Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

TT OXII ultra tube thickness

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 12:57 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I’m curious what the tube thickness is on my 1991 trek 990. It is OX II ultra. I do know the seatpost is 29.8 and the seat tube is 1 1/4”. 29.8 is 1.173. Can I assume that if the difference between the seat post and the seat tube is .8, that the tubing is 8/5/8?
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 10-10-21, 03:32 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
I’m curious what the tube thickness is on my 1991 trek 990. It is OX II ultra. I do know the seatpost is 29.8 and the seat tube is 1 1/4”. 29.8 is 1.173. Can I assume that if the difference between the seat post and the seat tube is .8, that the tubing is 8/5/8?
The difference between that seat post and seat tube is nearly 2mm, much more than 0.8. Seat tubes are always reinforced in some way at the top for the seatpost, either with some kind of a lug, or they're often "externally butted"-- the metal is thicker on the outside as well as on the inside.

I don't know the best way to measure the gauge of the tubing on a built frame with regular tools. You could try a depth gauge between one of the bottle holes maybe? Measure the distance from the top of the boss to the inside back of the tube. Then measure the height of the boss and subtract it.
Old 10-10-21, 05:07 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
You can't assume anything from the seat tube. Seat tubes are different because they have to fit the seat post.

There is a way to do this with ultrasonics, but the standard thickness checkers don't go down that thin.
Old 10-10-21, 05:51 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
.8/.5 or .9/.6 would be my guess