Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Right Gravel bike size

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 12:35 PM
Mkey101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right Gravel bike size

Hello there,

I am currently in a process of buying this gravel bike by BH: GRAVELX EVO 4.0

My height is 182-183 cm.
Before I used road bike with "L" size it was pretty OK.
Now Bikeshop dude saying, that for such Gravel bike "M" size would be more suitable for me, especially on longer distances.

How do you think guys, is it wort to take Medium size, or keep the L size with my height?
Old 11-03-21, 12:56 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Sizing guide says you fit a large.
Old 11-03-21, 01:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
The online chart says a medium frame is designed for someone up to 177cm. And it shows you are right in the middle of the size range for a large frame.

But more importantly than a suggested size chart is the frame geometry for both sizes. The stack and reach numbers are very different, and the head tube angle is significantly different too. Basically- you will feel like you are riding two totally different bikes between those two sizes.
Use the stack and reach numbers to decide what is the best fit, but I would guess the large is going to be better based only on your height.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-03-21, 07:45 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkey101
Before I used road bike with "L" size it was pretty OK.
Now Bikeshop dude saying, that for such Gravel bike "M" size would be more suitable for me, especially on longer distances.
IMO, the surface you ride on has little to do with how your bike should fit you, especially for longer distances. Either the bike fits or it doesn't.
Old 11-03-21, 10:07 PM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
The large seems to be more suitable than a medium IMO, based on the intended fit of the bike.
As you're more likely to be seated for longer rides, I would focus on the top tube length, then do any tweaking with handlebar stem length and height - the top tube length seems like what I would expect.