Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

NYS ('upstate', Catskills, etc) map source..

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 02:57 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good source for paper maps, county or maybe region scale, that are decent for using on a bike? Yeah, yeah, everything is on the internet/phone, there's an app, etc etc. I guess I'm a Luddite. I like paper maps, just not sure where to find them at a scale that's good for cycling these days..
thx!
Old 08-10-21, 05:38 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a (paper) map junkie too. They're increasingly rare. The New York-New Jersey Trail Conference prepares superb maps albeit on Tyvek, not paper. Specific to your inquiry, check out the Catskill Trails Maps set.

What I didn't find — it may be there, but I didn't find it — an overview of all the maps. For example, there's a slight albeit incomplete overlap at the south of the Catskill set with the Shawangunk set. If I didn't know to look for it, it's not apparent from the website. Proof is left to the student.

My experience with the Trail Conference maps is mostly on the Shawangunks trails. Though these maps are produced for hikers, I didn't find the scale or size to be frustrating - on trails. Contrasting: on roads, there can be quite a bit of folding and re-folding.

Worth adding: Tyvek does well in rain, but the aforementioned folding and refolding does produce some noticeable wear.
Likes For arbee:
Old 08-10-21, 05:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
National Geograpic has a Catskill Park map. Delorme puts out a very detailed NY State Atlas. What you really want is an old fashioned gas station map like what Mobil put out. Rand Mcnally puts out a NY State Map in paper https://store.randmcnally.com/easy-t...state-map.html
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-10-21, 07:05 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Yeah... I used to have a Delaware Country map in my car- no idea where it even came from- but it was great. It had EVERY little road on it... Of course it's long gone- and I live at the corner of 3 counties, so it would only work if I rode in one direction!
Old 08-11-21, 09:01 AM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have some paper maps to give if you don't mind these being dated from the 90's.

Jimapco and The Map Source are still around. A MAPtech I can now find only offers nautical charts.

Here are some links:

Jimapco: https://www.jimapco.com/

The Map Source: https://themapsource.com/

Here are the paper maps I have: "New York Plus Roads & Recreation", "Greater Capital Region of New York State", "Finger Lakes Region of New York State" and "Western Region of New York State".
Old 08-11-21, 05:12 PM
ehcoplex 

I got a wild hair and went on a search for the Del Co map I knew had to be around somewhere.... and found it in a crate of car stuff! It must have been locally produced (says 2010 on it), paid for by diner-placemat-style ads around it for local businesses. But its a perfect size/scale- and even has long driveways on it! (some topo info would be nice, too, but I think the safe thing here is to assume a hill-climb, or 2, or 3, on any and every ride, unless following a river....)
Seems like the county-level maps are the way to go- the state/region ones leave too much out and are oriented for driving a car....
Thanks for the links- I think a couple more county maps from one or the other and I'll be covered!