Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Well, THAT Was Unexpected!!!

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 10-22-21, 11:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts

So, after a farcical evening trying to finally get to riding the Zwift Academy Road Finish Line Ride, I finally got going in the 9 PM ride. Took it easy the first 2.5 miles, killed myself up the Titans Grove Reverse KOM, bettering my previous time by >2 seconds. Road easy toward the next segment, a 0.22 mile long sprint that was about 8 miles away 5 miles later, I feel the tire slipping on the drum on the trainer. "That's weird", I think. It keeps getting worse, so I stop, get off the bike, and check the rear tire - squishy. Over the next 2 minutes, it goes completely flat.

That's right. I FLATTED ON AN INDOOR TRAINER!!!!

I really didn't expect that.

Turns out that a patch I put on a tube last December, and then rode all summer, probably at least 1000 miles, suddenly decided it had done enough and started leaking. I'm going to have to rethink whether to used patched tubes, if they can hold together through over 1000 miles of riding and then give out rather suddenly. If this had happened at the wrong point on a descent, I might have crashed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-23-21, 04:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have never had a patch come loose, was it a Rema, or one of the no-glue types?

When I first started riding gravel I had some tubes with a large number of patches. I had 20 flats in one year, and when the tire goes flat there can be multiple holes in the tube before stopping. Tubeless put a stop to that, I hate flats.
Old 10-23-21, 08:19 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
its not a first. back before i got my wheel off trainer i used to go to a bike shop and use a CompuTrainer twice a week. i learned that a few flats had occured on them due to excessive heating of the rear tire. they did get quite hot.
Old 10-23-21, 08:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Trainer flats happened sort of regular for me. On average ~2 per year, every year. TBH, it's why I moved to a direct drive trainer.

I don't know if I'm above average in strength or not, but it always seemed to happen after sustained hard efforts. Sometimes the tire, sometimes the tube. I always attributed it to heat accumulation...I know my Elite Travel Trac fluid trainer would get so hot it couldn't be touched after a vO2 max workout. So it stands to reason heat would be a factor.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 10-23-21, 04:06 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have never had a patch come loose, was it a Rema, or one of the no-glue types?
I absolutely detest the no glue patches. They are (barely) useful to get you home if you flat, at which point you put in a new tube. I've gone back to the glued patch kits. Properly installed, I've never had one of those fail. Some out lasted the tire.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-24-21, 12:08 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
It's hard to beat the old style glue-on patches. Those repairs are stronger than the rest of the tube!

I've had a flat or two on the trainer in the past (pre-direct-drive days) mostly caused by grit slowly working it's way through the tyre as I was using it indoors and outdoors. Never had a patch fail on me though.
Old 10-24-21, 10:33 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Yea, a properly installed patch lasts forever. A poorly installed patch OTOH will fail and usually quickly.

I used to patch on the road but now just carry 2 spares with me and patch at home in batches. I've bought a can of Rema cement and a box of patches, no more patch kits for me.
Old 10-24-21, 04:53 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Were you able finish the ride and get credit for ZA?
Old 10-25-21, 12:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Zoxe
Were you able finish the ride and get credit for ZA?
Not that night. That flat was just the last of a series of misadventures.
​​​But I re-did the ride today.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-26-21, 08:25 AM
Tbaynes

Bikes: Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace custom build, Co-Motion Speedster tandem (steel is real!), Salsa Spearfish XXO, Cannondale CAAD8 CX, KICKR Bike on Zwift

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Direct drive?

Have you looked at a direct drive trainer. Obviously they’re not cheap, just wondering whether it’s something you’ve considered. Definitely solves the flat problem - I have no rear wheel and my front is probably at 5 psi.
Old 10-26-21, 08:54 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Flats happen if you don't "over inflate" your rear to 10-15 psi over your typical street psi. This is because the tire (at road psi) deforms more when on the roller, causing more friction to the tube (and/or patches), so the extra psi reduces the deformation.
Old 10-26-21, 09:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Tbaynes
Have you looked at a direct drive trainer. Obviously they’re not cheap, just wondering whether it’s something you’ve considered. Definitely solves the flat problem - I have no rear wheel and my front is probably at 5 psi.
Yeah, I did. But I can't justify the expense, since the Kick'r Snap I have works well enough.

Old 10-26-21, 10:04 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbaynes
if you get out of the saddle to do hard efforts i would not be surprised if you get a pinch flat, 5 psi is like nothing.
Old 10-26-21, 01:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I am sometimes too lazy to pump up my front tire. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a pinch flat
Likes For unterhausen: