Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Braking For Animals

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Braking For Animals

Old 08-31-21, 03:28 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I find that a loud hiss usually gets the squirrel to dive off the road right away.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 08-31-21, 04:02 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
More recent. 2016. Forest Service cop was bombing a descent, came around a corner and apparently hit a grizzly in the trail. Bear attacks and kills him.

Officials: West Glacier Cyclist Collided with Bear Before Fatal Attack - Flathead Beacon

From a later story about the incident:

"According to the report, Treat was mountain biking with a friend on the “Outer Trail” of the Green Gate Trails in the Flathead National Forest. Between 1:30 and 2 p.m., Treat collided with a grizzly bear with his bike at a high rate of speed after rounding a blind curve on the trail.

Treat had access to the trails system from his house and was reported to jog the trails with his wife almost every morning. Treat mountain biked on the trails four to six times a week. Treat’s wife, Somer, described him as competitive and said he often tried to beat his previous times as he traveled the route.

Treat was estimated to be traveling at about 20-25 miles per hour, giving him only 1-2 seconds after rounding the corner to see the bear. The investigation found no signs of skidding or evasive steering, indicating Treat did not immediately see the bear and hit him at full speed.

The collision hurtled Treat into and then over the handlebars of his bike and either onto or over the bear. The investigation indicated the impact caused Treat to break both of his wrists and his left scapula as he tried to break his fall with his hands.

The riding companion was reportedly 20 to 25 yards behind Treat when the incident occurred. The companion reported hearing the impact and heard the bear vocalize and make a sound “like it was hurt.”

The companion rode around the curve and saw the bear standing over Treat, who was laying on the trail. The bear was described as “very big, brownish-black in color, lighter than black” with its hair “bristled up.” The companion reported waiting about 30 seconds as he tried to figure out what to do. Neither Treat nor his companion had bear spray, firearms or cellphones with them.

The companion said the bear was “intent and focused on Mr. Treat,” and did not turn to look at the companion when he came into sight. The companion decided to turn around and head back up the trail the way they came to seek help because he did not feel comfortable trying to get the bear off of Treat."
Yeah, but mountain biking in the woods in Grizzly country so….
Old 08-31-21, 04:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Yeah, but mountain biking in the woods in Grizzly country so….
Just need to exercise some restraint/caution. That first photo I posted was taken on a Forest Service road in the far NW portion of Montana. Had a day off while touring and rode up looking for critters. I kept my head on a swivel because there are blacks and grizzlies up there. Gave up after a while and started to head back to camp. Then something told me to not be so impatient, so I stopped and hung out. Not 5 minutes later he walked out of the forest. Didn’t even notice me. I let out a loud “Yessss!” That caused him to stop and check me out, which gave me time to get out and fire up my camera. He wandered off after a minute or so. When I got back to camp the host told me he and his girlfriend had driven up a side road that morning and saw a lion. Jumped down from some rocks and ran in front of their truck for a bit. He said it was the third one he’d seen that year, and it was only late June.
Old 08-31-21, 05:33 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Obviously, individual situations are different. Sometimes one's reactions happen before they can be overridden. Sometimes an event takes place before one can react. My youngest sister was walking six weeks ago and saw a frog that was snagged on some trash on the edge of a drainage ditch. She started down to free the frog, it was alive. When she slipped and fell, she broke both wrist bones in her right arm. The breaks were severe and required surgery. Would she try to help in that same situation? The point is, it's not the same situation.

As stated above, awareness and being prepared is key to making snap judgments To me, that means eliminate, as much as you can, the unexpected. Training and experience make for better results in that process, No guarantees, there is way more out of our control than in it.
Old 08-31-21, 08:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
squirrels and rabbit, hold your line. I doubt you could hit a squirrel if you tried. but if you evade your chances increase
I had a squirrel try to jump through my front wheel on a road bike. Grey squirrel. I held my line, he changed his mind at the last second. Got halfway through the wheel. I looked for a soft spot on the concrete to land. I pushed my weight all the way back, like descending a steep trail on an ATB. Squirrel made two entire revolutions through my fork past the caliper brakes and got slung out a few feet ahead of me, and I was STILL UPRIGHT! He was badly kinked up and couldn't navigate very well and I wasn't balanced enough to maneuver so I ran dead over the beast with both wheels. What a bad day for that little guy. He then limped, scooted over to a big oak and tried to climb it with little success. I kept riding with new found religion.
Old 08-31-21, 10:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm amazed at the number of people I see bicycling at high speed on trails where there are very poor sight lines and/or blind corners. You never know what's around a blind corner thus it's best to slow down a lot before entering one.

Where I am the greatest hazard on the trails are der that graze in the hollows on t he sides of the trail and then bolt just as you're about to pass them. I've come within a half second of hitting one or being hit by one. Dusk seems to be a particularly bad time to be riding at speed as that's when the deer around here are more active.

Cheers
Old 09-01-21, 06:53 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'm amazed at the number of people I see bicycling at high speed on trails where there are very poor sight lines and/or blind corners. You never know what's around a blind corner thus it's best to slow down a lot before entering one.

Where I am the greatest hazard on the trails are der that graze in the hollows on t he sides of the trail and then bolt just as you're about to pass them. I've come within a half second of hitting one or being hit by one. Dusk seems to be a particularly bad time to be riding at speed as that's when the deer around here are more active.

Cheers
At bicycle speeds I wouldn't worry much about deer, Just avoid the pointy parts. I've hit 2 with motorcycles and it was ugly both times. Neither deer nor motorcycle survived.
Old 09-02-21, 03:48 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
At bicycle speeds I wouldn't worry much about deer, Just avoid the pointy parts.
At 35-40 mph I shouldn’t worry about broadsiding a deer? Ok.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-02-21 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-02-21, 04:07 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 329 Posts
Back before LED lights were affordable, I rode a gravel road using ambient light. One morning I caught sight of a white stripe about 5 feet ahead… not enough time to do anything.. I got a little bit of the spray on my back, but it wasn’t noticeable by the next day.

Anyone flatted by a porcupine?
Old 09-02-21, 07:41 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Squirrels can do some serious damage. This pic has been floating around for a while. Google "squirrel in bike wheel" for more...

This is one example of why low spoke count wheels are not always the best option. They are less visible to squirrels and allow greater penetration before getting trapped.

When I commuted to work, I preconditioned my response by repeating the mantra "Don't swerve for squirrels" over and over. The critters freak me out when I see them contemplating which way to run.
Old 09-02-21, 07:43 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I bet you spend more time closer to 20mph than 40.
Old 09-02-21, 08:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I don't know how he didn't get squished, but no animals were harmed in the making of this video from my commute three years ago.

Old 09-02-21, 09:34 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I bet you spend more time closer to 20mph than 40.
But I have done a lot of loaded touring the mountains of Montana (among other places), where deer like to hang out in the road. During long descents I am easily doing 35 mph in spots. Last time I descended Thompson Pass I came around a curve and encountered a half dozen of them. Fortunately, it was raining so I was keeping the speed down. Lots of them here in PA as well. Nearly slammed into one going about 30 while descending from Cowans Gap State Park. Thing bolted out of the brush. Crossed in front of me at about 10'. When I think there is a potential for deer, I periodically yell out "Yo, deer!" to let them know I am coming.

Not everyone rides like you think the average person does. Maybe learn from those of us who have had to deal with deer, elk, coyotes, buffalo, free range cattle and even bears. (Have yet to encounter a moose in the road, knock on wood.)
Old 09-02-21, 12:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I don't know how he didn't get squished, but no animals were harmed in the making of this video from my commute three years ago.

https://youtu.be/boQMWXuphRo

I've had closer calls with squirrels and chipmunks, but not on video
Old 09-02-21, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

But I have done a lot of loaded touring the mountains of Montana (among other places), where deer like to hang out in the road. During long descents I am easily doing 35 mph in spots. Last time I descended Thompson Pass I came around a curve and encountered a half dozen of them. Fortunately, it was raining so I was keeping the speed down. Lots of them here in PA as well. Nearly slammed into one going about 30 while descending from Cowans Gap State Park. Thing bolted out of the brush. Crossed in front of me at about 10'. When I think there is a potential for deer, I periodically yell out "Yo, deer!" to let them know I am coming.

Not everyone rides like you think the average person does. Maybe learn from those of us who have had to deal with deer, elk, coyotes, buffalo, free range cattle and even bears. (Have yet to encounter a moose in the road, knock on wood.)

He's right but he's wrong. Obviously, your typical speed is a lot less than 35 mph, but the speeds in the places where you actually have to worry about such things are often that high. In the flat in the low 20s you and/or the deer will probably have plenty of time to get out of each other's way. That's the situation when I've had close encounters with deer, and it isn't even slightly scary.

Moose would probably be a different story, they don't back down and frequently do the opposite. Given their predilection for killing other moose at the risk of their own lives, I really don't want to learn first-hand how they relate to a bicyclist.

I deliberately slow on hills if I'm going over 35 as I don't trust my feeble old colorblind eyes to pick up road obstacles any faster than that.
Old 09-02-21, 12:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

On the positive side, at that speed you probably won't experience any regrets.
Old 09-02-21, 04:51 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In the flat in the low 20s you and/or the deer will probably have plenty of time to get out of each other's way.
Unfortunately, apart from blind turns that do occur on the flats as well, deer have a bad habit of not necessary escaping in the correct direction. I've had a few very close calls with deer, both on a bike and in a car, when deer which were hidden from the view on the roadside among the trees, which were completely out of harms way, became spooked by car / bike and suddenly jumped not inside the forest but on the road - right in front of the approaching vehicle. Somehow I doubt that crashing at 20 mph is too much fun... Close by deer smell like cows, ask me how do I know this...
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 09-03-21, 02:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Unfortunately, apart from blind turns that do occur on the flats as well, deer have a bad habit of not necessary escaping in the correct direction. I've had a few very close calls with deer, both on a bike and in a car, when deer which were hidden from the view on the roadside among the trees, which were completely out of harms way, became spooked by car / bike and suddenly jumped not inside the forest but on the road - right in front of the approaching vehicle. Somehow I doubt that crashing at 20 mph is too much fun... Close by deer smell like cows, ask me how do I know this...

I've had some close passes with deer on the bike path I ride after work, but they get the idea pretty fast, and we haven't gotten closer than 10 feet. Did you have a headlight on your bike? Just asking because that deer in headlights thing isn't just a cliche, but I don't know if bike lights have that effect on them.
Old 09-06-21, 05:37 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Did you have a headlight on your bike?
No, I did not. The only common factor I can think about was that in all those cases they were in groups - 4-5 (may be more) together. May be in case one deer in a group gets spooked and runs, others immediately just start to run in whatever direction they were facing at that moment even though they still have no idea where the danger is coming from and what it is? Just some instinct kicks in that tells them that it is usually better to run somewhere, anywhere than to stand still and get caught by a predator?
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 09-06-21, 06:03 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Around here, VT, in June when the does drop their fawns, they kick last year's fawns out. This yearlings are dumber than dumb. They will start across the road, hesitate, go back, get cornered by a fence, etc. It is a miracle any of them make it to hunting season. Everything seems to get activated at the change of seasons. Right now, deer, turkeys, and woodchucks, rarely sighted during the Summer, are all over.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-07-21, 09:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Pratt
Around here, VT, in June when the does drop their fawns, they kick last year's fawns out. This yearlings are dumber than dumb. They will start across the road, hesitate, go back, get cornered by a fence, etc. It is a miracle any of them make it to hunting season. Everything seems to get activated at the change of seasons. Right now, deer, turkeys, and woodchucks, rarely sighted during the Summer, are all over.

My funniest encounter on a bike path ever was with an aggressive woodchuck. It tried to charge me making an absurd hissing sound. It only got close to me because I at first thought it might be a skunk and was preparing a U-turn alternative.
Old 09-17-21, 08:11 AM
kaseyriot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
would sacrifice myself for an animal any day haha
Old 09-18-21, 12:43 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
This is one example of why low spoke count wheels are not always the best option. They are less visible to squirrels and allow greater penetration before getting trapped.

When I commuted to work, I preconditioned my response by repeating the mantra "Don't swerve for squirrels" over and over. The critters freak me out when I see them contemplating which way to run.
was out riding with a friend when a squirrel runs into the road in front of us. I’ve seen that pic of the dead squirrel and the broken fork, so I hit the brakes, the squirrel passes in front of me and launches itself through my buddy's rear wheel. Lucky for the squirrel it was a Campag G3 wheel with large gaps between the spoke triplets. He leaps through a gap and an ascending spoke launched him ~ 5 ft into the air. He hit the ground and scampers off, apparently unhurt. We got a laugh and there’s a squirrel out there who’s now a lifelong Campag fan.
Old 09-25-21, 01:10 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts

Aim for the spine.
Old 09-27-21, 10:00 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I see quite a bit of wildlife on my commute, especially in Autumn and Winter when I'm more likely to be riding as the sun rises or sets. Fortunately there are no bears in the UK, but I see quite a few rabbits and deer, as well as foxes, badgers, and pheasants - they're all of a size that I'd try to avoid rather than running them over.

I find the behaviour of rabbits quite interesting - when you come towards them in a car they run back and forth across the road in utter panic, and frequently go under the car, whereas approaching them on a bike they simply hop into the verge in a straight line and watch as I ride by. Perhaps it's the two headlights on the car that confuses and panics them?

Deer tend to just loiter in the road, and there's one track in particular on the route to work where I've come around a bend a few times and seen a deer just ten feet in front of me. They normally just jump the hedge there straight into a field - it's quite a sight to see them go from motionless to huge jump in a second - but on occasion they've gone galloping down the track in front of me.

Foxes and badgers I usually see quite a few yards ahead as they amble along the roadside paying me little or no attention, and they rarely cause a problem, although I had a fox run in front of me last year, prompting some hard braking.

I think pheasants are amongst the worst - they're often in the road in flocks and run around the road in panic, some take off and fly past at low level, some flap into the hedges beside the road, and some just keep running in front of you. It's a case of slowing right down until they're all out of the way. They act in the same way whether you're in a car or on the bike, and pheasant is far and away the commonest roadkill I see.

One other bird I see on the road is peacocks - a local estate has them, and they quite often find their way onto the lanes around the estate. The peahens are fine, and quite predictable in that they tend to run for cover in the nearest hedge, but the cocks can be quite aggressive when defending their hens, and will turn and try to face you down. It's a case of slow down and ride around, not getting between the peacock and the peahens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.