Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Flared Bars-What am I doing wrong here?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Flared Bars-What am I doing wrong here?

Old 11-02-21, 07:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
There’s no reach adjustment on these levers, they’re Apex1. But even if there were, I don’t think it would help since it’s the lateral position, not the reach dimension that’s off.
I think there is reach adjustment, and obviously some part of the lever is moving closer to the bar, so maybe that’d be a more comfy place to grab it than at the distal end (where there’s more lateral offset). I dunno, but it may be worth a try, and even if it doesn’t achieve the positioning you want, at least you learned something about your bike!

Also, you earlier mentioned moving the levers “out and down,” but did you consider angling them more inward? It seems inward would be the direction to go to bring the lever ends more inline with the bar hooks.
Old 11-02-21, 08:00 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I think there is reach adjustment, and obviously some part of the lever is moving closer to the bar, so maybe that’d be a more comfy place to grab it than at the distal end (where there’s more lateral offset). I dunno, but it may be worth a try, and even if it doesn’t achieve the positioning you want, at least you learned something about your bike!

Also, you earlier mentioned moving the levers “out and down,” but did you consider angling them more inward? It seems inward would be the direction to go to bring the lever ends more inline with the bar hooks.
Interesting video, the sram website says the Apex1 shifters aren't reach adjustable, but I checked it out and sure enough the bolts are there like in the video. I don't think it'll make any difference, but its easy enough to try.

As for rotating the shifters inward, its weird, it seems to make it worse.
Old 11-02-21, 09:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Interesting video, the sram website says the Apex1 shifters aren't reach adjustable, but I checked it out and sure enough the bolts are there like in the video. I don't think it'll make any difference, but its easy enough to try.

As for rotating the shifters inward, its weird, it seems to make it worse.
Ah well…you tried; on to another solution!

Here are my Force HRD on Easton EA70 AX for reference. They look like they’re pointing out from the front, but viewed from above, you can see they’re inline with the outside edge of the drops, and not flared out at all:

Old 11-02-21, 12:06 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by chaadster
Ah well…you tried; on to another solution!

Here are my Force HRD on Easton EA70 AX for reference. They look like they’re pointing out from the front, but viewed from above, you can see they’re inline with the outside edge of the drops, and not flared out at all:

Ah, check this view (excuse the crap in the background please):

Old 11-02-21, 12:36 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
This is something I considered, but this is where they need to be to be comfortable in the hoods. I’ve thought that maybe I’ve got them too far up the bar where it’s still transitioning into the drops, so the clamp area is more horizontal than the drop grip.

Maybe I need a bar with a flare kinda like this? These are $$$ carbon bars though and I really don’t like spending >$100 on handlebars since they’re mostly disposable for me.

As long as we're showing of pictures of bikes with a mess around them ... here's my laundry room, bike shop, dog food warehouse, office printer, and Frau Toad's craft room

I'll share my two flared bar rigs:

Drop-bar Pugsley with Salsa Woodchippers and Gevenalle GX shifters. Notice that these hood are mount below level and I've got the bars rotated down. I don't ride the hoods often, mostly low speed manuvering, but I find the "pistol grip" great on with this set up. I spend most of my miles on the drops.

This is my 2017 Breeze Radar Pro with stock flare bars and SRAM Double Tap shifters. This looks more like your set up, but I've never felt an issue with reach on the hoods or drops. I have to admit, I haven't done any adjustments since the shop set it up for deliver 4 years ago.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-02-21 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added image
Old 11-02-21, 01:26 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Well I just did my third ride on these bars and they’ve got to go. I rotated them out and down a smidge and it made it a little more comfy on the drops, but now they’re uncomfortable on the hoods.
It ain't the bars, bro. It's the SRAM shifters. Changing to a shifter that has a non-flared brake lever tip isn't and option, but I can definitively say that a GRX shifter will be directly inline with the bar drop bend (flared or not). For example, not the lever ranges on the PRO Discover Carbon 20° bars in the foreground, and the Specialized Hover Flare 12° in the background, of the top picture. (Forgive the garage mess...it's also the laundry room and where the cats drop off their recycled food.)

Old 11-02-21, 03:03 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Hand position question for the OP: how are you positioning your hands on the hoods?

Try rotating your hands 'out', meaning giving your fingers more reach with less of the thumb on the insides of the hoods. Frau Toad met with a bike fitter over the summer and found this advice helpful for both her wrist pain and better control on the brakes and shifting also she has much smaller hands so the reach was a big help.

For reference, here's my hand position with the right hand comfortable reaching the brakes.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-03-21 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Edit: these bars are Oval Concepts 325, 125mm drop, 25° flare, 4° sweep
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-02-21, 03:06 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by Badger6
It ain't the bars, bro. It's the SRAM shifters.
C'mon bro!

I'm not getting rid of the SRAM shifters, but I do see what you're saying. Anyways, backcountry.com is taking the bars back even though they're used, which is pretty awesome. Not sure what I'll get next, Specialized doesn't sell the exact bars I had on my bike originally as an aftermarket part, and FSA doesn't make the bars I used to really like anymore, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. Maybe get a set of Zipps, since they're owned by SRAM and the ******g bars better work with the ******g shifters they make.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 11-02-21, 03:11 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
They'll definitely work Phatman ...you're just going to have to get used to the ergonomics of the SRAM shifter, which on a flared bar cause the flare to be a bit more pronounced. Take a look at post #32, I think Hypno Toad is on to something.
Old 11-02-21, 03:47 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Maybe more than you want to spend, but Lauf sells their smoothie handlebar: Lauf Smoothie - Lauf Smoothie (laufcycling.com). Almost all Lauf builds are SRAM, so you can look through the pictures on the website to see if it would work. Not cheap at all, but might work for you.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 11-02-21, 07:42 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by ericcox
Maybe more than you want to spend, but Lauf sells their smoothie handlebar: Lauf Smoothie - Lauf Smoothie (laufcycling.com). Almost all Lauf builds are SRAM, so you can look through the pictures on the website to see if it would work. Not cheap at all, but might work for you.
Yeah the cost is too high and they exhibit the same issue as the Pro Discover bars I’m returning.

Old 11-03-21, 04:12 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

Here’s my cable brake Rival levers on a Redshift Kitchen Sink bar. While they do go a bit past the bar it’s not much
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 11-05-21, 03:36 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
More elbow bend and flare, Its the shifters and not the bars. I run 24 deg flare with shimano hydro shifters and minimal flare with my sram HRD shifters. They don't play well with the design
Likes For redlude97: