Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

CCRT personal STATs

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
CCRT personal STATs

CCRT (Cape Cod rail Trail) personal STATs

Since I've been racking up crazy #s of miles this riding season and since I've run this trail a bunch of times I'm gonna keep a personal log of my computer STATs. Mostly to compare different bikes. I have listed 2 bikes so far and will list a 3rd later in the week.

From spring on my converted hybrid S. Dennis to Marconi
47 miles
MAX speed 23.5 mph
AVRG speed 14.8 mph
Saddle time 3 hrs 12 min

From Summer Beg of August: on Blue LeTour S. Dennis to Newcomb Hollow:
52.6 miles
MAX speed 33.9 mph - I went a little crazy at one point
AVRG speed 15.2 mph
Saddle time 3 hrs 27 min

I'll be doing this again later this week on a new-to-me bike and I'm hoping my STATs will be even better!

=================================
For those not familiar with this trail:

Main parking lot is in South Dennis.
Cross the canal, take route 6 to exit 9B take a right on 134 South to Dennis and go about 3/10s mile.
Big parking lot will be on your left, yes there is a sign.
Plenty of services right around there with bathrooms and food and gas and snacks, etc.
There are 2 branches - 1 to Welfleet and 2 to Chatham.
The trip to Wellfleet is best leg because it was recently completely renovated.
You'll find it flat and fast. Watch for children mid day when it is warm.
There are a ton of bike shops along the trail and right at this parking lot!
There seems to be some dispute as to the actual length from S. Dennis to trail end in Wellfleet but you can easily get in 26 miles each way if you continue on local ocean side roads.
If you spend any time in Wellfleet then you can make a nice day of it. There are plenty of freshwater swimming holes to explore.
The official endpoint is Marconi Beach (ocean) and they have changing rooms and showers. This is best in the warm summer.
There are many parking lots along the way so one can start in places other than South Dennis.
Yes, it can be a long drive but it is worth it!
For food and drink I hit the deli at the general store at trail's end.
If you continue to Newcomb Hollow there is a bath house with flush toilets in season and fresh cold water but no showers. There is usually an ice cream truck which also sells water; iced tea and hot dogs.
Party on Garth!

https://www.yelp.com/map/cape-cod-rai...l-south-dennis

https://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/ccrt.htm

https://www.traillink.com/ViewTrail.aspx?AcctID=6015955

https://www.trailsfromrails.com/cape_cod_trail.htm

https://www.capecodbiketrails.com/Dir...Directions.htm

https://www.dennischamber.com/modules...rtid=34&page=1

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-02-18 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-16-09, 04:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Was out on the trail Friday and Saturday and saw lots of potential forum members. If we've corresponded then HI! If not then - see you next time. The weather was great but that's not the reason for this post so i'll spare the ride report and pleasantries ...

I'm not happy about these two new STAts because I used new settings on my computer. I used two new wheel sets on two bikes, one of which is new to me. The new settings are bringing down my MAX and AVRG speeds. I'm also still trying to find the best wheel circumference setting for the computer.

Anyway - since I'll be riding this trail lots more, I'll still need a personal log to access from time to time.

Friday - S. dennis to Newcomb Hollow then around Eastham to First Encounter Beach https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.077162&z=14, then back on the trail to S. Dennis
'85 LeTour Dark Blue 27 x 1" 90 psi on Schwinn gumwalls computer factor: 2136
58.56 miles
30.8 MAX speed
15.5 AVRG speed
3 hrs 47 min saddle time

Saturday - Began at Wellfleet Town Pier parking lot, crossed 6 @ PJ's then past Great Pond, right at the 'Coma', down Ocean View Drive to S. Wellfleet trailhead, then down to S. Dennis and back again along same route. I kept the computer on for the beach trip after wards to Duck Harbor Bay Beach https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.308647&z=12
Converted Trailway hybrid (drops etc) with 700x28C Specialized All Condition Armadillos at 110 psi computer factor 2136
63.4 miles
31.9 mph MAX speed
14.6 AVRG speed (the beach run in sandals and flat tire brought my avrg down, huh?)
4 hrs 20 min saddle time
Old 09-14-09, 05:48 AM
rumrunn6

Sunday 9/13/09
Bike: Converted Schwinn Trailway Hybrid
Tires: 700 x 28C Specialized Armadillo (All-Condition) @ 120psi
Computer factor: 2136

Computer STATs:
44.26 miles
24.9 MAX speed
15.5 AVRG speed
2 hrs 51 min saddle time

I started from the lot in S. Dennis @ 8:50 am & finished the round trip at 12:00 pm. I stopped @ the S. Wellfleet general Store for a pre-made deli sandwich - to which I added a container of grilled chicken salad. Gone were the crowds and other joyous riders from the summer. It was pretty dam depressing. I was tentatively considering a second trip with a 12 mile add-on for a complete century, but my left knee was a bit sore & I had a big work week ahead of me including a vigorous morning training schedule every day, so I prudently chose to just go home and do laundry. The trail as covered with pine needles and wet spots. The bike and I got sprayed and both needed a wash. the temps were cool but warm enough for just a shirt and bike shorts. The new bike shorts with longer legs fit fine & I look forward to using them again. There's a remote possibility I can get another ride in next weekend - but it's a pretty remote possibility. I'll be out of state 2 nites,2 separate states and hotels and by time I get home I'll need to crash and do laundry.
Old 11-21-09, 07:06 PM
rumrunn6

Saturday 11/21/09
Bike: Converted Schwinn Trailway Hybrid
Tires: 700 x 28C Specialized Armadillo (All-Condition) @ 110psi
Computer factor: 2136

Computer STATs:
44.3 miles
29.8 MAX speed (this was nice to see again)
14.7 AVRG speed (hmmm)
3 hrs 1 min saddle time

Someone was out blowing leaves off the trail. KUDOS my friend! here's a big thumbs up. I stupidly wore only a long sleeve base layer up top with a cycling t-shirt which was too cool for the high 40s. I added another t-shirt for the ride home. Bike shorts and cheap running pants down below. Fingerless gloves but could have gone full fingered. One dude in black attire riding a black bike absolutely flew by me. I love to see that - it is so impressive. He was thin but his calves bulged so much they could be seen from a distance in silhouette ...
Old 03-22-10, 11:34 AM
rumrunn6

did the CCRT yesterday. it was glorious! cool to start then it warmed up, but had a cold finish.
bike: 1985 LeTour 27x1 1/4 Armadillos pressure unknown - somewhere between 105 & 120

56.7 miles
26.9 MAX
13.3 AVRG
4 hrs 10 min saddle time

my new Athletica pants were awesome. wore traditional bike shorts under. when I warmed up I slid the ankles up to have knickers. then when I got hot I took them off and rode in just shorts. when I reached the end I put the pants back on and they stayed on into the night.

due to my late start, by time I got to he general store in South Wellfleet all the lunch foods were gone so I hauled out for some additional miles to town center grocery, then the town pier to eat.

I was glad to have brought so many layers and by the end I was wearing everything I had brought. was glad to have my headlight and rear strobe for he road riding I did; crossing route 6 and for the pitch black last 10 miles. a bath never felt so good as the one I had last night. here's hoping the next long ride isn't so painful :-)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-26-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 11:40 AM
rumrunn6

7-4-09:

Cape cod Rail Trail to Marconi Beach - is a sweet ride. yesterday despite not being sure about the weather and traffic I just went. Good idea cuz I beat the traffic and the weather turned great.
- 47 miles
- max speed 23.5
- avrg speed 14.8
- road time 3 hrs 12 min
- time at beach 2 hrs
- food stop S. Wellfleet general store, deli was closed but got a pre-made Cesar salad with chicken
- hotties on the beach DOZENS
- water temp 58 and totally doable - went in all the way but not for too long - mostly enjoyed the waves
- sunburn index up there! bring lotion

Any way - when in doubt - JUST GO! Exit 9A off Route 6

yeah yeah, I know my speeds are not impressive but you know what? who cares :-)
Old 03-22-10, 11:50 AM
rumrunn6

5-24-09:

88 mile ride in 8.5 hrs, (including all breaks), 6.5 hrs of saddle time I think. not sure of average speed, need to get a cheap bike computer

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-26-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-17-13, 11:14 AM
rumrunn6

wow, over 3 yrs since I did an up-&-back on this trail. hard to believe, but then it's been a hard 3+ yrs. It's a good way to lay down some miles but more fun to throw in some detours, so next time should start earlier! also gotta bring daughters camera. passed too many photo opps this time around. late fall makes for amazing color saturation if overcast, especially with symmetric reflections in water bodies.

11/16/13

44.4 miles
23.2 max
13.8 avrg
3hrs 12min in the saddle.

I barely wore enough. starting temp was 60 but in the shade with the breeze of the bike it felt like 45. I wore fingerless the whole out and fingered gloved the whole way back.
---------------

this thread is what I was looking for so I could compare yesterday's ride to what I've done in the past. I've since started a sep thread just for my log in bloggers, so as not to bore anyone. I'm cross referencing these 2 threads for myself hope no one minds

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1-personal-log

also my CCRT ride yesterday
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-to-Wellfleet

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-18-13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 05:01 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Hopefully my first time on this trail this coming July 4th weekend will feel easy compared to my hilly 50 miles last weekend. Would I be better off on my commuter/mtb or my road bike?
Old 07-01-14, 06:00 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Hopefully my first time on this trail this coming July 4th weekend will feel easy compared to my hilly 50 miles last weekend. Would I be better off on my commuter/mtb or my road bike?
Whichever you prefer - it's a fine surface for either, though some root damage and an occasional hole (all well marked) in some spots. Get out early in the morning for a quiet serene ride. Mid-day will be more crowded (perhaps much more because of the holiday), but the nice thing about mid-day there's enough foliage canopy that there's a bit of refuge from the sun. Evening rides might be a bit buggy, more annoying than anything else (unless you flat).

-mr. bill
Old 07-01-14, 06:23 AM
rumrunn6

it's a paved trail, for me that means road bike. especially if you intend on running the entire length in both directions (45 miles +/-). that's enough of a workout without adding the burden a MTB would bring. interesting question though because last weekend on a paved trail wifey and I saw a man on a 29'r complete with knobbies and he hauled a*s, blowing our doors off in both directions. I could only imagine he wanted a bigger workout than what a road bike could afford. or perhaps this is the only bike he has and will quickly realize he should go N+1 with a road bike.
Old 07-01-14, 11:00 AM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The earlier you head out, the less crowded it will be. Be aware that there are a number of road crossings, and some of them are fairly busy roads. It's called the CCRT, but it's a multi-use path, as most bike paths are. You will come across runners, walkers, dog walkers, and families, both on bikes and walking.

When you get to a bike rotary a few miles from the trail head in Dennis, there's a shorter spur that heads into Chatham. First path on your right. If you want to stay on the CCRT, go past it. There should be signs.
Old 07-01-14, 08:45 PM
zacster

I think I'll take the roadie then. While my commuter is more versatile, I don't expect to get out more than once anyway so ths ride will be it.
Old 07-06-14, 03:00 PM
zacster

Something about a hurricane stopped me from doing my ride...

The Fourth was of course a total washout on the cape, Saturday may have been OK, but I was planning on doing it early and it hadn't cleared up yet. Later in the day it was still pretty windy for cycling. I did go to the Canal trail just because it was close and did an out and back from Sandwich. Going out was a struggle in the remaining wind, and of course I was cruising coming back, keeping up a steady 25-30mph without much difficulty.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-06-14, 07:21 PM
rumrunn6

no worries, it'll be there when you're ready
Old 07-06-14, 07:58 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something about a hurricane stopped me from doing my ride...

The Fourth was of course a total washout on the cape, Saturday may have been OK, but I was planning on doing it early and it hadn't cleared up yet. Later in the day it was still pretty windy for cycling. I did go to the Canal trail just because it was close and did an out and back from Sandwich. Going out was a struggle in the remaining wind, and of course I was cruising coming back, keeping up a steady 25-30mph without much difficulty.
The Canal is a wind tunnel.and the two bridge abutments serve to funnel it even more. Both banks are lined with hills and they steer the wind right down it.

But if you liked yesterday's wind, you would have really enjoyed it today. Steady 20-25 WSW. I ended 40 miles by taking the path for about 3-1/2 miles. Pedal 100 yards, coast 100 yards at 20-22 without touching the pedals.
Old 02-01-18, 07:43 PM
rumrunn6

looks like I have an entry to add

9/11/17
type two, fun recently heard that phrase referring to biking w/o much sleep
left house 4:05am
crossed canal 5:30am
reached So Wellfleet parking lot behind general store (closed) & post office
charged my light Friday night cuz I thought I would be riding in the dark Sat. AM, but arrived (6:23 am) at the trail head just after sunrise (6:15 am) so left the light in the car when I started at 6:44 am
at end of CCRT extension in So. Dennis 8:22am
after break, started back 8:31am
back at car in Welfleet 10:28am
couldn't find bike computer when packing, approx 46 miles
approx 1.5 hrs 1st half
approx 2 hrs 2nd half (at one point after a 'pit stop' I past a dead rabbit for the 2nd time. it had been struck & killed after my 1st half so seeing it a 2nd time meant I was going the wrong way! asked a cpl ppl to be sure then turned around, this easily added 10-15 minutes to my 2nd half time)
approx 3.5 hrs saddle time
home 8:33pm
door to door including sightseeing w Sister on Cape 16.5 hrs

always a pretty ride tho!

starting temps in the 50s, later in the day it would be 70s, not sure of temp at end of ride, certainly 60s
wore this:
thin beanie & light gloves for 1st half
long sleeve thick jersey & cotton t-shirt
MTB shorts
new lake MTB cycling shoes w short REI hiking socks
new grey helmet
no eyewear
2 bottles of lemon water was enough
1 banana & box of yogurt raisins at 1/2 way point

the Newcomb Hollow dune cave-in that swallowed a car recently is sad & dramatic. wonder if The Beachcomber will let ANY cars park in the front lot next year. looks like they dumped some sand at the top rim of the gap. they were having a season ending charity for $30 a head but sister didn't want to go in - she's shy, I was disappointed. chatted w staff over the fence, they're so nice. decided to go back-to-back-to-back w 3 restaurants for clams, cocktails, appetizers & a lunch ... too much fun! (& spent way more than $30 ea)

clams tequila & beer at Pepe's

nap on the bay side before driving 200 miles home

just occurred to me, if I was clever, I could plan this ride over two days, where I park at one end, stay in a B&B or motel at the other end, then do the return trip the next day. the only hitch is finding legal overnight parking at one end
Old 04-12-20, 04:02 PM
rumrunn6

here's one for my personal record books. due to the current 1st wave of a COVID-19 pandemic I escaped to the penninsula for some cleaner ocean wind.

it's a big effort for me. felt fine during the ride & felt strong enough right to the end. tempted to ride another few miles for 61 birthday miles a week late. but was so glad to see my car. that was it.

parked in Wellfleet, 420 Lecount Hollow Rd, South Wellfleet, MA 02667
& rode 26 miles to West Yarmouth, stopping at a bench at the Bayberry Hills Golf Course
635 W Yarmouth Rd, West Yarmouth, MA 02673

just under 54 miles -1:30pm start, 3:30 pm reached W. Yarmouth, 6:12pm back at car

mostly devoid of ppl, but not baron. waaaay better that the trails near home. glad I did it, wasn't going to, until about an hour before I left. something clicked & I went

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-14-20, 05:47 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Jealous. Been staying close to home like a responsible citizen, although the thought of doing some rides on the Cape has crossed my mind. I bet there are way more people hiding out there these days.
Old 04-14-20, 06:05 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
Jealous. Been staying close to home like a responsible citizen, although the thought of doing some rides on the Cape has crossed my mind. I bet there are way more people hiding out there these days.
"the Cape" isn't closed. it's not against the rules to go there & ride your bike. it's quite desolate because it's more remote & has a smaller population than metro Boston. it's easier to stay away from ppl when there are no ppl. but there are the same limitations to accessing bathrooms & food. actually more so. I talked to one biker from a distance of 30 feet about what to wwear as I was leaving my car. this is a great time to get away from it all, before the crowds show up. the town beaches & parking lots are open w/ signs to keep your distance from ppl. I believe state beaches may be closed & probabaly the National Seashore beaches. but if you want to ride your bike, the trails & roads are as open as they are up here. one can be "a responsible citizen" there, just as well as up here. just carefully plan your food & rest stops

there was a pop-up booth selling surgical masks at the Bourne rotary. I pulled into the restaurant parking lot & bought 5 for $10. he was also selling boxes of them but they weren't cheap

after 9/11 ppl were saying that New York City was closed. but of course it wasn't. 14 days after, while the acrid rubble was still smoldering I went to walk the city & document what happened to my town. I grew up nearby. ppl were surprised I went, but really everyone in the country should have gone to see first hand the reality of it all. television makes some things seem fake

anyway, it was good to breath ocean air & see & hear the waves

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-14-20 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-16-20, 02:17 PM
autonomy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
"the Cape" isn't closed. it's not against the rules to go there & ride your bike. it's quite desolate because it's more remote & has a smaller population than metro Boston. it's easier to stay away from ppl when there are no ppl. but there are the same limitations to accessing bathrooms & food. actually more so.
You're right, they're not closed. Food is usually not a big deal, but bathrooms can be if you're not quite in the deep woods for #1 . It's all the what-ifs that seem a little more difficult these days - flat tire, taking a spill, needing shelter... etc., etc. We'll see, this Sunday looks like a good day for it.

By the way, random question for you - are you still running Riddlers? I'm looking for the widest, cushiest 700c/29r tire with a bit of grip to put on my adventure bike. I want to do some more of the MTBish/flatter/smoother trails around here - not the typical rooty/rocky singletrack but more like wider/flatter Great Brook Farm trails with some leaves, some rocks, some roots, some wet patches, typical hiking stuff - sometimes connected by pavement, maybe 80% dirt, 20% pavement. I'm not sure how aggressive of a tread I need - my Xplor MSOs are generally pretty good (though narrower than I want) but for some reason I keep thinking I want more aggressive knobs on the sides like Riddler/Raddler/- not for crazy cornering, for general when riding around. You seem to ride surfaces very similar to the ones I'm targeting, what has your tire experience been like?
Even though I would like to go 650b for the volume, it's is out of the budget.
Old 04-16-20, 04:16 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
but bathrooms can be if you're not quite in the deep woods for #1 . It's all the what-ifs that seem a little more difficult these days - flat tire, taking a spill, needing shelter... etc., etc. & Riddlers
oh yeah I forgot about those points, duh. regarding going or not going, my sister & I came to an agreement, that if either of us have the opportunity presented to us to go to the cape & we're on the fence about whether or not we shud, we agreed in that situation to remove the decision & always answer yes. like seatbelts, it's not an open. if I get in a car & have a seatbelt, I put it on. if I have the opportunity, no obligations, good weather, whatever, but decision is mine, then the decision is always yes. it's been working out really well for me & my sister. good luck Sunday! let me know if you see the extension in Wellfleet, really curious about it. cold wind today, probabaly brutal out there.

--- and the Riddlers, Yes! I like them very much. what size are you considerig? mine are 700 x 2.25" but I also have a set of 700 x 45mm which I don't use anymore. loving them on my MTB, tho! fun to play w/ pressure. currently I like 25psi rear 21 psi front. altho recently I ran the backs at 30psi & that felt good too. but the 25 in back is best for the softer soils at the Myles Standish State Forest in Carver / Plymouth. hmmm ... I know they closed state beach parking lots, I wonder about "state" parks as well ... if I go back, I'd better have a plan B!
Old 04-17-20, 01:25 PM
autonomy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh yeah I forgot about those points, duh. regarding going or not going, my sister & I came to an agreement, that if either of us have the opportunity presented to us to go to the cape & we're on the fence about whether or not we shud, we agreed in that situation to remove the decision & always answer yes. like seatbelts, it's not an open. if I get in a car & have a seatbelt, I put it on. if I have the opportunity, no obligations, good weather, whatever, but decision is mine, then the decision is always yes. it's been working out really well for me & my sister. good luck Sunday! let me know if you see the extension in Wellfleet, really curious about it. cold wind today, probabaly brutal out there.

--- and the Riddlers, Yes! I like them very much. what size are you considerig? mine are 700 x 2.25" but I also have a set of 700 x 45mm which I don't use anymore. loving them on my MTB, tho! fun to play w/ pressure. currently I like 25psi rear 21 psi front. altho recently I ran the backs at 30psi & that felt good too. but the 25 in back is best for the softer soils at the Myles Standish State Forest in Carver / Plymouth. hmmm ... I know they closed state beach parking lots, I wonder about "state" parks as well ... if I go back, I'd better have a plan B!
On the other hand, only 55 and 20+mph winds on the Cape this Sunday, don't think my daughter will like that.

Various online charts say my rims can go up to 50mm, although some users say I can exceed that by 10%. My frame, with reasonable clearance, will allow 54 front, 57 rear (depending on knobs). I will most likely go no bigger than 50-52 in the front, 54 (2.1in) in the rear. Problem is, I don't really know what the real-world measurements are. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how aggressive of a tread I need. You are running wicked low PSI, I don't go lower than 50psi on my MSOs, but that's the spec. Good to know that kind of tread is enough for our trails, thanks.
Old 04-17-20, 06:10 PM
rumrunn6

I can pump up my 45s for a little reference. Don’t run those as low as the bigger ones. Sunday wind? Drag
Old 04-18-20, 07:27 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Love your posts about the C.C.R.T. brings back good memories. We have a summer house out in Harwich
. we have not opened up yet. Everything is backed up because of the virus. Looking forward to riding it soon, Maybe after this is over we will meet up on the C.C.R.T and ride..
Likes For jsilvia:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.