Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

looking for 700 wheel, 3-speed hub, coaster brake

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-05-21, 03:23 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts

I've googed and I've searched the forum, and gotten lots of results, but hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

One of my bike customers (I restore, flip, wrench) asked me yesterday for a 700c wheel with coaster brake, ideally 3 speed, but if not, 1 speed. He's European and spent 5 years in Amsterdam, to give you an idea of the kind of cycling he's thinking about. He has not gotten help or even interest from LBS's, except to buy a hub and build a wheel. And the hubs I've seen are expensive!!! But does a complete and affordable wheel with these requirements already exist? Source?

thx in advance.
Old 09-05-21, 03:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Unlikely you'll find a low cost wheel with an IGH and coaster brake 700c wheels are not really a volume seller. The scarce availability of parts is driving many companies to reduce their selection of product to what's needed by many and not the ends of the bell curve. I have to admit that the LBS suggesting a custom built wheel is possibly their only option these days.

How about a used hub with a new rim and spokes? If you flip bikes then buying an old bike for it's hub then later fix up the remainder to recover that cost might be a good option.

I do wonder if your customer has ridden in SF much yet Not the topography for a single speed and only rear brake, IMO. Andy
Old 09-05-21, 06:56 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Unlikely you'll find a low cost wheel with an IGH and coaster brake 700c wheels are not really a volume seller. The scarce availability of parts is driving many companies to reduce their selection of product to what's needed by many and not the ends of the bell curve. I have to admit that the LBS suggesting a custom built wheel is possibly their only option these days.

How about a used hub with a new rim and spokes? If you flip bikes then buying an old bike for it's hub then later fix up the remainder to recover that cost might be a good option.

I do wonder if your customer has ridden in SF much yet Not the topography for a single speed and only rear brake, IMO. Andy
hahahaha, he's straight from NYC. Only been here a month. (here being Mountain View, which is flat). And his 5 years in Amsterdam is not going to prepare him either!

My son lived in SF for four years and I started thinking about those hills and rough roads with each new build, so a few in my fleet have either compact cranks or triples with robust tires. There is some very good cycling in SF, with inspiring views, one of my favorite places to ride.
Old 09-05-21, 09:28 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I picked up a cheap NOS SA S3C and am building that for my Schwinn cruiser. It is NOT the best 3s coaster but I will have a front brake also.
I don't see you being able to buy a 700c, 3s, coaster wheel... ever.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 09-05-21, 11:39 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Your customer will be needing a Fichtel and Sachs hub then

I parted a 700 wheel and such a hub out a couple of months ago, bought secondhand, and last week bought a 20" wheel kids bike secondhand mostly for the 36-spoke SRAM 3-speed coaster brake hub as the most reliable option because I could road test the bike - and the cheapest option because you get the lever and cable parts as well.

The F+S has a beautiful tick when coasting...
Old 09-06-21, 06:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...2&category=988
Old 09-06-21, 08:12 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
A quick check on eBay (yeah, I know), one vendor has a 36h 3-speed rear hub kit for sale - it appears to be complete with cables/shifter/small parts. But they want $75+ for it.

Fair number of used hubs seemed to be available.

Did see one complete rear wheel at a reasonable price (and others at significantly more cost from the UK), but that was an auction and was freewheel vice coaster brake.

Provided FYI. Hope the info is useful.
Old 09-06-21, 12:52 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Not a coaster and it is not in stock...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 09-06-21, 05:14 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Our local co-op has an old Rudge with a recent S-A 3-speed coaster and 700C wheels. I was going to grab it for myself but don't like coaster brakes. Rag and Bones Co-op in Richmond, but it might not be cost effective for you and used stuff is always a gamble.

Old 09-07-21, 11:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Unless you can find a donor bike with a 3sp + coaster brake, then you'll be stuck buying a new hub, if you can find one. My preference would be a Shimano hub, but if you were going that way I would go for an 8 speed rather than a 3 speed... the function is the same, just more suitable for varying road steepness, and I believe you can get the 8 speed with a coaster brake.

Although I did see an online vendor with a $59 price on a Shimano Nexus Inter-3 with a coaster brake... that's pretty affordable. None in stock, though. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2713
And here's an 8 speed version (also not in stock): https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2713

My advice is, don't be shy about sourcing and quoting a price you think might be a little high. You never know what a customer will agree to pay if you can fulfill their unique requirements.
For instance, if you can get a hub + hardware/shifter + rim + spokes for $400, and charge ~$600 (100 for wheel build, 100 for the surgery to adapt to customer's bike + time spent sourcing and ordering- your time is valuable), maybe he'll bite. Otherwise he's just waiting for you to scrounge stull out of the bin so he doesn't have to.
Old 09-07-21, 11:22 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
You'll get better results searching for 28". But they seem to be mostly crap or sham, judging by the prices. And all Shimano.
Old 09-08-21, 09:36 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
hahahaha, he's straight from NYC. Only been here a month. (here being Mountain View, which is flat). And his 5 years in Amsterdam is not going to prepare him either!

My son lived in SF for four years and I started thinking about those hills and rough roads with each new build, so a few in my fleet have either compact cranks or triples with robust tires. There is some very good cycling in SF, with inspiring views, one of my favorite places to ride.
well if he sticks to Silicon valley the 3 speed will work work and if insists

here is a 700c coaster brake single speed

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=2283

https://www.modernbike.com/700c-rear...ter-brakeisyes

Old 09-08-21, 09:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I have a Sturmey 3-speed with coaster brake but will need to dig it out. Might be built into a 26 x 1 3/8 wheel or might be loose.
Old 09-09-21, 07:09 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
FWIW: a complete 700c coaster-brake 3-speed bike (w/Shimano IGH) can be purchased for around $350 from at least 1 source on the Internet in SoCal, apparently with free shipping. Professional assembly is recommended by the vendor. Probably low-end frame and other components, but might fit the customer's needs if a wheel turns out prohibitively expensive. He or she might also pay you to do the assembly.

Other sources list non-coaster models for even less. Not sure about shipping costs or locations for those, though (didn't look).

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-12-21 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Add info inadvertently omitted in original.
Old 09-12-21, 08:27 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
If Palo Alto is convenient to you you might want to check us out at Bikex.org. We have a large box full of old hubs, lots of SA 3 speeds and maybe one with a coaster brake. We have work days every Wednesday and alternate Saturdays. I have a 26" wheel with Shimano 3 spd and coaster brake in my stash at home but ain't giving it up. One of these days I am going to use it on a cruiser bike,