Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Does a single speed need a derailleur?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 03:10 PM
vincentc777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a bike for a family member online and am trying to assemble. It is a 20" single speed, but it came with a derailleur. Do I really need this? It doesn't seem to fit very well in the place it's supposed to go, and I'm not sure about threading it, and it's one more thing that could get damaged. When I was a kid I don't think my bikes had this. Can I skip this piece of the assembly? Thanks.
Old 06-10-21, 03:34 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
A rear derailleur is needed for shifting gears on a multi-sprocket freewheel or cassette and to maintain tension on the chain. It is not needed on a singlepeed, unless the rear dropouts are vertical, and don’t allow for chain adjustment. It is probably just a mistake made at the factory when it was boxed.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-10-21, 03:50 PM
vincentc777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, TejanoTrackie. Based on your explanation about the rear dropouts and needing some way to adjust the chain, it seems I might need it. This bike does not have vertical dropouts -- it really doesn't have any dropouts. It's actually a 20" adult tricycle for an older person who can't risk any falls due to weak bones. The 2 axles just sit in tubes. So there really is no way to adjust the chain without the derailleur. It looks like I need it. The assembly instructions are not very good so I'm struggling a bit. Might take it to a bike shop for this part. Thanks again for your detailed reply -- I appreciate it!
Old 06-10-21, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentc777
Thank you, TejanoTrackie. Based on your explanation about the rear dropouts and needing some way to adjust the chain, it seems I might need it. This bike does not have vertical dropouts -- it really doesn't have any dropouts. It's actually a 20" adult tricycle for an older person who can't risk any falls due to weak bones. The 2 axles just sit in tubes. So there really is no way to adjust the chain without the derailleur. It looks like I need it. The assembly instructions are not very good so I'm struggling a bit. Might take it to a bike shop for this part. Thanks again for your detailed reply -- I appreciate it!
You might consider returning that trike, they can be quite dangerous and the cheap ones online are certainly the worse offenders but really any upright trike has the same instability issues. A really narrow width and a short wheelbase makes it easy to get onto two wheels.

A recumbent will be much safer, more expensive but less chance of falling being lower to the ground and having a longer wheelbase.
Old 06-11-21, 05:26 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
If the axles "just sit in tubes" and you cannot identify any bearings, it will be hard work and very unsatisfactory to ride. It sounds like the "derailleur" is an ad hoc way of tensioning the chain. If you can get the chain the right length using patience and possibly a half link, you may not need it.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 06-11-21, 06:06 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentc777
Please tell us the exact model you purchased so that we can look it up online. That way we can have an intelligent conversation rather than speculating about what you do or don't have. Safety is paramount and I'd hate to give advice only to find out it was wrong because I misunderstood the situation.

Even cheap bikes are going to have bearings and such. So at this point we're really just guessing.
Likes For TugaDude: