Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What motivates you to ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What motivates you to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-21, 04:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
What motivates me now is simply feeling much better when I go for a ride than when I don't. I used to race as a teenager in the '70s, and spent a lot of time in the outdoors in the '80s, but injuries (back and knee) took me away from exercising for three decades. I finally started riding the bike I had bought after my first hip surgery, when the doctor gave me permission after the other hip was done. I was lackadaisical about it until the pandemic, when I realized this might literally be my last chance to get in shape. I always kept a training log when I raced, and on July 1, 2020, started keeping one again. I knew that if I started writing it down, I'd be more serious about it, and it worked.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 11-23-21, 10:05 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 408 Posts
Riding is how I meditate. I run a business from home, have young kids despite my age, have a wife who also works from from, and all of us live in the middle of a rather large and noisy city. Between work, helping the kids with their school work, music, swimming, ballet, art, and other classes, and helping the wife around the house, I have little time to myself. I don’t ride enough for it to be monotonous, so when I do get on the bike, it is something of a treat. I don’t ride so much for fitness, I play squash every morning, which gives me a pretty good workout, riding is just for settling down.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 11-24-21, 01:44 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I ride for the joy of it. That feeling begins when I first stand up on the pedals when starting out on a ride. It does wonders for my peace of mind and drains away my thoughts and problems that cause anxiety. I keep track of distances (mostly for maintenance reasons), but I don't really worry about my speed or any other number.

Starting out on a ride makes me feel like I'm 14 years old again.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 11-27-21, 09:15 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Hello. My name is Brent and I'm an endorphin junkie.
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-28-21, 10:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Hello. My name is Brent and I'm an endorphin junkie.
Hello Brent. How many years have you been….uh clean…uh I mean….not so clean? Never mind.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-04-21, 02:20 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
What motivates me:
1. I feel like I'm 15 years-old again when I'm on my bike... when I'm not climbing, at least.
2. I love the idea that I'm getting from point A to point B with only my power. The bike may make me significantly more efficient, but it is still my power.
3. Commuting to work (two days a week) is green and refer back to # 2 as well.
4. I don't want to die young.
5. It's my quiet time/ alone time when I ride solo.
6. The comradery when I ride with a group.

And that's just off the top of my head. Enjoy.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 12-05-21, 02:30 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
For me it's a few things. One, I always loved biking. It's also the only form of exercise I truly enjoy. More importantly riding helps me with some issues, specifically depression. Not sure that's a healthy way to deal with it. But it does work for a couple reasons, so I do it.
Old 12-05-21, 06:22 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Cars suck and bikes are the epitome of simplicity - ride on!
Old 12-08-21, 09:01 PM
mattswabb

Bikes: Scott Foil, GT Edge titanium, Trek Y bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reclaiming my passion and beating the”kids” motivates me.
Likes For mattswabb:
Old 12-09-21, 12:41 PM
HookUp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I like beer
Old 12-10-21, 01:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by exercion
For me it's a few things. One, I always loved biking. It's also the only form of exercise I truly enjoy. More importantly riding helps me with some issues, specifically depression. Not sure that's a healthy way to deal with it. But it does work for a couple reasons, so I do it.
Having a significant amount of education in mental health, I can assure you cycling is a very healthy way to deal with depression other than seeing a licensed professional. There are so many destructive ways to deal with it, I am very encouraged you found a method which is mentally as well as physically healthy. Keep it up - and even if you are feeling very blue, force yourself to jump on your bike and commit to at least a 15 minute ride and just see how it can turn things around. Of course if severely depressed, seek professional help.

I started running in high school due to high levels of anxiety and ran all through college, grad school and well into my professional life. It helped a great deal especially if I ran myself to the point of total exhaustion (not advocating that for you). Only after repeated injury’s did I switch to cycling and never looked back. The anxiety has lessened with age but then the cycling has also increased.

As an aside, one time while competing a 6 mile run, I passed a guy waiting at the bus stop. He yelled at me, “You can’t run away from your problems”. My reply to him (being fully licensed) was, “If you only really knew.” Cracked me up but also rang true.

Old 12-11-21, 07:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

What motivates me? Not going to an early grave. Experiencing nature. Being able to think uninterrupted. Pushing limits.

Old 12-13-21, 09:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
For me it's about the mechanics of the bike and the "mechanics" of the rider. I like to play with shifting and different techniques for climbing or pacing. I am interested in the variable of a ride and how they affect the ride.
Old 12-13-21, 07:45 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
It’s taken me some time but I’m pretty much over with the metrics associated with rides anymore. I just don’t feel the need to chase speeds, PR’s, climbing and distance. I don’t even care how many miles I ride in a year.

Anymore it’s about the experience. A good ride these days has some “aha” moments, maybe an adventure on new roads and hopefully some food! Riding can be solo or with others. And I also really enjoy riding to a destination whether a single day or multiple days.

I still really enjoy riding but for completely different reasons, and I love it!!!

Anyone else???
I used to ride and lead club rides. When covid arrived, I kept sane by riding with a small group, usually 3 to 6 riders. We went exploring, finding new rural areas with smooth roads, essentially no traffic, and more hills than I'd attempt with a larger group. It's just a way better experience, and now I've continued doing this. My tolerance for traffic has gone way down. There's better places to ride. With such a small group, we'll pull over to let a car go by on climbs, then enjoy the rest of the quiet climb in peace. That's not practical with bigger groups.

Tomorrow, we are heading to one of our favorite areas, and will probably see less than a dozen vehicles in 40 miles.

I do like seeing PRs and hard efforts ranked, but only after the ride. I'm rarely targeting a Strava PR, but it's interesting to see how they compare to my older history.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-13-21 at 07:49 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 12-22-21, 10:15 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
The simple, childish joy of riding my bike from place to place.
Old 12-22-21, 04:57 PM
djm1834 

Bikes: Rodriguez road bike; Rodriguez gravel bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I started riding again at age 55 for the exercise, but now (18 years later) I keep doing it for the fun of it.

'73 Frejus TdF
'06 Rodriguez Sport
'11 Rodriguez Sprint

'19 Rodriguez Bandit
Likes For djm1834:
Old 12-22-21, 09:08 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I'm getting back into riding now in a big way. I used to ride just for fun as a kid, but that was just a kid doing kid stuff. I was stationed in Okinawa for a year and got into riding a lot there rather than buying a car and driving on the wrong side of the road. After I got back, I kind of let go of riding in favor of other hobbies. Now that I'm getting older, and more arthritic, the joints can't take the beating they used to from running. I've switched back to biking as my primary means of staying in shape. I don't count my annual miles or anything like that, but I do have certain rides that are a defined distance and I ride them for time. Just my own personal best, not any sort of competition.
Although I have recently started participating in triathlons. Notice I said "participate" and not "compete". At my age, the only competition is finishing before the course closes.
I tell people about my workout regimen and, especially at my age, a lot of people are shocked. I tell them I don't work out like I work out because I like to work out. I work out like I work out because I like to eat!
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-23-21, 09:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
There is an old, familiar place both physical and mental. Only cycling gets me there.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 12-30-21, 02:07 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I ride to just to get out of the house. If the weather allows it I ride 5 to 7 times a week. I have an indoor trainer but I get so bored on it I have not set it up since I put away back in april.

A few times a year there's 37 mile flat loop that I like to try and avg 20 mph just as a bench mark to see if I am getting any better.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-02-22, 02:30 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I used to race; my motivation was for the adventure and challenge & I got a kick out of the competition. Now that no longer race, my motivation remaining unchanged; still adventure and challenge. It's just taken a new form in bikepacking. Still very demanding physically, but even more rewarding spiritually.
Likes For IronM:
Old 01-04-22, 06:16 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
cold and dark are motivating me to not ride