Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 06:22 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Before a ride on a hot day, I rate my pre-existing thirst on a level of 1-10, and then take a corresponding number of gulps of water from the sink / hose.

Old 05-14-20, 06:27 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Thats how I plan on teaching my daughter. Trying to get the wife on board with the balance bike, she doesn’t think it’s necessary.
As I recall, Dad just pushed me down the driveway and let nature take it's course.
Old 05-14-20, 06:29 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Also, my first rides were gravel rides. We lived in a new housing development and the roads weren't finished yet.
Old 05-14-20, 06:49 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Had a new one this morning. Was approaching a stop sign with a police officer sitting across the intersection. His window was down, and I could see him starring at me. I came to a complete stop, but didn’t unclip, just balanced standing up for a second or two then proceeded to start moving forward. As soon as I started to move he turned on his lights. I immediately stopped again, and this time I unclipped and put my foot down. He started shaking his head in a “yes” motion and turned his lights off.
I didn’t realize unclipping was law? I came to a stop before I was going to proceed. It was 620 am no traffic at this particular intersection ever. I wonder if he would have chased me down if I didn’t unclip?
Old 05-14-20, 06:55 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,611 Times in 1,239 Posts
Had a new one this morning. Was approaching a stop sign with a police officer sitting across the intersection. His window was down, and I could see him starring at me. I came to a complete stop, but didn’t unclip, just balanced standing up for a second or two then proceeded to start moving forward. As soon as I started to move he turned on his lights. I immediately stopped again, and this time I unclipped and put my foot down. He started shaking his head in a “yes” motion and turned his lights off.
I didn’t realize unclipping was law? I came to a stop before I was going to proceed. It was 620 am no traffic at this particular intersection ever. I wonder if he would have chased me down if I didn’t unclip?
Sounds like he's just a jerk.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 05-14-20, 06:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
In my state (CA) for my entire life, I have seen motorcycle riders put a foot on the ground at stop signs, despite no vehicle code section that I know of requiring this. My guess is that they can get ticketed for not doing this. AFAIK, the only requirement at stop signs is to come to a complete stop.

If I were in your situation, I would be running my camera, so that if I got a ticket, I could probably get out of it if I brought video to court showing I came to a complete stop. YMMV in your state.
Old 05-14-20, 07:02 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I am an honest, sweetheart of a guy. I really wanted to be a bad man a little bit ago. I was picking up a stack of lumber for a raised plant bed, and two of the pieces weren't marked. "Oh, these are 2" x 8" x 10'," I told the cashier.

"Okay, thanks.... uh, what kind of wood are they? I don't know any of this stuff."

I soooooo wanted to say, "well, Douglas Fir..." which prolly would have been about 10 bucks each. Instead, I told the truth and paid close to 40 bucks each.
I've noticed Home Depot is very much on an honor system with their checkout system.
Old 05-14-20, 07:04 AM
bampilot06

In my state (CA) for my entire life, I have seen motorcycle riders put a foot on the ground at stop signs, despite no vehicle code section that I know of requiring this. My guess is that they can get ticketed for not doing this. AFAIK, the only requirement at stop signs is to come to a complete stop.

If I were in your situation, I would be running my camera, so that if I got a ticket, I could probably get out of it if I brought video to court showing I came to a complete stop. YMMV in your state.
I need to get a camera. It’s on the list.
Old 05-14-20, 07:07 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

I looked up some of the VA statutes, all they say is that you are required to come to a "full and complete stop". I can't find anything that requires you to put a foot down, but maybe that's how bampilot06's local PD interprets the statute?

I did see that cyclists and motorcyclists can treat red lights as stop signs, though

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.
Old 05-14-20, 07:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
**** him.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-14-20, 07:20 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

So it comes down to how honest his local traffic court is. If they follow the law, he likely gets off. But if he lives in Hazzard County, and Boss Hogg's cabin by the lake needs some new furniture, he's out of luck.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-14-20, 07:25 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
I looked up some of the VA statutes, all they say is that you are required to come to a "full and complete stop". I can't find anything that requires you to put a foot down, but maybe that's how bampilot06's local PD interprets the statute?

I did see that cyclists and motorcyclists can treat red lights as stop signs, though
I never understood the bit about waiting one or two complete cycles before it's okay to run the light. Like, if the lights are actually cycling, what's the frigging problem? Maybe this would apply to the odd left turn arrow? Not seeing too many other situations.
Old 05-14-20, 07:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Before a ride on a hot day, I rate my pre-existing thirst on a level of 1-10, and then take a corresponding number of gulps of water from the sink / hose.
It's more an art than a science.

Originally Posted by rjones28
Also, my first rides were gravel rides. We lived in a new housing development and the roads weren't finished yet.
We know. Paved roads were rare in the early days.
Old 05-14-20, 07:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
If there's a cop in sight, the foot goes down. The same goes to a kindly motorist waiving me through. No. You were there first, or you're to the right of me, follow the traffic laws as I'm supposed to.
Old 05-14-20, 07:33 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
I never understood the bit about waiting one or two complete cycles before it's okay to run the light. Like, if the lights are actually cycling, what's the frigging problem? Maybe this would apply to the odd left turn arrow? Not seeing too many other situations.
Could be left turn or even straight if the sensors are independent from the oncoming traffic. In other words, the on-coming traffic might get a green light but you don't if the sensors don't pick up the bicycle.
Old 05-14-20, 07:38 AM
WhyFi

Grrr - another last page lockout.
Old 05-14-20, 07:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Could be left turn or even straight if the sensors are independent from the oncoming traffic. In other words, the on-coming traffic might get a green light but you don't if the sensors don't pick up the bicycle.
Ah. I don't think that I've ever encountered one of those - I've seen some left turn signals that weren't included in a cycle, but I can't recall not getting a regular ol' green included.
Old 05-14-20, 07:47 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
If there's a cop in sight, the foot goes down. The same goes to a kindly motorist waiving me through. No. You were there first, or you're to the right of me, follow the traffic laws as I'm supposed to.
I do that with drivers, because it causes too much trouble and bother when people don't follow the script, but I have no problem doing a track stand and daring a cop to be an uber a-hole.
Old 05-14-20, 07:51 AM
abshipp 

Reading it again I can't tell whether all of the listed conditions have to be satisfied before you proceed through or if it's permissible to proceed if one or more of the conditions is satisfied
Old 05-14-20, 08:02 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by abshipp

I guess I need to find out what a “FULL and COMPLETE stop means to a bicycle.
When it comes to other drivers I take LAJ stand foot comes off even if they are waving me through. That causes to much confusion on all fronts.
Old 05-14-20, 08:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Can’t you guys just go behind a tree like most people??
Not a lot of trees in this part of Texas. There are some in neighborhoods that were planted, but once you get out on the road it’s scrub.
Old 05-14-20, 08:13 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Ah. I don't think that I've ever encountered one of those - I've seen some left turn signals that weren't included in a cycle, but I can't recall not getting a regular ol' green included.
There’s a particular one on that northern highway route we used - left turn from the highway to the local road that has the rec center we start at. If there isn’t a car behind you, the light will leave you hanging forever. Worse, it’ll let the oncoming traffic keep flying through against you, so you might be waiting a while even to run the light. At the end of the ride, baking on the blacktop.
Old 05-14-20, 08:15 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
There’s a particular one on that northern highway route we used - left turn from the highway to the local road that has the rec center we start at. If there isn’t a car behind you, the light will leave you hanging forever. Worse, it’ll let the oncoming traffic keep flying through against you, so you might be waiting a while even to run the light. At the end of the ride, baking on the blacktop.

Sounds like it’s time for a good old fashion re route.
Old 05-14-20, 08:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not a lot of trees in this part of Texas. There are some in neighborhoods that were planted, but once you get out on the road it’s scrub.
Bummer. I know that "public urination" is technically a sex crime in most states, which is just plain crazy IMO.

If you are in the middle of nowhere and are discreet, I see no problem with taking a leak. It's a normal bodily function. My hope is there is some type of sheltered secluded area (even a set-back billboard?) that would allow you to not have to hunt for a public bathroom.
Old 05-14-20, 08:17 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Sometimes in that situation, if you are on a steel framed bike, you can lay it on its side over where the magnetic detector is, and trigger the light to change that way. Works about 15-20% of the time, in my experience (or maybe the light was about to change anyway, who knows?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.