Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Pedal issue and too short of a seat post

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 10:07 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts

On a just new RAD city bike step thru and find that I cannot fully extend my legs to pedal as needed so I orderd the only 450mm seat post I could find and it was delivered tonight from Amazon and the envelope was empty. Refunded no problem but I need a full 1.5 inches further than the max line on the seat post that came with the bike. I pulled out the one that came with the bike and measured a full 5 inches below the maximum seat post height limit.
Is it safe to ride with me, 220 lbs above the limit line? I am at a loss of what to do as I cannot seem to find a seat post long enough online other than the company I ordered from that did not arrive.. I am 5 10 with 32 inseam not really a tall guy but know how to sit and pedal without pain. H E L P.
Old 08-20-21, 10:25 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
FOR ME, (6'1", 180), I'm satisfied as long as the seatpost extends to the bottom of the intersection of the top tube and seat tube. As long as the seat tube doesn't extend far above the top tube, this is about 2" - 3". What is your seat tube diameter as I've ordered a couple from ebay and they were fine?
Old 08-20-21, 10:32 PM
Sempervee

Originally Posted by 2old
FOR ME, (6'1", 180), I'm satisfied as long as the seatpost extends to the bottom of the intersection of the top tube and seat tube. As long as the seat tube doesn't extend far above the top tube, this is about 2" - 3". What is your seat tube diameter as I've ordered a couple from ebay and they were fine?
I am on a step thru so no top tube. Grrr... I am only a 32 inseam at 5 10 so this is really frustrating have a new bike a week now I cannot ride without knee pain and full leg extension...
Old 08-20-21, 10:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
At 220 lbs, I wouldn't go above the minimum insertion line. You could destroy your whole bicycle, and be in a greater mess.

What is your post diameter?

Looking on E-Bay, there is US Stock of 450mm x 31.6 seatposts.
27.2 seems to be shipped from China, and a longer delay.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-20-21, 10:47 PM
Sempervee

Originally Posted by CliffordK
At 220 lbs, I wouldn't go above the minimum insertion line. You could destroy your whole bicycle, and be in a greater mess.

What is your post diameter?

Looking on E-Bay, there is US Stock of 450mm x 31.6 seatposts.
27.2 seems to be shipped from China, and a longer delay.
Hi Clifford,
It measures 27.2 Just ordered one 450mm post from Amazon and the envelope was delivered missing the item! Grrrrrr.. So frustrating. Had the bike a week now and not able to ride it properly without pain. Guess i will look on ebay also now and a different manufacturer. Taking to heart not to move seat above line.
Old 08-20-21, 11:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Ok, so this one lists:

450mm
"Dual Rail"
US Stock, delivery by September 7th.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373668410955

This one is similar specs, but delivery one week earlier.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184904372651
Unfortunately no pull-down to select options, so you'll have to contact the seller to verify.
Old 08-21-21, 12:49 AM
Sempervee

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok, so this one lists:

450mm
"Dual Rail"
US Stock, delivery by September 7th.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373668410955

This one is similar specs, but delivery one week earlier.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184904372651
Unfortunately no pull-down to select options, so you'll have to contact the seller to verify.
Clifford, Thanks for the info and pointing me to a web site to alleviate this issue.
Old 08-24-21, 10:15 AM
Sempervee

Ordered again thinking it could not disappear twice?!?!?!
Hope to finally get a decent ride in by this weekend without pain..
Old 08-24-21, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would find a bike that fits. I am sure you will sell that Rad Power easily and can get something that has more sizes or sizes in general. Having had a couple Rads in the shop that have had frame issues from too long seat posts with not enough in the frame I would be careful.
Old 08-24-21, 09:10 PM
Sempervee

Veganbikes - "I would find a bike that fits. I am sure you will sell that Rad Power easily and can get something that has more sizes or sizes in general. Having had a couple Rads in the shop that have had frame issues from too long seat posts with not enough in the frame I would be careful"

Vegan, You have me thinking now as it sounds like you work in a bike shop and I am well within my "Free 14 days not happy Refund period that ends this Sunday. Perhaps I should take it back and get the one that I can just barely stand above the cross bar but that fits my frame better while pedaling, the City bike 4.
Ugh, not looking forward to fighting Seattle traffic and loading this into my PU bed as I no longer have the box it came in either...
Old 08-25-21, 09:24 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
If you are 5' 10" and 32 inseam and the bike doesn't fit... I think I looked the bike up and it's a one-size-fits-all..... I would take the bike pack and get something else. Be glad and happy you have a pickup to put it in, you don't have to put it in the box, and the company is local to you!!!

Oh, and.... just say "no' to amazon and ebay. A lot of amazon is drop-shipped from somewhere else.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-25-21, 09:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Sempervee
Veganbikes - "I would find a bike that fits. I am sure you will sell that Rad Power easily and can get something that has more sizes or sizes in general. Having had a couple Rads in the shop that have had frame issues from too long seat posts with not enough in the frame I would be careful"

Vegan, You have me thinking now as it sounds like you work in a bike shop and I am well within my "Free 14 days not happy Refund period that ends this Sunday. Perhaps I should take it back and get the one that I can just barely stand above the cross bar but that fits my frame better while pedaling, the City bike 4.
Ugh, not looking forward to fighting Seattle traffic and loading this into my PU bed as I no longer have the box it came in either...
Get a bike that fits.

I do work at a bike shop but even if not get a bike that fits. If you have to significantly alter components on the bike to change the fit you probably have the wrong bike. If you have ability to return it, return it and find a bike that fits better. It is sounding to me like that brand doesn't really make something that works for you.

A company that makes bikes that don't have sizes unless they are something like the Tern GSD or something along those lines probably is not a company that I want to be buying a bike from. A one size fits some might be fine for a hat or something like that but for something I am going to be active on and ride a lot, not so much. Granted though on a standard diamond frame you generally should have about an inch of clearance between top tube and crotch but so long as you have space so if you have to get off in an emergency you won't hit anything with detrimental effect. However that is only a time part of the fit equation you also have reach to consider so if you are locked out the bike is too big and if you are really bunched up the bike is too small but other factors are also at play and you should test ride some different brands and find one that fits you well and works for what you are doing. If it is just price point you look at, you tend to miss important things and end up spending more to get the right back down the line or riding less because the bike just doesn't do it right. It is a big decision and can get a little more expensive to a lot more expensive but when you land on the right bike and get what you want you will ride the heck out of it and that cost was well worth it.

I have put nearly 1k miles on my bike after having it for just a few months and if I had more time on my hands I would probably have gone well over that (sadly most of the riding has been commuting and more mundane errands). Yeah it did cost me a good chunk of change but I got what I wanted and got something that fit and that I really enjoy riding a lot, a lot. E-bikes in general are fun but some are a bit more fun or more comfortable or a mix of both and other factors than others. You gotta find yours : )
Old 08-27-21, 10:09 AM
Sempervee

Smile

VB, thanks for all your input. I'm finding the more I know, the more I don't know. After riding today even with 12 inches of seat post showing I did a deep dive into Google and found out that as long as the minimum insertion is respected there is no known issue as long as all 3 contacts body points are working well and pain free. There is really no scientific or problem that I can find about damaging the frame or me, or problems therein that are promulgated by too tall a seat post other then the prospective of what "Looks" right. Something that changes with the times. Prospective.
Bike supply is so short and buying blind off the internet is very problematic even as I am surrounded by 5 bike shops that have literally nothing to sell. In the end it seems like keeping what I have is the answer or treking into Seattle 2 hours away to try and sway RAD bikes to return my step thru for the taller City bike that I can barely stand over but has no seat post problems. At my age now going forward I think about ability to comfortably mount and dismount and resale value. Step thru's are very very popular selling 2x1 for every crossbar version of ebike. SO doing nothing is doing something and that is where I am at the moment. I thank you for all your input and giving me pause for thought.

Last edited by Sempervee; 08-27-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 12:35 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Some individuals have extreme problems if the seat isn't extended to the proper height (my wife and the friend that i ride with frequently have this characteristic while I don't seem to). If I had this "knee" characteristic, the bike would be returned (since you say there are a couple of days left to do it). My recollection (from a Sheldon Brown article) is that 1.75" is the minimum insertion limit, but that may have been for steel frames. One last thing: Brooks (probably many others) has a spring saddle that seems to add an inch or two to the seat height. Might look into that.
Old 08-27-21, 01:04 PM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Good thing it's a step through with that impressive trunk on back. I can barely swing my leg over my much smaller Ibera rack pack.
Old 08-27-21, 03:17 PM
Sempervee

Finally got out to the RAD store in Seattle and returned for refund my bike and purchased another one. Much to my surprise the RAD Mini 4 folding bike fit me the best out off all of their models that I had test ridden. I am surprised and getting use to 20 inch wheels is the only item. Love that I can raise the handle bars about 4 inches on the run besides being able to fold the beast for storage in the back of my truck and can give up the search for a $600 ebike hitch rack very short in supply these days.

Last edited by Sempervee; 09-13-21 at 01:05 PM.