Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic era touring rear derailleur

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-17-21, 08:04 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 69 Posts

I’m building up a late 70s bike with a 13-34 freewheel. A buddy has offered me the following. Which shifts the best? Any other period correctish (70s/early 80s) options that would work better?
- Campagnolo rally w the reinforced neck
- suntour cyclone
- shimano XT (stretching the period a bit)
Old 08-17-21, 08:09 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 172 Posts
Those are all good choices. However, the classic under-rated wide range derailleur from that period would have to be the Suntour VGT Luxe, in my view. Strong and robust mechanically, yet surprisingly light.

Circa 1975, with Suntour sealed bearing pulleys...
Old 08-17-21, 08:11 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
I'd go with first generation XT from around 1983--Deerhead/Deore XT/M700: https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...1st_style.html

In fact, I just installed a set on an early 70s road frame, figuring that's what the discerning owner would have upgraded to when he decided to do some touring in the early 80s.
Old 08-17-21, 08:11 PM
MB33 

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I love how the Cyclone GT handles my 14-34 5 speed setup, it's a very smooth working mech, a 13-34 should handle the same.
Likes For MB33:
Old 08-17-21, 08:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
... 13-34 ... suntour cyclone.
Probably needs to be a GT with that range.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-17-21, 08:16 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 326 Posts
Here are a couple more nice long-cage and period-correct RDs to consider. I believe that the Crane was basically early Dura Ace.

Old 08-17-21, 08:40 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Cyclone GT, but I'm just running a 13-30 cassette..

The SunTour VGT is going to shift just as well, weigh a bit more, and be more robust.

The Shimano Crane is pretty sexy too, and likely works great.

The Huret Duopar has French charm, but a weird way to attach to the dropout and a potentially fragile 2nd parallelogram. Might be the derailleur for you if you like living dangerously!

The Campagnolo Rally might be fine, but when you think touring, you don't think "Campagnolo". Never made any sense to me.

Steve in Peoria, with a distinct Japanese bias when it comes to touring gear.
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-17-21, 09:10 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I’m running a Cyclone GT with a 12-32 in back and a triple up front, and it’s great.

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 08-17-21, 09:17 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
- Campagnolo rally w the reinforced neck
If you're after function and considering a Rally, a Shimano Crane GS is probably a better choice. The early Rallys are basically a knock-off of the Crane GS: they look nice, but the Shimano original is more durable and lighter (in addition to less expensive).

- suntour cyclone
If you go with a Cyclone, obviously get a GT model, not the short-cage.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-17-21, 09:21 PM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I’m running a Cyclone GT with a 12-32 in back and a triple up front, and it’s great.

It’s a GT.
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 08-17-21, 09:23 PM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by HTupolev
If you're after function and considering a Rally, a Shimano Crane GS is probably a better choice. The early Rallys are basically a knock-off of the Crane GS: they look nice, but the Shimano original is more durable and lighter (in addition to less expensive).

If you go with a Cyclone, obviously get a GT model, not the short-cage.
That’s what makes the decision difficult- he’s offering one of the selections for free. Cyclone GT, Rally or XT. I was tempted with the Rally since the rest of the drivetrain is campy but I’d like to have the best shifting rear D more than anything.
Old 08-17-21, 09:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
The long cage XT would be hard to beat for performance.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-18-21, 12:45 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
Hands down Cyclone GT for me— silky smooth shifts, beautiful to behold, period correct.
Old 08-18-21, 08:22 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 127 Posts
Rally for panache

Cyclone for practicality AND looks, (plus the split cage is a nice feature to have while touring.)

XT if you're someone who eats pizza with a knife and fork

The choice is yours.
Likes For romperrr:
Old 08-18-21, 08:33 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Another for the Cyclone GT, better looking and lighter then the other cheaper Suntour RDs. Nothing will shift better, and as stated before period correct.
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:
Old 08-18-21, 08:40 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
That’s what makes the decision difficult- he’s offering one of the selections for free. Cyclone GT, Rally or XT. I was tempted with the Rally since the rest of the drivetrain is campy but I’d like to have the best shifting rear D more than anything.
Originally Posted by romperrr
Rally for panache

Cyclone for practicality AND looks, (plus the split cage is a nice feature to have while touring.)

XT if you're someone who eats pizza with a knife and fork

The choice is yours.
^^^this. I have on one bike or another almost all of the long cage rear derailleurs mentioned so far in this thread, and they all work pretty well.
The Suntour of that era obviously has the advantage of their patent on the mechanism, which had not yet expired so the others could copy it.

The Shimano 600EX (a precursor to the XT you mention), also works well.

The one that has never worked well for me (but gets raves from many other people), is that Huret Ecopar/Duopar, with all the little pivot points to wear out.

The older Shimano Crane with the long cage is a very solid performer, but somewhat expensive to buy on ebay nowadays.

I always look them up on Disraeli Gears, to get his impressions of performance.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-18-21, 08:52 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I've had this thing about "trying out all kinds of touring derailleurs" on my bikes.

If you're to be period correct-ish about your stuff, and you're going to be riding it, you want the best shifting unit, and you're just limiting yourself to these 3...

The Rally is cool- it's unique, it's Campagnolo, it looks cool... I've never used one- but you don't hear much of any good stuff mentioned about them. If you're NOT going to be riding it- the Rally might be a good choice for a neat looking conversation piece. But not a neat looking conversation piece when you're 15 miles from the nearest town and it decides to explode.

The XT derailleur... As you probably know, Deore XT was really built for ATBs- rugged, reliable and the best Shimano had- and there are many versions of Deore XT- I think there are 4 different generations during the 80s, with bunches of variations in each generation. The black covered M730, 732 and M735 are just incredible derailleurs and really set the standard. If it's one of those, it'll be a bit anachronistic- but it'll be the best. If it's the silver deer head- M700- I would stay away from the "super plate" version- but the free pulley version- it's a good choice.

The Cyclone... The Cyclone was one of the lightest, and best shifting derailleurs both of its day and to this very day. They're great and reliable and it's easy to get the chain off, and it's beautiful to look at. I used both a "first generation" and an MII on my 720 for a while- they just felt much more "dainty" than other touring derailleurs. I have not heard a whole bunch of 'Cyclone derailleurs' giving out stories- but I have heard of it. You'd probably be absolutely fine- and it'll be period correct and it'll shift flawlessly and it'll be dominant...

I know you said between the 3- but a 70s tourer should come with the Suntour V-GT Luxe. It'll be as good as the Cyclone and with all the robustness you could want.

My choice- in order- XT M730-M735, Cyclone, XT M700 (either version), Rally.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-18-21, 08:59 AM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I always look them up on Disraeli Gears, to get his impressions of performance.
No mention of the Rally though.
Old 08-18-21, 10:24 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
The Cyclone... The Cyclone was one of the lightest, and best shifting derailleurs both of its day and to this very day. They're great and reliable and it's easy to get the chain off, and it's beautiful to look at. I used both a "first generation" and an MII on my 720 for a while- they just felt much more "dainty" than other touring derailleurs. I have not heard a whole bunch of 'Cyclone derailleurs' giving out stories- but I have heard of it. You'd probably be absolutely fine- and it'll be period correct and it'll shift flawlessly and it'll be dominant...
is there a sticky thread on "broken derailleurs"?
well, I'm a fan of the Cyclone GT and have used them since they were new. Still, I feel compelled to mention that I've had two where the lower pivot spring has broken. One broke while the bike was in the work stand, which is perfect timing!

The other broke 3 miles into a bike ride. The chain managed to jump out of the pulleys and jam between the hub flange and freewheel. Somehow the chain managed to also hang up in the front derailleur and cause significant damage.
Some photos, just because...

the disassembled derailleur, with a good spring shown next to the broken spring. The bent end that fits into the hole in the derailleur pivot housing is what broke.

and a close-up of the break

I created a thread about this on the I-Bob group, and was surprised at how many folks have suffered various types of failures. There was no obvious problem with these lower pivot springs, based on the discussion at that time.
By chance, my touring bike has SunTour canti brakes, which use springs with a similar right-hand bend. I had one of these break in the same way, but just that one failure. No indication of a design or manufacturing problem.

There have been some reports of broken lower pivot springs on the Cyclone GT Mark II too, even though the design is completely different. There is a general rule that says "everything eventually breaks", which seems applicable for 40 year old derailleurs.

Steve in Peoria
(I had to carry the poor bike for the 3 mile walk home)

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 08-18-21 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-18-21, 10:37 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
No mention of the Rally though.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-18-21, 10:45 AM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by merziac
I thought it was odd. He's so thorough. But I've found other derailleurs missing now that I've stared at the site for a bit. I guess he just writes about the ones he loves and hates.
Old 08-18-21, 10:56 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I thought it was odd. He's so thorough. But I've found other derailleurs missing now that I've stared at the site for a bit. I guess he just writes about the ones he loves and hates.
Could be, still odd, plenty of disdain for the Rally though.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-18-21, 11:06 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
is there a sticky thread on "broken derailleurs"?
well, I'm a fan of the Cyclone GT and have used them since they were new. Still, I feel compelled to mention that I've had two where the lower pivot spring has broken. One broke while the bike was in the work stand, which is perfect timing!

The other broke 3 miles into a bike ride. The chain managed to jump out of the pulleys and jam between the hub flange and freewheel. Somehow the chain managed to also hang up in the front derailleur and cause significant damage.
Some photos, just because...

the disassembled derailleur, with a good spring shown next to the broken spring. The bent end that fits into the hole in the derailleur pivot housing is what broke.

and a close-up of the break

I created a thread about this on the I-Bob group, and was surprised at how many folks have suffered various types of failures. There was no obvious problem with these lower pivot springs, based on the discussion at that time.
By chance, my touring bike has SunTour canti brakes, which use springs with a similar right-hand bend. I had one of these break in the same way, but just that one failure. No indication of a design or manufacturing problem.

There have been some reports of broken lower pivot springs on the Cyclone GT Mark II too, even though the design is completely different. There is a general rule that says "everything eventually breaks", which seems applicable for 40 year old derailleurs.

Steve in Peoria
(I had to carry the poor bike for the 3 mile walk home)
Wow, that could have "sucked" way more on the Hetchins, glad it didn't take out a chainstay.
Old 08-18-21, 11:09 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what bike are we talking about? For me, that would be a major factor, as all of these derailleurs shift well enough, as long as they are in good condition.

The SunTour GT's are beautiful derailleurs that shift really well, but even if period-correct, they would look sorely out of place on a French bike with MAFAC brakes, Philippe bars and an Idéale saddle. There, you want a Simplex or Huret derailleur.

Old 08-18-21, 11:22 AM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Maybe I missed it, but what bike are we talking about? For me, that would be a major factor, as all of these derailleurs shift well enough, as long as they are in good condition.

The SunTour GT's are beautiful derailleurs that shift really well, but even if period-correct, they would look sorely out of place on a French bike with MAFAC brakes, Philippe bars and an Idéale saddle. There, you want a Simplex or Huret derailleur.
It's funny that you ask....this discussion got me thinking about another bike that has a non-period rear derailleur - my late 70s / early 80s Ritchey road. All Campagnolo except the rear derailleur is a Deore XT. Shifts great but I'm thinking I may try something different on there.

The bike I originally posted about is a Cinelli SC that I'm building up from the frame. Most of it is Campy NR but I'm straying from the narrow freewheel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.