Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 03:45 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
A rack on an Ironman is like Sophia Loren in bib overalls:

You know what's really going on, and it's fabulous.
what is the status of the undershirt on those bib overalls? IF she is sporting the "undershirt delete" option and i can see side boob ---- then i agree-- fabulous (well, fabulous for a 20 year span from the 60's to the 80's ---- actually she looked pretty fetching in a 1995 or 6 "Grumpier Old Men " movie too )

Last edited by DMC707; 04-29-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 11:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
what is the status of the undershirt on those bib overalls? IF she is sporting the "undershirt delete" option and i can see side boob ---- then i agree-- fabulous (well, fabulous for a 20 year span from the 60's to the 80's ---- actually she looked pretty fetching in a 1995 or 6 "Grumpier Old Men " movie too )
I'll give credit for experience level.....
Old 05-01-16, 06:29 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Welcome back to bikeforums. Hope you are 100% or as close as possible again

Originally Posted by curbtender
+1
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Happy to see your name back in the centurion sub forum. I think you were one of the first to post here. Do your ironman bikes look as sweet as they used to ? You right, he stole it.
Off topic for a second,

Thanks ALL, for the kind words.. Yes, old man age, time, arthritis, and even a touch of the unmentionable BIG C all took at bite out of the old man at my mid seventees.. However, some way I am bouncing back. After that steroid shot in the hip to staved off the arthritis, the old man got a smile on face, and very close to normal. I have been ducking age, arthritis and all the normal things that come with the age bracket for a long, long time. . So, even though not back to where I was 2 years ago, I am big time grateful to still be here kicking, and yes riding. I have my beater bike stored at the Union Station Bikestation in DC, I keep a bike in my mini van at all times, and since I am retired now, I go at any time, any where with bike.

Lastly, you see my sig, got all of them, shameful hoarding, and riding most of them.. New thrill, the 2 MTBs, I just added, $250 for both, and they they are in very good to excellent condition..

Again, thanks for the welcome, oh, an Robbie Tunes has made me a monster too.. Nobody should have all these bikes.

Back on topic, the OP got a hellva a deal.. As we all know, the Centurion Ironmans are pure de SLEEPERS..

BTW one more time, .. I got another Ironman coming to the fold, no it is not in my sig yet, this will make me have 3 Ironmans. What makes this so special? well the word from the Bike Gods above, and the Master Builder, this is going to be a BEAST.

You know I will make a thread for it, and I think that will be it for me on Ironmans, 3 is overkill, but I am loving it. No more, no more, that is unless I see a BLACK EXPERT, IN 60MM for a steal price..
Old 05-01-16, 07:03 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Thanks for gracing us with your presence. Your indomitable spirit and zest for life is an inspiration to us all. Your quest for fitness/health and gratitude for life makes us envious.
The part about no more Ironman unless you find a deal on a 60cm black expert made me chuckle.
Don't be a stranger here, and I'm waiting on your next build. Later Irongent.
Old 05-01-16, 02:30 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
made a little change to Redman today. buddy of mine "upgraded" his wheelset to carbon and lo- his 4 month old set of ultegra wheels were sitting around all lonely. Nothing flashy but they feel solid as hell and smooth... very very smooth.

Old 05-01-16, 02:37 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've got the same wheelset on my Look 585. If you don't already have tubeless tires on them, I recommend you try some when you replace the current ones. They make it even smoother.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-01-16, 04:05 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I've got the same wheelset on my Look 585. If you don't already have tubeless tires on them, I recommend you try some when you replace the current ones. They make it even smoother.
that is the plan - the tires are about 50% now and i'll switch to to tubeless when the time comes. luckily he kept the spacer (for my 9 sped) and the tubless valves.
Old 05-01-16, 07:28 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The stock Shimano valves have non-removable cores. If you're going to use sealant, get a pair of valves with removable cores, mount the tires as usual, then pull the valve cores and insert the sealant through the valves. It's WAY easier. I used Stan's valves and sealant.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-01-16, 07:50 PM
trekKiller

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Master, Motobecane Jubile Sport, Mongoose ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Finally finished my most recent build which took about 2 years. iphone 6s+ photo. high res to come...

Ironman frame.
Ultegra cranks with Doval rings.
Tiagra 10 speed shifters, Tiagra brakes, 105 derailleurs, 105 cluster, KMC X10 chain.
Mavic Ksyrium Elites, Conti Grand Prix classic 25c tires.
Easton EC90 full carbon aero fork, EC90 Aero bars, EC90 0 seat post.
Fizik Tri2 carbon railed Arione, Easton microfiber bar tape.

Weighed in at 19.1lbs

Thanks to Robbie for the stem and threadless 1" headset!
Old 05-01-16, 09:39 PM
texaspandj

@trekKiller, Wecome back. Very nice build. That oval black chain ring is killer. Congratulations. @jetboy, redman still looking good and nice pic too.
Old 05-02-16, 05:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

As his User ID implies, Treks need to watch out. Especially carbon treks.
Those here who remember his Miami Vice tri-bike will understand. Rocketry.

Originally Posted by trekKiller

Finally finished my most recent build which took about 2 years. iphone 6s+ photo. high res to come...

Ironman frame.
Ultegra cranks with Doval rings.
Tiagra 10 speed shifters, Tiagra brakes, 105 derailleurs, 105 cluster, KMC X10 chain.
Mavic Ksyrium Elites, Conti Grand Prix classic 25c tires.
Easton EC90 full carbon aero fork, EC90 Aero bars, EC90 0 seat post.
Fizik Tri2 carbon railed Arione, Easton microfiber bar tape.

Weighed in at 19.1lbs

Thanks to Robbie for the stem and threadless 1" headset!
Old 05-02-16, 05:55 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by jetboy
made a little change to Redman today. buddy of mine "upgraded" his wheelset to carbon and lo- his 4 month old set of ultegra wheels were sitting around all lonely. Nothing flashy but they feel solid as hell and smooth... very very smooth.
Originally Posted by revchuck
The stock Shimano valves have non-removable cores. If you're going to use sealant, get a pair of valves with removable cores, mount the tires as usual, then pull the valve cores and insert the sealant through the valves. It's WAY easier. I used Stan's valves and sealant.
Wow, Ironmen moving into the future. This is good, very good. Jetboy and TrekKiller are moving us where we want to go....
Old 05-02-16, 05:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Shout out to seypat....

He brought his MV Ironman 100 miles or more down the road to Greenville (only 50 for me), and we put a pair of steel bikes on the road, in the rain, for the Fiesta Biathlon. We ignored the tri-jerks and had fun (since we couldn't beat them). I was more occupied with people than I wanted to be, but I did enjoy a Mexican meal with Pat, and we talked our upcoming Ironman storming of Thunder Ridge with Doc Cannondale (on his Ironman, too).
Old 05-02-16, 11:00 PM
VeniceColby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Fine Centurion Ironman Bike Loving Fellows! Some very sexy bikes on here, for reals. The juxtaposition of the 'classic' paint jobs and new(ish) clean components is killer.

But I'm backing into this: My 2003 Specialized Allez Elite was stolen last week. It was locked, with a cable lock, in front of the YMCA. I fancied a low-visibility used bike... a single speed... and found this Ironman Master (88, 89?) on Craigslist for $70. Just bought it. But... it might be the wrong size. The kid measured a 31 inch 'stand over height' over the phone. Sounded close. Went with cash and it rolled well; seatpost was stuck on lowest so it seemed like it would be ok with seat jacked up. Bought it. Brought it home and measured it, and not sure now. My 2014 Cervelo (which will never leave my sight now, locked or not) is a 31 inch stand over height, 56cm frame. I'm 6'1". I know I know. Maybe a bit small for me. My Allez was 61cm (a bit big). Apparently lots of pros go a little smaller on race bikes, compact position, etc. So the Cervelo fits for that. 58 might be my size.

Back to the Centurion... I measured the tube from the bottom bracket to the top on the tube, where the seatpost goes: 21 inches (same as the Cervelo). But conversion shows this is a 53cm distance. Were / are these Ironman bikes with 21 inch tubes considered Medium, frames? This bike is probably too small for me, right? Sigh.

Bummer... I was going to join this clan. Fix her up.

Yes... some time ago some Hun made it into a fixed gear / single speed. Sorry purists (although that is what I was looking for). They spray painted red over much of the original gray fade. There are still Shimano 600 hubs, and brake levers and brakes on it, which I assume are original.

What I'm thinking about doing:

(1) Put new bar tape on it, and try to sell it when I've found a replacement. (Strip red paint off again without removing original paint possible?)

(2) Look for a 58 cm (Ironman? 23 inch?) frame, and make my single speed with these parts. Sell/give away this frame.

(3) Restore it: find a twelve speed (or ?) cassette and derailleurs; get new (old) crankset; strip off (?) the red paint. Make it a real Ironman and sell it for a decent price. ?

Thoughts? Sorry for the length of this post. I was a book editor! Figure details help tell the story, for those that read it.

Thanks in advance for any input, thoughtful or otherwise....

Cheers,
Colby

p.s. the serial number doesn't seem to jive with the system I've read about (Sheldon Brown) yet. ?
Old 05-03-16, 05:06 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by VeniceColby
Hi Fine Centurion Ironman Bike Loving Fellows! Some very sexy bikes on here, for reals. The juxtaposition of the 'classic' paint jobs and new(ish) clean components is killer.

But I'm backing into this: My 2003 Specialized Allez Elite was stolen last week. It was locked, with a cable lock, in front of the YMCA. I fancied a low-visibility used bike... a single speed... and found this Ironman Master (88, 89?) on Craigslist for $70. Just bought it. But... it might be the wrong size. The kid measured a 31 inch 'stand over height' over the phone. Sounded close. Went with cash and it rolled well; seatpost was stuck on lowest so it seemed like it would be ok with seat jacked up. Bought it. Brought it home and measured it, and not sure now. My 2014 Cervelo (which will never leave my sight now, locked or not) is a 31 inch stand over height, 56cm frame. I'm 6'1". I know I know. Maybe a bit small for me. My Allez was 61cm (a bit big). Apparently lots of pros go a little smaller on race bikes, compact position, etc. So the Cervelo fits for that. 58 might be my size.

Back to the Centurion... I measured the tube from the bottom bracket to the top on the tube, where the seatpost goes: 21 inches (same as the Cervelo). But conversion shows this is a 53cm distance. Were / are these Ironman bikes with 21 inch tubes considered Medium, frames? This bike is probably too small for me, right? Sigh.

Yes... some time ago some Hun made it into a fixed gear / single speed. Sorry purists (although that is what I was looking for). They spray painted red over much of the original gray fade. There are still Shimano 600 hubs, and brake levers and brakes on it, which I assume are original.

(1) Put new bar tape on it, and try to sell it when I've found a replacement. (Strip red paint off again without removing original paint possible?)

(2) Look for a 58 cm (Ironman? 23 inch?) frame, and make my single speed with these parts. Sell/give away this frame.

(3) Restore it: find a twelve speed (or ?) cassette and derailleurs; get new (old) crankset; strip off (?) the red paint. Make it a real Ironman and sell it for a decent price. ?

Thoughts? Sorry for the length of this post. I was a book editor! Figure details help tell the story, for those that read it.

Cheers,
Colby

p.s. the serial number doesn't seem to jive with the system I've read about (Sheldon Brown) yet. ?
Welcome to Bike Forums. And congratulations on a good find.
Unfortunately I can't pull up any pics of your Ironman, and therefore difficult to reply with certainty. However sounds like you have a 54cm.
All your options seem viable, but not sure about stripping paint and leaving original paint.
Regardless you did good for 70 bucks. I'm curious what do you mean about the serial number and what is the number? Also since it's been painted over, how are you able to tell it's an Ironman? Sorry I don't see any pics of your Ironman.
Lastly one of the coolest things about the Ironman is you can turn it into just about any type of performance bike you want and it'll come thru for you, or make it as modern as you can with the latest high tech/fad/trend/fashion components and it'll be on par with anything out there albeit slightly heavier. Later.

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-03-16 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 08:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Shout out to seypat....

He brought his MV Ironman 100 miles or more down the road to Greenville (only 50 for me), and we put a pair of steel bikes on the road, in the rain, for the Fiesta Biathlon. We ignored the tri-jerks and had fun (since we couldn't beat them). I was more occupied with people than I wanted to be, but I did enjoy a Mexican meal with Pat, and we talked our upcoming Ironman storming of Thunder Ridge with Doc Cannondale (on his Ironman, too).
The bike was money as usual. It just needs a better engine! As soon as I get it cleaned up I will post pictures of it in its latest configuration. You can see the new rims and I will review them. For any of you that are within reasonable distance of Greenville, NC, (reasonable is always debatable) the Fiesta Biathlon is a fun event with a lot of potential. If you sign up early the price is not bad. The 5k run course and 15 mile bike course are relatively flat. The courses are both urban and rural if you consider Greenville urban at all. Very low key, local feel to it. You roll into town, park about a block from the start, open up the trunk and get to it. Same after the finish. Walk back to the car, change, drop off the bike then go eat Mexican food and socialize. My kind of event.

What Robbie is not telling you is this event has a rich history in NC running and cycling. I got to meet some people including Robbie himself, that were/are important in that area's and the state's running and cycling culture/past. Robbie and the other founders should be proud of what they accomplished.

Back to reality. There was an 11 year old boy there that ran the 5k in 19:49! Number 2 overall in the run. I was closing fast on the bike leg, but he still got me overall by a minute and some change. That is some talent there and lack of talent on my part. Maybe Robbie can tell us more about him. He might become famous sometime in the future.

Back to reality II. Two of Robbie's friends, I think the other 2 co-founders of the event, placed 2nd in the team relay. One of them ran the 5k sub 20 minutes and the other the bike leg in sub 40 minutes. Robbie himself dispite not running any this year still smoked me badly on the run/ bike despite walking 3 or 4 times. All 3 of these guys are in their mid to late 50's. Again, that's talent for you. Of course, Robbie will tell you that I really suck when it comes to running and cycling.

Last edited by seypat; 05-03-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 09:27 AM
VeniceColby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repost: Ironman Master Fixie--Right Size? What to Do?

I'll try to post pics again...
Originally Posted by VeniceColby

Cheers,
Colby

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1074.jpg (89.4 KB, 175 views)
IMG_1063.jpg (86.1 KB, 162 views)
IMG_1075.jpg (95.7 KB, 164 views)
IMG_1076.jpg (93.1 KB, 172 views)
IMG_1070.jpg (93.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 05-03-16, 10:01 AM
texaspandj

Let the record show that seypat said he would be there and he was. What a man, what a man, what a very good man.
Old 05-03-16, 11:53 AM
texaspandj

@VeniceColby that is a 1989 54cm Ironman master.I can't tell if the forks are original. 54 cm is my size and I always wanted a single speed. Does the front wheel match the rear?

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-03-16 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 12:51 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It looks like the fork was sprayed while on the bike. You can see the paint on the brake components. I think I see the Shimano band on the front hub. That back wheel doesn't look original. Solid nutted axle. No quick release.
Old 05-03-16, 07:13 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Bummer about the Allez Colby , that had to hurt . Hey is that Venice Ca. or Venice I tal ? If you decide to go with #3 I have some stuff you would need to go that way . By the way what is that rear wheel on your Ironman? Mark .

Last edited by markwesti; 05-04-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 07:23 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Here is the '87 'Miami Vice' that I just brought home. I got it for a very good price. It is pretty ugly as it sits. I will post another picture of it when I finish the makeover.

Attached Images
IMG_0938.jpg (97.6 KB, 270 views)
Old 05-03-16, 07:30 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by rjhammett
Here is the '87 'Miami Vice' that I just brought home. I got it for a very good price. It is pretty ugly as it sits. I will post another picture of it when I finish the makeover.

More promising than ugly. Congratulations, hoping to see your new version soon.
Old 05-03-16, 07:48 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Here is it's mate. This one is in near perfect condition. Hopefully, I can get my new one close.

Attached Images
IMG_0890.jpg (103.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-03-16, 07:53 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Here is it's mate. This one is in near perfect condition. Hopefully, I can get my new one close.

Where do you find those yellow saddles?

Pretty bike, a favorite color(s).

J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.