Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

grips

Old 11-05-21, 07:39 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx, giant stance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
grips

hi there how comfy are foam grips thinking of buying some but jut want to know how comfy they are. thank you.
Old 11-05-21, 10:00 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 65 Posts
I've never used foam grips but I think I'd avoid them. Besides sounding completely not durable, as with most things cycling you want the equipment to fit you. Using padding to make that happen isn't usually a great solution. Best bet is go to a LBS and put your hands on all the grips and find something that fits your hands. I'd suggest looking at the Ergon line of grips. I have some and they are very good.
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 11-05-21, 11:36 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Not bad if you're just looking for something cheap to replace with and only ride occasionally. Really depends on the foam as well. Older style open foam grips were usually fairly basic and could break down quickly compared to a rubber grip or get kind of hard and crunchy if low use and got old. They weren't all that comfortable but also not typically uncomfortable. Newer, high density foam can be quite nice, still not quite as durable as rubber but often more cushioning for the same thickness as they are less dense then rubber. When wet they're also more prone to moving on the bars. But very good vibration dampening. Up side to rubber is that you can get better shaped grips for even more comfort but at still greater cost. For a low use hybrid, wouldn't hesitate to get a high density foam, for higher mileage I'd spend more.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-06-21, 07:49 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Ergon GP grips.. biokork, awesome grips.
Likes For bmwpowere36m3:
Old 11-07-21, 01:40 PM
whydoibike93

okay will go tomorrow to lbs and look at there grips because the one on my hybrid are off my mountain bike and i just do not like them.
Old 11-11-21, 06:03 PM
whydoibike93

put on ergon GA3 comfort lock grips and just the little i have rode the bike i can tell its made a difference m wrist and hands don't go numb.
Likes For whydoibike93:
Old 11-15-21, 07:02 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
I recently purchased new grips for a from-parts hybrid Motobecane bicycle that included PRUNUS Bike Grips Rubber Ergonomic Antislip Handlebar Grips (Amazon, $17.99). They have a flat palm rest that I find very comfortable and you adjust the angle to what suits you the best. More long lasting than foam. They also have a right angle bar at the end of each grip that protects your hands or brake levers in case of crash, not that I am planning that. I have Carpometacarpal syndrome (pain at the base of the thumb) from osteoarthritis and these help. Good luck.
Old 11-23-21, 11:02 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
...For a low use hybrid, wouldn't hesitate to get a high density foam, for higher mileage I'd spend more.
Doesn't anyone use padded gloves anymore? I've always found a good solid grip coupled with a well padded glove to be fine...
Old 11-23-21, 09:54 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
Doesn't anyone use padded gloves anymore? I've always found a good solid grip coupled with a well padded glove to be fine...
Only when the weather is cold, usually I find them uncomfortable, don't like the reduced feeling of grip, and typically can't be bothered looking for a pair since the kids scatter them. Personally I will always wrap or install grips on the basis of what I'm comfortable with for just hopping on the bike and riding. If I need gloves to make it comfortable then I take the time to fix the bike to what it should be.
Old 11-25-21, 07:42 PM
costel

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had ESI Extra Chunky on a Soma Sparrow handlebar for a couple of years and they were ok. Very hard to install and remove though.
Old 11-26-21, 08:46 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
Ergon GP grips.. biokork, awesome grips.
Totally agree! I had minor wrist discomfort with round grips till I found a used pair of GP2 (minimal horns). The support is phenomenal, discomfort gone, control improved, and alt positions appreciated Had them for at least 4 years and don't know how many years with previous owner. Just now showing minor wear and endured a couple of spills with only nominal scraping to the end caps.

Even new, they are in the $30 range and WELL WORTH the price!