there was anything of interest at Sea Otter, but no luck. However, there was info on the Hiplok. I'll get one if/when they're available to purchase "normally".
Old 10-08-21, 02:12 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
If you're talking about the 17 pound (or whatever) lock that took six wheels and two battery packs to defeat, I think the LPL opened it in his usual < one minute (saw the video AIR).
I can't find a HipLok video from the LockPickingLawyer, so if you could post a pointer, that would be helpful.
Old 10-08-21, 03:20 PM
2old

The Hiplok wasn't the one referred to as the ("17"), but the Altor.SAF lock, a 13 pound behemoth, that is on his site. This lock as a core that is difficult to locate "picks" for (he needed to fabricate his). Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post.