Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Fenders for Mongoose Crossway

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 07:52 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts

Hi all. I'm currently riding a 20+ year old Mongoose Crossway hybrid. I've done well over 1,000 miles this year, which is a first for me. I plan to keep riding as much as I can this winter before probably replacing it with something much nicer (like a Trek FX something) in the spring when the new bikes are due in at my LBS. I figure if I'm going to ride during the winter, then adding some fenders would be a good idea.

It is fitted with 700x35 tires. Is it just a matter of finding any fenders that fit that size? I did a search and saw that Cascadia fenders are pretty highly regarded. Can I be pretty sure they will fit? Looking at these plastic fenders (since I feel I won't need forever durability): https://www.planetbike.com/cascadia-...s-700c-x-35mm/

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 10-27-21, 01:22 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Hi, Mark. You generally buy fenders ~10mm wider than the tires you want to cover. So I'd buy the 45mm fenders to cover 35mm tires.

Those fenders should fit -- most fenders will need a little bit of tweaking (in terms of bending the stays or customizing the hardware) to get a perfect, custom fit to your bike. But should be easily doable.

I own a pair of the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders and I think they're excellent. They have long rubber splash guards and offer great coverage. Planet Bike also seems to give a lot back to the cycling community.
Old 10-27-21, 01:59 PM
msalvetti

Great, thanks for pointing out the sizing methodology - I didn't realize that I needed to add the 10mm. Thought the label on the fender meant it was for that size tire.

Will order a pair this week.

Mark
Old 10-27-21, 02:45 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Planet Bike has two kinds of fenders. One kind the stays fit into blind holes in the carriers and must be cut with HEAVY DUTY snips if they are too long, and the other kind they just go through clips on the fenders. Personally I prefer that kind. Hardcore I think they are called. Bit cheaper too I think. For a bike you plan to ditch after one season Cascadias might be overkill. If despite my well meant advice the o.p. persists in buying the Cascades, be careful not to cut the stays too short. Don't ask me how I know that this is a very bad thing to do.
Old 10-27-21, 03:31 PM
msalvetti

Thanks. Will check that. I probably won't ditch the bike, it will likely become a bad weather bike so probably worth getting good quality. I generally do that for things even if I don't really need it (I'll buy contractor-grade tools for example).

I feel quality items are usually easier to install too. And at this point, there is value in my time spent trying to find something else. Plus these are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Mark
Old 10-29-21, 07:22 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
FYI crossways are very nice frames. Mongoose, pre 1998, made extremely nice cross bikes. Frames are light and lively and upgrade well.
Old 10-29-21, 09:41 PM
msalvetti

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
FYI crossways are very nice frames. Mongoose, pre 1998, made extremely nice cross bikes. Frames are light and lively and upgrade well.
Thanks! Pretty sure it is pre-1998, but not positive. I remember buying it at a LBS that is no longer in business, and one reason I bought it was to ride with my son who was born in 1991. So likely bought it around 1996.

I'm not going to get rid of it, I've had it maintained and it's in nice shape. But I also think it is too small, measurements seem closest to a modern Medium frame, but I'm 6'-2". Short legs though. I'm anxious to test ride something new and larger, and see how it feels.

Ordered the Cascadia fenders.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 10-30-21, 01:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by msalvetti
I'm not going to get rid of it, I've had it maintained and it's in nice shape. But I also think it is too small, measurements seem closest to a modern Medium frame, but I'm 6'-2". Short legs though. I'm anxious to test ride something new and larger, and see how it feels.
If you can get the seat height correct so that your legs are almost straight at full pedal extension, then the frame is probably a good fit for you. You also jeopardize standover clearance with larger frames and, if you have shorter legs, that may be more of a concern to you. If the bike feels a little compact, you can install a different (longer) stem, which would move the handlebar further forward. This bike probably uses a 1" quill stem, but these are still readily available in various lengths.

What size is your frame, when measured from the center of the crank spindle to the top of the seat post? I think an 18-20" frame would probably be about right for you, depending on your actual inseam. I wear 32 inseam slacks and I'm pretty comfortable on my 21" Trek 750. I could go larger, but then I start to get into standover conflicts, and I also don't care to be really stretched out with a longer top tube also, so I typically look for "medium" range frames as well. I can get comfortable on a frame as small as about 16", but am most comfortable in the 18-22" range.
Old 10-31-21, 06:26 PM
msalvetti

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
What size is your frame, when measured from the center of the crank spindle to the top of the seat post? I think an 18-20" frame would probably be about right for you, depending on your actual inseam. I wear 32 inseam slacks and I'm pretty comfortable on my 21" Trek 750. I could go larger, but then I start to get into standover conflicts, and I also don't care to be really stretched out with a longer top tube also, so I typically look for "medium" range frames as well. I can get comfortable on a frame as small as about 16", but am most comfortable in the 18-22" range.
Thanks for your time on this. I agree, I will have issues with the standover height. The crank spindle to top of seat post on my bike is 19". But I do have trouble raising the seat enough to extend my legs without it looking a bit ridiculous. I wear 30" inseam slacks, my biking inseam is 31.5".

I was looking at buying a Trek FX 3, but due to shortages I haven't found one to ride. My LBS had a medium FX 3 in for service. I couldn't ride it, but I was able to sit on it, and the shop felt it was too small. They said I dwarfed it.

But a large FX 3 has a standover height of 31.5 inches. I am thinking about the stagger version, or maybe an FX Sport 4 that gives me an extra inch.

Lots to think about, but I have time. My LBS doesn't expect to see any new bikes until May.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti: