Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

NBC Gold Cycling Pass is going to Peacock Premium

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

NBC Gold Cycling Pass is going to Peacock Premium

Old 06-28-21, 08:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You people know you can DVR the NBCSN feed if that is all you want. Don't you?

Though I suppose maybe some don't have NBCSN as part of their regular TV package, but I've never not had a TV package that didn't have it and I wasn't even looking for that.
Old 06-28-21, 09:23 AM
lytleric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Though I suppose maybe some don't have NBCSN as part of their regular TV package, but I've never not had a TV package that didn't have it and I wasn't even looking for that.
Didn't know that, but good idea. I don't own a DVR, but will see I can figure out how to get Roku to record.

Also, I don't have any TV package, which is why I liked the NBCSN Cycling pass -- it gave me cycling content without any TV service requirement.
Old 06-28-21, 09:47 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by lytleric
Didn't know that, but good idea. I don't own a DVR, but will see I can figure out how to get Roku to record.

Also, I don't have any TV package, which is why I liked the NBCSN Cycling pass -- it gave me cycling content without any TV service requirement.
The Peacock app is great gotta say. I used to buy that pass too. For 50 bucks. This is 5!

I switch between both feeds. The one has no commercials but the guys are boring to me. The other feed has way too many commercials but then goes commercial free for the last 10 or 15 kms and that has Bob and Phil so that’s more fun to finish with.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 06-29-21, 07:26 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts

That's so 2010.
Old 06-29-21, 07:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by slcbob
That's so 2010.
The term re-wind is even more out of date, but I hear that used every day.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-29-21, 02:43 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Possibly this has been covered, skimming previous posts I found some info but not all. I subscribed to Peacock Premium last week as recommended by a cycling website. First week free, $4.99 a month after. I have a Samsung Smart TV (abt a year old) and it now carries the Peacock App. No need for Roku, Firestick, whatever. I stream it, I have no cable, no satellite When TDF is live, you have two choices- one is the NBCSN, the other is France TV Sport with Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan as commentators. This version has no adverts, but has special interest and rider interviews in a picture-in-picture every so often, and distance, speed, Temps, stats etc in a banner. Great video quality, full screen. May be a bit dry for American tastes, but I'm already so used to it I prefer it.

Replays are available within a couple of hours, but only the France TV Gerranns/McCrossan version. There is also an extended highlight reel daily, running ~ 30 minutes in length, as well as a "Finishes" reel and "Crashes". It appears that they are building an archive of past races as well, minimal as yet.

I was surprised at how easy the whole thing was to do, and the quality. So if someone is going through hoops or hasn't been able to see anything but highlights, may be an option
Old 06-29-21, 02:56 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
The term re-wind is even more out of date, but I hear that used every day.
Many commercials still tell you to "dial" a phone number. Many people younger than a certain age would have no clue how to use a dial telephone.
Old 06-29-21, 08:46 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
A real treat is watchin NBCSN for the finish, then going to Peacock and listen to the alternative commentary for the finish. Today's stage was a great example of that. The World Feed talked about Brent van Moer's teammates trying to slow and block the sprinters team as much as possible was something I think Phil and Roll missed which in part kept him from getting caught soon.

But how about Mark Cavendish? This cements him as a legend. Welcome back Manx Missile.

I wish Peacock would show both commentaries.
Likes For gpsblake:
Old 07-01-21, 06:51 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I've been watching/listening to the GCN coverage in the morning while at work (I wouldn't say I have been working) and record the NBCSN coverage on Direct TV and watch that in the evening. I prefer the American coverage slightly more than the GCN feed, I'm guessing because I've been watching le Tour for over 20 years. From OLN to Versus to NBC to NBCSN and now wherever it falls, I'll still watch it.
Old 07-02-21, 11:10 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
For whatever reason the NBC version of last night's stage was available for replay. Now I'm not sure what I like better. I'm used to the NBC broadcast, but there are a ton of commercials to skip over.
Old 07-02-21, 11:36 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Sorry if previously mentioned, but you get Peacock free if a Comcast subscriber.
Old 07-02-21, 08:07 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

I think Peacock is either listening to people or just got it set up right, but both the International Feed and the NBCSN feeds are now on Peacock. The NBCSN feed does have the commercials though.
Old 07-05-21, 05:48 AM
lytleric

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
I think Peacock is either listening to people or just got it set up right, but both the International Feed and the NBCSN feeds are now on Peacock. The NBCSN feed does have the commercials though.
So is the NBCSN feed available to replay on Peacock after it airs? Or is it only available live?
Old 07-05-21, 08:13 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
These have likely been covered, but in case:

Originally Posted by bmcer
One major fly in the ointment. Peacock apparently doesn't support Samsung TV's without buying a Roku, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, or the like.
Peacock started supporting Samsung TVs very recently. I've been able to watch live for $5 per month, both France TV/World Feed and NBCSN, no Roku, etc. needed.

Originally Posted by lytleric
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch replays of the NBCSN feed? With the NBC Cycling Pass, I used to be able to watch the replays when I could find the time. I've subscribed to Peacock, and I can view the replays, but was surprised to find out (as previously mentioned) it is not Phil and Bob (or Paul, Christian, and Chris). So if I want to watch with Phil and Bob as I've grown accustomed to and fond of, is my only option to watch it live? Seems like a bum deal if that's case. Why'd NBC have to ruin a good thing? I hope I'm wrong.
Peacock has made the NBCSN feed (and World Feed) available for replay. The NBCSN replays are from Stage 5 to current. HTH
Old 07-06-21, 01:02 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 64 Posts
I have listened to Anthony for years and it takes some time to get use to his style. Simon is a chatter box never stopping. He repeats Anthony and then adds to it. Also maybe a fine racer but not a voice for announcing.
No disrespect just how I fell about it.
Ed

Last edited by EddyR; 07-07-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 10:39 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

I hope Peacock can add the Vuelta to the package later this year. I know it would be the Eurosport version of it, but still would be nice.
Old 07-16-21, 09:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by gpsblake
I hope Peacock can add the Vuelta to the package later this year. I know it would be the Eurosport version of it, but still would be nice.
If NBC or NBCSN broadcasts any cycling event why wouldn't it be on Peacock. Isn't Peacock mostly just a streaming service for stuff that NBC and NBCSN broadcasts?

The bigger question for me is whether they will continue to do the commercial free stream as was the draw to the NBC Gold Cycling Pass. My online chat with Peacock's CSR's on the chat only showed me that they have no idea about what cycling is other than someone on a bike.

NBC has the exclusive USA broadcast rights for the 2021 Vuelta, so it's fairly certain thing that well see the Vuelta through something via NBC.
Old 07-16-21, 04:41 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
I think their contract with ASO runs into 2022. Though maybe just through this year. Either way, it's going to be interesting in 2023 or 2022 to see what options we've got.

I'm thrilled with $25 early adopter for a year of GCN and $5/month for VPN. I watch an NBC highlight through steephill.tv every now and then for old time's sake but it's much better coverage with GCN. Caveat: I can understand Sean Kelly and Brian Smith. That's table stakes to a quality experience.
Likes For slcbob: