Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Gen 3 Stages Power Meter for Mountain Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 05:10 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I saw that Stages Power Meter has a left sided crank mountain bike power meter for very cheap.

https://store.stagescycling.com/STAG...M8000?length=3

I've read that some people have had issues with Stages power meters. However, I'm tempted by the price. Do you think I should take my chances when it is $200? Or should I avoid Stages? Thanks!
Old 07-16-21, 11:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Holy cow, that is cheap. No 175's, though.

I think this should work with any Shimano Hollowtech II MTB cranks. You still need to have or buy the right side.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-25-21, 12:48 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You still need to have or buy the right side.
No, these are intended to be only on the left side. Measuring only on one side has a lot of disadvantages, but makes the system less expensive. There's a good discussion of the pros and cons here: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/1416/...ter-need-to-be
Old 07-25-21, 04:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I can see how I wrote it unclearly.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-25-21, 08:45 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I bought one of their 105 5800s last week for my road bike for $199, don't have it yet. You just have to keep an eye on their closeout section for a deal to pop up. The downsides to single side power meter don't really matter for a normal human. What issues are you worried about? The gen 3 fixed the few I know of. Look up some reviews from Shane Miller and DC Rainmaker.
Old 07-25-21, 09:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Hmmm...

I like my 180mm cranks. But finding a M8000 or M9000 single could be a pain. There is a battered M8000, 180mm on E-Bay.

But, there is also the Q-Factor which I prefer to minimize.
Old 12-03-21, 06:47 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The reason I was able to buy the left-sided crank power meter for only $200 is because it was the M8000, not the current M8100. That being said, it works well on my mountain bike with my already existing Hollowtech II crankset (Shimano FC-M625 to be precise). At some point in the future, I'd like to upgrade my mountain bike. Is there any reason the M8000 left sided power meter wouldn't work with any other Hollowtech cranksets? Thanks
Old 12-03-21, 03:20 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Not that I know of. I'm thinking about swapping my stages road 5800 crank arm over to my hardtail with a SLX crankset and vice versa for the winter. The road bike is staying on my smart trainer all winter anyway and I'm curious how my power differs on the mtn bike.
Old 12-04-21, 08:35 PM
Dirty Dude
ಠ_ಠ

Bikes: '21 Giant Contend AR1, '11 Motobecane Record, '98 Specialized FSR Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got one of their clearance ($200) Shimano 105 5800 series power meters in August and the firmware was set to the wrong crank arm length(170 when it should have been 175) out of the box. It's trivial to fix via the Stages Power app, but only through an undocumented secret menu that you have to go through customer service to get the procedure for. The problem there is that their customer service didn't get back to me for three weeks. It's not widely discussed on the 'net either, but I was able to find the procedure on an obscure forum post and fix it myself weeks before hearing back from Stages. I was having problems with some of their sensors and an L10 Dash as well and they told me buying one of their more expensive computers would fix the problem(then why does the L10 even exist?). I bought a Garmin 520+ instead (it's nice) and the sensors still didn't work properly, so the advice to buy their L50 or whatever was just them trying to get me to throw good money after bad.

After all that I bought a second 5800 power meter (it was setup properly out of the box) and both are working well at this point, but the experience has convinced me that Stages has garbage customer service and only really knows how to make power meters. That is the only product I would still consider buying from them and even then, only on price.