Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dutch bicycle options??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dutch bicycle options??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 02:18 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Aikatrading in California has Gazelle R3T dutch bike for $900 plus shipping (probably around 100 bucks). Compare that to $5000 carbon fiber race bike, it's cheap!
I got my Gazelle for $1200 with shipping.
Old 07-15-15, 02:23 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Easier on Dutch people, maybe. Many other places have a thing called uphill.
My Gazelle has a Shimano 8 speed with a low gear of 26 gear inches, I'm in a mountainous area and regularly ride hills up to 15%+ grades and its no more work than my road bike that has a low gear of 31 gear inches.
Old 07-15-15, 02:24 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Aikatrading in California has Gazelle R3T dutch bike for $900 plus shipping (probably around 100 bucks). Compare that to $5000 carbon fiber race bike, it's cheap!
That is a deal for a Gazelle. Only a 3 speed, but that's fine even for modest hills. My belleville originally had a 3 speed and it was fine. Only problem was some times I wanted to be between gears.

If you don't mind the step through frame you can't do much better for a quality city bike.
Old 07-15-15, 02:27 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
They have different models ranging from $900 to $1500.
I think their CF bikes are a little more than that.
Old 07-15-15, 03:47 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
The standard OPA frame bike. I wanted the Workcycles transport, but am too short for the frame. Apparently dutch people are rather tall as I am at to slightly above average height for a person of German ancestry.
Great bike.
Old 07-15-15, 05:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
So do I, it was an easy go even up a steep hill. Omaha is one of the most hilly cities in the U.S. It's a myth dutch bikes are hard on hills. Unless you have tried a real dutch bike you really can't comment.
I'll comment if I want to, since the tone of your parting shot seems to fit with others' comments about these bikes selling mostly because they're fashionable right now. What supposed magic of design is helping a normal average person get up a hill easier with 15lb more bike and higher gearing and potentially a hundred pounds of kids/groceries/payload?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-15-15, 05:58 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'll comment if I want to, since the tone of your parting shot seems to fit with others' comments about these bikes selling mostly because they're fashionable right now. What supposed magic of design is helping a normal average person get up a hill easier with 15lb more bike and higher gearing and potentially a hundred pounds of kids/groceries/payload?
Not easier, just no different than any other bike that doesn't prioritize speed and light weight. My dutch bike is 20+ lbs heavier than my road bike, but I'll be danged if I can tell the difference in effort it takes to get up that mile long,15% grade on my commute home. Its work no matter what bike I'm riding.
If I'm doing a long ride I actually prefer the dutch bike because at the end of the day, the extra comfort more than offsets the additional effort and is ultimately less fatiguing.

Retro bikes may be in fashion with certain urban cliques, but that doesn't change a dutch bikes value for practical utility.
Old 07-16-15, 08:27 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Get into an aggressive riding position to attack the hill. It won't be as efficient as a race bike, but it works. Lean forward. If have to, stand up to pedal. These position feels very awkward at first, but you get used to it. And it becomes the new normal to you.
I put Gazelles switch stem on my bike. For normal, and less challenging conditions I have the bars up in the traditional position. If I want a little more power or speed, with a flip of a lever I can drop the bars and move them forward enough to make a noticeable difference.
Old 07-16-15, 09:56 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
... these bikes selling mostly because they're fashionable right now. What supposed magic of design is helping a normal average person get up a hill easier with 15lb more bike and higher gearing and potentially a hundred pounds of kids/groceries/payload?
Fashionable? These bikes haven't changed much for decades and have remained the predominant transportation bicycle for decades.

No magic is needed. The average person who is not trying to put 3 seconds in to a competitor climbing the Alps will not much notice the difference in speed or power required. What they will notice is much greater comfort and better handling when carrying stuff.
Old 07-16-15, 03:21 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Fine, but it's an uninformed comment.

If you think they are selling because they are fashionable, you just don't know dutch bikes and should not comment.

Note, I can tell no difference in climbing a hill on this over my light, but uncomfortable hybrid bike that can't carry a thing other than me.

Again, if you have not ridden one you can not comment. Just as I can't comment on sporty bikes. If you don't understand that I can not help you.

Last edited by harshbarj; 07-16-15 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-16-15, 05:16 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Do you really need a Dutch Bicycle? $1800. is lot for an overweight bike and overpriced bike. Bike Direct could save you upwards of 30% or more. Save up to 60% off Road Bikes, Free Ship 48, Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane and more Road bikes. Authorized dealer for Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, Dawes road bikes. Shimano Carbon Road Bikes, Titanium Road Bikes, I've bought my commuter from then and couldn't be happier.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 07-16-15, 10:28 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Do you really need a Dutch Bicycle? $1800. is lot for an overweight bike and overpriced bike. Bike Direct could save you upwards of 30% or more. Save up to 60% off Road Bikes, Free Ship 48, Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane and more Road bikes. Authorized dealer for Schwinn, GT, Kestrel, Fuji, Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, Dawes road bikes. Shimano Carbon Road Bikes, Titanium Road Bikes, I've bought my commuter from then and couldn't be happier.
If one wants a bicycle to do what they do, the way they do it, then yes. The price is commensurate for other bikes equally equipped with similar quality name brand components. The weight is a reflection of its intended use and lifespan.
Bike direct bikes are fine and a good value, but they offer nothing comparable. My wifes bike is from bikes direct, its a decent bike for a decent price, but there's no way it would survive daily, year round, all weather use, with little attention, for decades the way dutch bikes do, so its a pointless comparison.

Last edited by kickstart; 07-16-15 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 01:55 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I wish Bike Direct will import an exact clone of a Dutch bike for $400 made in China. I'm tempted to get a Flying Pigeon (the "National Bike of China") just for fun.
Just keep in mind a stock Flying Pigeon is a single speed, will need a bit of tinkering and better hardware to be serviceable, and just throw away the pedals that come with it, they won't survive the first hill.
Old 07-17-15, 02:27 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a Linus Roadster 8 as a commuter for four years in a big city. It goes like stink. I leave it locked up outside at work, aside from chipped up areas around where I u-lock it, itks brand new after a wipe-down. After four years the only thing I had to fix were the usual maintenance things and one bottom bracket. I use all 8 gears constantly and the hub hasn't seen a single service so far.

For $850 and change I don't think you can find a more fun and reliable machine.
Old 07-23-15, 01:27 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So the Pigeon is more like a Sport Roadster?
No, its a cheap copy of a Raleigh DL-1 tourist, a long wheelbase 28" roadster.
Old 07-23-15, 08:32 PM
Pcola99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(This is my very first post so please forgive me if this is not the best thread for this question.)

I live in the Florida panhandle, and I am trying to find someone who owns an Achielle Craighton Oma that I can sit on and perhaps ride. The closest dealers seem to be in CA and New England, and that is too far for me to travel to see if the bike feels right to me. How do others here try out hard-to-find bikes before they buy them? Anyone have an Achielle Oma? I would be happy to drive 3 or 4 hours just to try one out. I'm 6'2" with neck issues, so I need to be sure the posture is right for me. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 07-24-15, 12:10 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In the summer, I switch up on what I ride for commuting, the difference between my road bikes and roadsters is most apparent when I switch back to a road bike.