Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-14-20, 08:30 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by velo vol
datlas is there anything area lab mouse can do about anaemia beyond fixing what witch doctor has not been able to fix?
epo.
Old 07-14-20, 08:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
I was close to going to Cornell but was askeered I would end up at the bottom of one of those gorges....plus too cold in winter.
Terrible place in the winter. It was the first school we visited with daughter. She wasn't enchanted.
Old 07-14-20, 08:40 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,299 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
epo.
I'm just wanting normal RBC/HGB levels, not KOMs.
Old 07-14-20, 08:47 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I'm just wanting normal RBC/HGB levels, not KOMs.
That’s literally what EPO is for, isn’t it? Doping is off-label.
Old 07-14-20, 08:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
First rule of packing for a supported trip: Always always always put your clothes inside a trash bag before you put them in your duffle bag or whatever. There was a tarp covering the bags, but inconsiderate people did not put it back correctly after finding their bags, leaving some bags on the edges exposed to the rain.
In about 1992 my ex and I did a loop around Oregon, 650 miles in 9 days, I think. Our panniers were lined with small trash bags and we saw rain almost every day. Usually we could see it coming and find shelter to wait it out. One day a dark cloud loomed while we were exposed and we barely made it to an underpass before it started coming down in buckets. A young woman in a pickup truck offered to give us a ride to our motel and we accepted. It was raining so hard it was ridiculous. Our stuff got soaked as if it had been submerged. Everything, even money, had to be dried.
Old 07-14-20, 08:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yes.
Old 07-14-20, 09:03 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I don't know how "bad" this is, but I'm sure toiling on select hills, and it doesn't seem like I should be that out of shape.

Old 07-14-20, 09:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I don't know how "bad" this is, but I'm sure toiling on select hills, and it doesn't seem like I should be that out of shape.

Not life threatening, but low. I am not surprised you can feel it. Hematocrit is a slightly easier number to relate to performance.
Old 07-14-20, 09:18 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Not life threatening, but low. I am not surprised you can feel it. Hematocrit is a slightly easier number to relate to performance.
I assume it's all related. Low, but not enough for the "doctors" to be concerned? I take daily iron supplement. Not sure what else can be done.

Old 07-14-20, 09:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I assume it's all related. Low, but not enough for the "doctors" to be concerned? I take daily iron supplement. Not sure what else can be done.

Not an expert and I've forgotten most of what little I ever knew about treatment of mild anemia, but I do know that if you want something fixed, complain about it.
Old 07-14-20, 09:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts

It's a smidge low but not low enough to do anything about it. EPO could possibly help but not likely to be covered by insurance with only borderline low levels.

Altitude camp would help.

Attitude camp should help too.

#CheerUp
Old 07-14-20, 09:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,286 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In about 1992 my ex and I did a loop around Oregon, 650 miles in 9 days, I think. Our panniers were lined with small trash bags and we saw rain almost every day. Usually we could see it coming and find shelter to wait it out. One day a dark cloud loomed while we were exposed and we barely made it to an underpass before it started coming down in buckets. A young woman in a pickup truck offered to give us a ride to our motel and we accepted. It was raining so hard it was ridiculous. Our stuff got soaked as if it had been submerged. Everything, even money, had to be dried.
Two years ago I abandoned a cross-PA tour (Youngstown, OH to Philly) after only 3 days. Thursday night, before I made the drive out to Youngstown, the forecast was calling for some rain Saturday but pretty descent the rest of the week. Somehow, that all changed in about 24 hrs. It started raining Saturday morning while I was at the Motel 6. By the time I dropped the rental off at the nearby Vienna Airport a few hours later, it was raining in earnest. And it pretty much didn't stop--for three days. Half way through the first day a guy at a restaurant told me that some areas were expecting up to 20" over the next couple of days. And it was rather chilly. And there was a headwind, so the rain was blowing into my face. And wouldn't you know it, my rain jacket was no longer waterproof, and I forgot to pack my rain pants. Got a motel the first night instead of camping. The second day was worse. Got a motel that night too. The third day was even worse. I rode through a puddle early on that turned out to be hiding a giant pothole on the shoulder. I nearly wiped out (my ass came off the saddle and one of my hands came off the brake hood) and fell in front of a car. At times I was riding in 2' of water running down the side of the road. By then, my FD was no longer functioning. I think the combination of water all day then heated motel rooms at night cause it to seize up, because when I finally made it home I tried to shift and the cable snapped. Did the entire day in my smallest chainring. Got another motel at the end of the third day. Also, there was a chance that if I kept riding I would ride into the remnants of a hurricane. An old friend--the guy who got me into cycling way back in the 80s--drove 4.5 hrs. to pick me up late the next day. We then drove to his country house that night and to back to the city on Wednesday morning. But everything in my panniers stayed dry.

I posted this picture from my Day 2 hotel before. Never use the circulars to line your leg warmers when it's wet out. When I pulled them down I freaked for a second thinking I had somehow suffered massive bruising.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-14-20, 09:56 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10893 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts

That's very similar to my chronic anemia. I've been that way since 2009. I don't think I've been to 13 since then and I've been as low as 9 - low ferritin levels. I've had to take prescription stuff a couple times. I quit worrying about it years ago. I generally run 12-12.5.

Old 07-14-20, 10:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I posted this picture from my Day 2 hotel before. Never use the circulars to line your leg warmers when it's wet out. When I pulled them down I freaked for a second thinking I had somehow suffered massive bruising.
At one of my first tris (Boulder Sunrise), they gave cold wet towels at the finish. I was talking with this guy who’d been leapfrogging me during the ride when I suddenly saw that my fingertips were blue, fading towards the palm. I had a more than minor freakout and ran towards and EMT before realizing that the towel was the same blue and clearly not color-fast.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 10:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

It's a smidge low but not low enough to do anything about it. EPO could possibly help but not likely to be covered by insurance with only borderline low levels.

Altitude camp would help.

#CheerUp
Attitude camp; I like that.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-14-20, 10:24 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Two years ago I abandoned a cross-PA tour (Youngstown, OH to Philly) after only 3 days. Thursday night, before I made the drive out to Youngstown, the forecast was calling for some rain Saturday but pretty descent the rest of the week. Somehow, that all changed in about 24 hrs. It started raining Saturday morning while I was at the Motel 6. By the time I dropped the rental off at the nearby Vienna Airport a few hours later, it was raining in earnest. And it pretty much didn't stop--for three days. Half way through the first day a guy at a restaurant told me that some areas were expecting up to 20" over the next couple of days. And it was rather chilly. And there was a headwind, so the rain was blowing into my face. And wouldn't you know it, my rain jacket was no longer waterproof, and I forgot to pack my rain pants. Got a motel the first night instead of camping. The second day was worse. Got a motel that night too. The third day was even worse. I rode through a puddle early on that turned out to be hiding a giant pothole on the shoulder. I nearly wiped out (my ass came off the saddle and one of my hands came off the brake hood) and fell in front of a car. At times I was riding in 2' of water running down the side of the road. By then, my FD was no longer functioning. I think the combination of water all day then heated motel rooms at night cause it to seize up, because when I finally made it home I tried to shift and the cable snapped. Did the entire day in my smallest chainring. Got another motel at the end of the third day. Also, there was a chance that if I kept riding I would ride into the remnants of a hurricane. An old friend--the guy who got me into cycling way back in the 80s--drove 4.5 hrs. to pick me up late the next day. We then drove to his country house that night and to back to the city on Wednesday morning. But everything in my panniers stayed dry.

Shoulda gone to the nearest tattoo parlour to make em permanent!
Old 07-14-20, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,286 Times in 7,226 Posts
At one of my first tris (Boulder Sunrise), they gave cold wet towels at the finish. I was talking with this guy who’d been leapfrogging me during the ride when I suddenly saw that my fingertips were blue, fading towards the palm. I had a more than minor freakout and ran towards and EMT before realizing that the towel was the same blue and clearly not color-fast.
Heh. I saw a guy who actually did have blue fingers after getting caught in a storm while riding the Mickelson Trail in SD. His wife had brought appropriate gear for the day ride. He had not. They were up on the hill north of Hill City and got delayed by a stubborn heard of free range cattle. Hill City is nearly a mile high, so they could have been close to 5,700' when the storm hit. The temperature in town dropped by probably 20 degrees. Maybe even more. Hubby called the shuttle service, which was based in town, for a ride back to Custer.
Old 07-14-20, 11:03 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Not an expert and I've forgotten most of what little I ever knew about treatment of mild anemia, but I do know that if you want something fixed, complain about it.
Odds are 90%+ that having my immune system under control would fix it, but that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.
Nope. I've been near or actual aneamic for several years, but seem more out of breath on the hills this year. Sigh.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
That's very similar to my chronic anemia. I've been that way since 2009. I don't think I've been to 13 since then and I've been as low as 9 - low ferritin levels. I've had to take prescription stuff a couple times. I quit worrying about it years ago. I generally run 12-12.5.
Do you have general fatigue? It doesn't seem to keep you off the velocipede.
Old 07-14-20, 11:35 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Do you have general fatigue? It doesn't seem to keep you off the velocipede.
No more than any other older person.

Old 07-14-20, 11:42 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts

Well you may have eliminated any chance of ever competitively doping. Isn't this stuff part of the ABP (Athlete Biological Passport) used in detection?
Old 07-14-20, 11:58 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
At the Rainbow Gathering in Roseburg, Oregon, in 1978, it rained continually, day and night, for five days. We had only a tube tent. It may have rained longer, but we weren't around to witness it.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 07-14-20, 12:21 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
No more than any other older person.
You're making me feel 80+.

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
Isn't this stuff part of the ABP (Athlete Biological Passport) used in detection?
Never heard of it.
Old 07-14-20, 12:37 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Winter already arrived in CO, apparently. A few more weeks for the rest of us.

Old 07-14-20, 12:43 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
bubonic squirrels
We had a case of rabies confirmed in a dead bat in the county West of us.

I think I heard of a bird with West Nile as well.
Old 07-14-20, 12:46 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Winter already arrived in CO, apparently. A few more weeks for the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1283072780825657344
The Plague heralds the arrival of winter in Colorado? Who knew?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.