Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bitten by Tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bitten by Tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 06:31 PM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
1000 mile/flat

Cross country I get a flat every 1000 miles. Although in one nasty state that sweeps all road glass debree etc to the shoulder I got 5 flats in a hundred miles. Sealant is only good for very small round puntures, other than that it doesn't stop glass etc. And will cause a tire patch to leak. Have had no experience with tubeless tires.
Old 12-30-19, 06:52 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I don't get along with spoke wheels because in spite of the rubber lining coating the heads of the spoke bolts on the interior of the wheel, and no matter how carefully I installed the rubber lining and the inner-tube, every few weeks I would get a pin-hole leak where the inner-tube meets the interior of the wheel. "Why don't you try a better rim band?" I am told. I sent away on ebay for some solid magnesium wheels and that was the end of my surprise pin-hole leaks. The wheels cost almost as much as the bike but I am sure I would in a few years spend more on replacement inner-tubes when the patches inexorably go to hell on me.
Old 12-30-19, 07:26 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
I don't get along with spoke wheels because in spite of the rubber lining coating the heads of the spoke bolts on the interior of the wheel, and no matter how carefully I installed the rubber lining and the inner-tube, every few weeks I would get a pin-hole leak where the inner-tube meets the interior of the wheel. "Why don't you try a better rim band?" I am told. I sent away on ebay for some solid magnesium wheels and that was the end of my surprise pin-hole leaks. The wheels cost almost as much as the bike but I am sure I would in a few years spend more on replacement inner-tubes when the patches inexorably go to hell on me.
I guess that's one fix for cheap rim strips.

Most people just use a better quality rim strip, and never have an issue like your's again.
Old 12-30-19, 08:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I guess that's one fix for cheap rim strips.

Most people just use a better quality rim strip, and never have an issue like your's again.
+1 I have zero issues with $6 Velox cloth strips. Been using them for decades and some have lasted me more than a decade. Others have been pulled off, a new rim laced on and the old strip back on the new rim. Yeah, $12/bike is a lot for something that doesn't actually "do" anything, but I"ll live with it.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-30-19, 08:23 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 I have zero issues with $6 Velox cloth strips. Been using them for decades and some have lasted me more than a decade. Others have been pulled off, a new rim laced on and the old strip back on the new rim. Yeah, $12/bike is a lot for something that doesn't actually "do" anything, but I"ll live with it.

Ben
It sounds like he was using single wall rims, and rubber rim strips. I'm not surprised he was having issues.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-01-20, 08:32 AM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I believe you, but if this is a 99% chance of a cure, I'll take the much closer to 100% cure even if the risk of more flat tires from spoke becomes a once every two decades event. I hate flat tires disrupting my life more than most people do.
Old 01-01-20, 03:22 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I keep my flat kit in a water bottle. The bike looks better that way, and it's pretty convenient. Not great in the summer, sometimes I'll leave it behind to be able to carry more water. When I used to ride with tubes, I'd be nervous the rest of a ride after getting a flat, I'd use my one tube and feel naked and exposed without another spare. Now that I get about one flat per year on average, it just doesn't bother me at all not to have my flat kit. I know a lot of people will think that's foolish, but I like having less stress, especially when it's justified.
Specialized makes a half bottle they call a keg or cask or something. I have a few of them. Love them. I stuff each with the right tube, inflator, tool, levers and CO2 and just throw it into the back bottle cage on whatever bike i am riding. When it's super hot and I need another bottle I take it out and throw it in my jersey. Not as cumbersome as a full bottle and fits easily in the pocket.

They aren't for everyone but I definitely love mine and it seems similar to what you are doing.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 01-01-20, 03:25 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by masi61
What specific items should be in your tubeless flat kit? I was curious what kind of shop rag works best for mopping up wet sealant for a flatted tubeless tire out on the road. It seems you need to cleanly wipe away the latex sealant in order to fit a partly inflated butyl inner tube in there for a drama free roadside repair to get you home.

Or: is it equally effective to forgo the inner tube for your flatted tubeless tire and to plug it (with one of the available plug kits) then just refresh the sealant and then re-inflate with CO2?

I’m getting ready to start training on my used Dura Ace 7850 tubeless wheels that are going to be running Hutchinson Atom 23mm front and Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season 23mm rear tires with Stan’s or Effetto Mariposa (foaming) sealant. I had no issues mounting the rear and getting a good bead seal but the Atom front took forever for me to think up a plan to improve my chances of a good bead seal. I finally got it sealing and am about to road test this wheel and tire tubeless combo which looks it will be fast and grippy. I just hope I don’t lose pressure on a ride due not so much to a thorn or glass shard, but a bead air leak from the square tire bead somehow not lining up with the rim shelf momentarily causing a burp type flat or even just getting diffuse microbubbles to be allowed to somehow escape from the bead.
Levers, Tube, CO2. Just lke any other flat kit. Dump the sealant into the grass

Old 01-01-20, 03:28 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Absolutely. I was talking about a mountain bike area, and riding off paved roads.
I have used tire levers with tubeless tires for years, and never had an issue.
Agreed. I've never had any problems with any tubeless and have used levers on everything I have ever needed to. Unless someone is an animal that mashes everything with their ham-fist - this is a non issue.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 01-01-20, 03:36 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by 63rickert
I will bow to your cross experience but do use sealant in road tubulars and have used cross tires as road tires in winter. Just no problems for three years. Has sealed every flat. Flats prevented - no idea. Sealant goes in tube after first flat. Still lots of useful life on tires not in daily use. I do not use extenders. The only time a valve core became badly fouled simply holding it under running hot water cleared it.

Sealant needs pressure to direct it to the hole. Perhaps the problem is CX runs at such low pressure sealant does not know where to go. Or something else is different because of low pressure.
Yeah no telling. We use sealant extensively in tubulars once they flat and it usually works but mostly in tubeless tubulars (someone's head just exploded).

I won't say adding sealant to a tubular that has a tube never works but I have absolutely had it fail more often than not. On the cross ones we have them blow out at high pressure. Will hold at 25-30psi but blows out at 40 psi. In those cases we let it sit with the hole down at 20psi as long as we can before we take it to race pressure.

It used to be standard for old school racers to put sealant into their cross tubulars in advance. I've never had great results that way. On the road I would say it's more likely the smaller holes than the larger pressure.

Old 01-01-20, 03:42 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I loved and still love Velox but to be honest I don't even have any on hand. I can't tell you the last time I put some on. I bought a metric ton of high pressure strips in 20 and 23mm widths way back and still have them. Then for anything new that is tubeless ready they are all taped with tubeless tape even if they are going to be run with tubes.

The cheap single wall stuff I still use the cheap rubber strips. They still work and that's the customer they work well enough for. *shrug*.

Old 01-01-20, 04:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Specialized makes a half bottle they call a keg or cask or something. I have a few of them. Love them. I stuff each with the right tube, inflator, tool, levers and CO2 and just throw it into the back bottle cage on whatever bike i am riding. When it's super hot and I need another bottle I take it out and throw it in my jersey. Not as cumbersome as a full bottle and fits easily in the pocket.

They aren't for everyone but I definitely love mine and it seems similar to what you are doing.
Yeah, those work well in 1-bottle situations and they're readily available - Spec makes them for others, like LBSs and REI, who usually has them on-hand under their Co-op label. I used to use one until I got my Silca roll.
Old 01-02-20, 05:49 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Yeah no telling. We use sealant extensively in tubulars once they flat and it usually works but mostly in tubeless tubulars (someone's head just exploded).

I won't say adding sealant to a tubular that has a tube never works but I have absolutely had it fail more often than not. On the cross ones we have them blow out at high pressure. Will hold at 25-30psi but blows out at 40 psi. In those cases we let it sit with the hole down at 20psi as long as we can before we take it to race pressure.

It used to be standard for old school racers to put sealant into their cross tubulars in advance. I've never had great results that way. On the road I would say it's more likely the smaller holes than the larger pressure.
Agree with the smaller hole thesis. If the tire has cut, broken, or damaged casing threads then the tire needs to be opened up and booted. Sealant works on small holes. That it ever works even temporarily on big cuts is nice if it lets you finish the 45 minutes or gets you home but you don't trust it.
Old 01-02-20, 06:24 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I've been using tubeless for a while now on 2 bikes (a touring bike and a road bike) .... Let me run through a few steps (the way that I do it)

1. Use the proper tubeless rim tape .... and initially don't add too many layers of tape. On my latest wheels for my touring bike, (HED Belgium Plus) I have used a new rim tape especially made for the HED Belgium plus rims... Only 1 layer of tape is required ... on my other wheelset (also HED Belgium Plus), I used 2 layers of DT Swiss tape and find that it's a bit harder to mount tyres to the rims but still easy and I don't need to use tyre levers). Read the reviews on tubeless tyres on Wiggle, and read the forums .... many complain that they struggle to fit tyres to tubeless rims .... a lot of the problem is the rim tape (too many layers of rim tape or the incorrect rim tape).... hard to fit tyres are also hard to remove when you are on the road

If you are going to use tyre levers, get the IRC tubeless tyre levers (they are quality and can be used for normal clincher rims aswell)

2. Then, I remove the valve core and add 50ml of Orange Sealant (the regular version, and not the endurance version) .... re-install the valve core, spin the wheels a few times to spread the sealant and then pump the tyre with a track pump with the valve position at 12 O'clock so that the sealant lays on the opposite side of the valve. ...

That's it.... you are ready to ride. You don't need the sealant at first and the only reason we use sealant is for when you do get a puncture (you could ride thousands of miles before your first puncture) .... there is no need to use a compressor or airshot etc but you may find that your micro hand pump will not work and you will need to use the track pump. If the tyres struggle to inflate, you may need to use a CO2 cartidge

3. On the road: So ..... I'm riding along, and I get a puncture ... I stop, make sure that the puncture is on the bottom of the tyre and give the bike a few shakes (sealant is at the bottom where the hole is) .... If the sealant is squirting out, hold you finger over the hole until it seals (a few seconds) most times, the puncture will seal and you may need to add a bit more air to your tyre. If it does not seal, I use the Dynaplug Racer kit (takes 2 seconds to plug the hole)... sometimes you will get a puncture and not even realize that you had a puncture, as small holes seal almost immediately:

If all the air has been lost, and the tyre is completely flat and off the beads, you can add more sealant and pump the tyre with a CO2 cannister .... I use the Lezyne Control Drive with a 25 gram canister. (theres a lot more CO2 and I can control the amount) .You need to make sure that the valve is at the 12 O'clock position with the sealant pooled at the opposite side. There is no need to add more sealant as the sealant is only there in case of a puncture, and more sealant is only added for your next puncture
if the dynaplug and sealant don't plug the hole, you will need to add an inner tube .... then pump with the CO2

some sealants clog up with CO2 but many have said that the Orange sealant does not. If you use CO2, it is advisable to pump the tyre with the valve at the 12 O'clock position and the sealant at the opposite side as the initial temperature of the CO2 is very cold

There are a few types of Orange sealant .... I use the regular version as it plugs bigger holes (most bike shops here in Cambridge stock the endurance version, but I buy the regular off the internet):

here is a link showing the different Orange sealants:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1700/ ... 1823713349

there are many sealants on the market.... the Orange has worked well for me .... There is a new one by panaracer, and I will be watching reviews of it

top up sealant (30ml every 6-8 weeks) ... thats if you use the Orange regular sealant

It's that easy .... the orange sealant does not damage your frame, wipes off instanly with a damp rag. The sealant is only there for when you have a puncture .... A micro hand pump is useless for tubeless

all you need to carry on a long ride is a bit of Orange sealant, a spare innertube, a valve core remover, a Dynaplug Racer kit and CO2 (all of that fits in a small saddle bag or in one of your Jersey pockets).... that it .... easy!

I don't get many punctures (that I know of as many small punctures seal instantly without you knowing) .... in all the time that I have been using tubeless tyres, only once have I had to phone my wife to fetch me (I was using an IRC tubeless tyre and I rode over a broken beer bottle .... I had a big gash on the sidewall and never had a spare tyre)

Last edited by dim; 01-02-20 at 06:27 AM.
Likes For dim:
Old 01-02-20, 08:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

2. Then, I remove the valve core and add 50ml of Orange Sealant (the regular version, and not the endurance version) .... re-install the valve core, spin the wheels a few times to spread the sealant and then pump the tyre with a track pump with the valve position at 12 O'clock so that the sealant lays on the opposite side of the valve. ...
I will pump up my tire first after applying sealant, then spin to spread the sealant. My thought is...with air in the tire, the sealant will be directed where it needs to be due to the pressure.
Old 01-02-20, 08:40 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

Did you ever try super glue (cyano acrylate) rather than sealant? So far i have tried gluing tubes rather than patching. It appears to work with zero issues as long as you are careful getting the glue into the the hole, not "on" the hole.
Old 01-02-20, 09:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Cyclists can be split into two groups - those best served by airless tires and those best served by tubeless tires. Tubed tires are outdated and pointless for anyone not specifically looking to engage in retrogrouchery.
Old 01-02-20, 09:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
My experience as a shop employee, YMMV.
If you live in goathead territory or have roads strewn with glass, I think it makes sense. I get a flat roughly every 2500 miles, so 3 flats/year. So tubeless is not really worth the hassle for me. It's a personal choice. Realize that as a shop employee, you have a biased sample.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-02-20, 09:21 AM
WhyFi

Cyclists can be split into two groups - those best served by airless tires and those best served by tubeless tires. Tubed tires are outdated and pointless for anyone not specifically looking to engage in retrogrouchery.
Lol. I'll never go back to tubes, but even I'll admit that tubeless isn't for everyone. I have no idea how some people can have 2000+ mile intervals between punctures, but these people evidently exist. If I was one of those fortunate persons, I'd still be using tubes.
Old 01-02-20, 09:41 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lol. I'll never go back to tubes, but even I'll admit that tubeless isn't for everyone. I have no idea how some people can have 2000+ mile intervals between punctures, but these people evidently exist. If I was one of those fortunate persons, I'd still be using tubes.
I'd rarely go more than 1k miles without a thorn puncture, and in monsoon season I might get 1 or 2 after every heavy rainfall. in 2019 I had zero flats

My old Italian bike won't likely ever be tubeless, but every other bike will be tubeless eventually.
Old 01-02-20, 12:46 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'll never go back to tubes....ever. For me in my area tubeless is the best option. Goat heads are abundant and I can't remember the last time I've had a flat on tubeless that I actually had to change.
Old 01-02-20, 01:01 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Ditto on my end. Having not a single flat for the last couple of year until a few weeks ago. Although I did make a mess when putting in the tube due to not paying attention, still peeling sealant off my shoes and tights, lol did have me cursing more than my usual.

once I calmed down I was back to my usual tubeless happiness though.
Old 01-02-20, 01:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't run tubeless but do a lot of group rides. Some of us usually stop for the flats of others. Yup, total tubless PITA, been there, seen those, run tubes. Car tires =/= bike tires. I admit to carrying a spare tire and 2 tubes on every ride. Good loaners if nothing else. Besides, the spare tire makes changing a flat really, really quick on non-tubeless ready rims.
Old 01-02-20, 01:42 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't run tubeless but do a lot of group rides. Some of us usually stop for the flats of others. Yup, total tubless PITA, been there, seen those, run tubes.
It's something that's difficult, if not impossible, to judge second-hand, IMO. Done right, tubeless works much more often than not and it's usually imperceptible to the person running them, let alone to another rider. If you've been in the company of others for a handful of tubeless failures, you've undoubtedly been present for numerous successes that you never noticed. By the nature is the system, you (a non-user) will only experience the worst it has to offer, and that's not exactly a balanced view.

Even in the event of a failure, you have to ask why it failed. Sometimes it's just too big of a cut, but those are rare. More often, it seems that people are running sealant not suitable for road pressures, or have been lax with their maintenance (not enough sealant or stuff that's old and ineffective) - user error that can be mitigated with experience, in other words. So, again - did the system fail or did the user fail? Tough to say without intimate knowledge of what was used and how it was maintained.

Again, tubeless isn't perfect and it's no free lunch, but for many, it's a very sensible and very beneficial trade-off.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-02-20, 02:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's something that's difficult, if not impossible, to judge second-hand, IMO. Done right, tubeless works much more often than not and it's usually imperceptible to the person running them, let alone to another rider. If you've been in the company of others for a handful of tubeless failures, you've undoubtedly been present for numerous successes that you never noticed. By the nature is the system, you (a non-user) will only experience the worst it has to offer, and that's not exactly a balanced view.

Even in the event of a failure, you have to ask why it failed. Sometimes it's just too big of a cut, but those are rare. More often, it seems that people are running sealant not suitable for road pressures, or have been lax with their maintenance (not enough sealant or stuff that's old and ineffective) - user error that can be mitigated with experience, in other words. So, again - did the system fail or did the user fail? Tough to say without intimate knowledge of what was used and how it was maintained.

Again, tubeless isn't perfect and it's no free lunch, but for many, it's a very sensible and very beneficial trade-off.
Good points. Some were tire failures, others were old sealant issues. Which made me wonder - so one adds more sealant every how often, which adds more and more weight to the tire? And the old dried stuff against the tire's inner surface, what happens to that? You know, garden variety ignorance. But OTOH, I've never had a 1/2 hour flat stop. I'll admit to eventually riding away from that one, leaving other folks to watch the denouement..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.