Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I never use my dropper. What gives?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

I never use my dropper. What gives?

Old 07-04-21, 03:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
Unless there is something magnificent about your lever id get an entire upgrade. I would bet levers have improved as well as the droppers.
Always an easy thing to add later if I feel like the old one isn’t working so well.
Old 07-04-21, 05:39 PM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Dropper use is a skill like any other. It's not just bolt-on-go-faster. Take the time to experiment with different levels on different terrain. Visit a pumptrack if you can. See what it's like dropping just a smidge over rougher terrain.
I've been mountain biking almost since the beginning and it probably took me a year of technical riding before regular and frequent height modulation became a habit. But I love it now, and couldn't go back.
Old 07-04-21, 06:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
So that’s not the case here. I actually try to avoid riding my mountain bike until I’ve found trails I don’t think my gravel bike should be on.

Anyway, this discussion has led me down a rabbit hole.

My post is a USE Gravity Dropper Turbo from 2012. I got it used and have had it a year. It drops 4” and 1”. That 1” setting is really hard to get to too. Additionally, in order to lock a position, I have to pull out on the lever with my thumb. Push for down and pull for lock.
Something is broken or mis-adjusted, GD Turbo should NOT be like that. It should lock in place simple by having the lever released when the seat is in the lowered position.

The problem has nothing to do with the lever. I would guess is a problem with the switch pin spring. Look at part #358 on this parts diagram. It should push the pin in place when you release the lever.

While the GD Turbo is not infinite adjust, it should not be holding you back in terms of dropper usage. If you can't find a use for a dropper with a properly functioning GD Turbo, I don't think the PNW or other modern post is going to change that.

That said, the PNWs are really nice to use. If you get a new dropper, that is a solid choice. However, having owned a GD for 16 years and 2 PNWs for 1 year and 2 years, I can tell you that the GDs are MUCH better built to last. My 1 year old cascade (thinner inner post and single bushing) has already developed more play than my 16 year old GD, and the 2 year old Cascade (thicker inner post and twin bushings) is starting to get really rough and creaky.
Old 07-05-21, 08:24 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Sometimes you just know you're gonna use that dropper

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-05-21, 10:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Reading these posts, I came to realize that many (most?) posts are infinite adjustments within its range. Am I also correct to assume that new posts keep their position without having to pull back out on the lever? Push to drop or raise to where you want and let go to lock?
Yep. It's an air spring with a hydraulic lockout, push to release.

In fact my post is maybe a little too long for me barefoot and that lets me adjust the top end for different shoes, knee pain that day, etc.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-05-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-10-21, 10:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
This morning my wife and I were deciding where to go climb. I realized we were going to be near the upper trailhead of a ridiculous mess of singletrack.

So I threw my bike in and gave it a whirl. 5 miles and -3100 feet later, on the rockiest trail I’ve ever been on. I think I’m pretty happy with the new dropper.

There’s lots of times it’s nice to lower the post a little or a little more. The digital up or down of the old post was definitely the problem. Still getting used to it but my seat would have thrown me off the bike with it jacked skyward.

Ive certainly learned something here. Looking forward to more places to practice.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-14-21, 09:47 AM
Wongway

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Going up and down local trails, I could definitely see the potential for casual use of a dropper. I suppose actively using it to its potential is simply practice.
Old 08-04-21, 02:35 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I just had my first experience with a dropper and wished I’d had one years ago. I think it would have saved me from some broken bones from going OTB a couple of years ago.
Likes For PGHNeil:
Old 08-07-21, 01:11 AM
AdamITR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Took me quite a while, practice, memory to use mine correctly. I ride two different hard tails, one with a dropper, the other an XC race bike does not. It’s definitely something that I will be adding to the XC bike.
Old 09-12-21, 10:41 AM
xcfang

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't use my dropper when I bought my more modern bike in 2018...until I started using it; now I use it all the time. Favorite component on the bike! Use it on drops; use it on turns; use it on descents. It helps so much to get lower on the bike above the saddle.
Old 10-25-21, 02:33 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Let’s start with a pic of my bike so we’re all on the same page.

That’s a 4” or 5” something capable dropper on a remote and it works perfectly. It’s on a not particularly light XC hard tail that’s nothing fancy but pretty reliable. The snowdrift was near the top of the Monarch Crest trail 2 days ago, the dropper didn’t get used in 30 miles of hits.

I got the dropper used not too long ago and have had time to put it through some rocks. Trouble is, I never seem to use it.

The reviews are in. Droppers revolutionized the sport. They’re even making inroads in gravel.

Makes me think I’m doing something wrong. I lean back and pinch my seat with my (less than) thunderous thighs. This gives me another connection point on my bikes to control it from. I lose this option dropped and it rarely seems like an advantage.

At this point the dropper seems to help get the bike into the back of the car and it’s a fun toy to show my kids. In terms of actual riding, I’m not really using it.

It seems to me that they wouldn’t be so popular if everyone rarely used them. Trying to maximize what I can do on this bike.

Is my thigh pinch a beginner/intermediate technique that I need to move beyond?

Is it the 80mm stem from the XC rig keeping me too far forward to really utilize it?

Do I just need to hit even rockier trails? (I am trying)

(FWIW, this bike is my first Mtn bike this century. My last, a Zaskar LE in about 1998, was a joke compared to this thing. So while I realize there are far better bikes for me out there, I’m currently very happy trying to maximize my skills on this bike)
Watch a YT video.