Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Blackburn HP pump with non-Schrader valves?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 09:27 AM
zerobuttons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone here experience with the Blackburn HP pump and different kinds of valves?

I´m considering buying this pump for my home workshop, but it seems that the pump head is very Schrader-valve specific. Will it work well (with adapters or such) with other kinds of valves?
Old 02-06-11, 09:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I just looked at the Blackburn web site and they show the HP floor pump as having a Presta-specific head, not Schrader at all. There are adapters to allow a Presta pump head to work on Schrader valves but they aren't nearly as common as the other way around.

Many other brands of floor pumps come with a dual-head that works on either Presta or Schrader valves with no adapters needed.
Old 02-06-11, 10:47 AM
zerobuttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, I mixed up the names. I´m pretty sure I can find the adapter.

Any idea how well it will work - will I be able to use the full range of pressure, the pump can deliver?
Old 02-06-11, 11:25 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The adapters do work and will allow the full range of pump pressure although I don't know why you want to be able to fill a Schrader valve tube to 200 psi.

Be sure to get the correct adapter. Schrader pump to presta valve adapters are everywhere, usually for $1.50 or less, since they allow presta tubes to be inflated with car or gas station pumps in an emergency. The adapter you want is a lot more unusual and more expensive. Here is one source I was able to find:
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Adapter.aspx
Old 02-06-11, 03:27 PM
zerobuttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your answer, again. Last time I picked up a Schrader-to-auto valve adapter at my local bike shop, I noticed that he had at least three other kinds of adapters in the drawer, so I expect that he has this one as well.
I just noticed, though, when checking out the Blackburn pumps at another dealer than the one I had visited first, that the Air Tower 4 model apparently comes with a Schrader+Presta head (two holes), and the same pressurizing capability.

Yes, I know that I would probably not be needing 11 bar pressurizing capability every day, but I believe that this parameter tells a lot about the expected gasket life-time and construction sturdiness of the pump.