Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Curious - Did GT make a Touring Road Bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 10:37 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

As the thread title poses, I don't think I've ever seen a GT touring bike. I had one of their mountains a few years ago and they certainly make tonnes of those, as well as several sport road bikes. But, no touring roads as far as I can see. Anyone here ever own one, or seen an example?
Old 11-01-21, 10:51 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
As the thread title poses, I don't think I've ever seen a GT touring bike. I had one of their mountains a few years ago and they certainly make tonnes of those, as well as several sport road bikes. But, no touring roads as far as I can see. Anyone here ever own one, or seen an example?
You mean a classic road touring bike?

If not, many GT Grade versions make for good touring rigs. You'd have to get a seatpost clamp mount for a rear rack, but the fork is ready to accept a front rack.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 11-01-21 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-05-21, 07:51 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
I've never seen one, but my GT commuter is a good example of a fairly well suited bike that handles groceries well, and to me that's the main thing.
pretty darn cheap parts though.
Old 11-05-21, 08:36 PM
rogerm3d

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
I can't really speak on GT after they were bought out in 2001 or so by Pacific (and a lot of bike shops dropped them, things got better slowly after 2004 and they have made inroads back into shops/the high end market). Pre 2001 aside from a limited lower end line of hybrid bicycles their entire line was pretty racing oriented and I can't think I've ever seen a touring GT. I don't think they ever really cared about touring as all of their innovation was related to racing (carbon fiber, titanium, and aero development for road, ti/carbon and full suspension for mountain)
Old 11-06-21, 08:45 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Ok, well it seems GT deserves a compliment for not watering itself down so to speak by trying to fill every niche and sticking to what it does best. I had never seen one, new or vintage, and this is why.
Old 11-16-21, 01:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Ok, well it seems GT deserves a compliment for not watering itself down so to speak by trying to fill every niche and sticking to what it does best. I had never seen one, new or vintage, and this is why.
Yes.

It was called the GT Peace Tour and had a 3x9 drivetrain, bar end shifters, steel frame, mechanical disc brakes, etc. It was around 10+ years ago.

Looks like you need to pull back that compliment. I am sure GT couldnt care less, but go ahead and add them to your list of brands that apparently try to fill every niche.