Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you commute with an electric bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Do you commute with an electric bike?
Yes, always.
11.11%
Yes, often.
7.19%
Yes, but only sometimes
6.54%
No, but I'm considering to start.
25.49%
No, never!
49.67%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Do you commute with an electric bike?

Old 04-22-19, 07:01 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Khb
Well, the original battery was replaced early, around 5500 miles. I normally charge at the office, so more than 50% SoC almost always. But I do commute in the snow, and cold takes a toll on battery capacity and life as well. Assuming the Stromer SoC algorithm (for the display) is doing a credible job, I should still be able to do 30 miles with some headroom (say 10% SoC). I don't try to experimentally verify ;> As temps warm, and when I remove the studded tires, I hope it goes back up a bit ;>
OK, that explains a lot... BUT, that is still 6,500 miles on one battery, and if you are taking it down to 10% basically every charge... That is still a wonder it lasted that long, JMO as to how I understand how battery life is effected by how much you charge it and how much you take it down to... In other words "if" you charge a battery up to 100%, you loose life expectancy, or "if" you take it below 20% charge you loose life expectancy… Put them both together... and … that is one huge kick in the rear to a battery's "life expectancy", again as I understand it.
Old 04-22-19, 10:21 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
OK, that explains a lot... BUT, that is still 6,500 miles on one battery, and if you are taking it down to 10% basically every charge... That is still a wonder it lasted that long, JMO as to how I understand how battery life is effected by how much you charge it and how much you take it down to... In other words "if" you charge a battery up to 100%, you loose life expectancy, or "if" you take it below 20% charge you loose life expectancy… Put them both together... and … that is one huge kick in the rear to a battery's "life expectancy", again as I understand it.
10% ...not ... *sigh* My typical commute takes it down to 50-60% not 10. I charge at both ends of the commute. IF (and I've done this precisely once) I do the entire round trip on a single charge, that's down to about 20%.

I record the SoC as reported by the Stromer panel at start and finish. I compute the estimated range (crudely) by
miles/(delta SoC)*.9*100 (giving a 10% reserve). You are correct that really deep discharges are to be avoided, and when dropping below 50% (circumstances permitting) changes in riding strategy may be usefully employed (since wind resistance goes up approximately speed^2, slowing down can help ;>). Using this crude estimate, My longest computed range was 69 miles, my average is 33 with standard deviation of 6.

The stromer charger isn't particularly smart, there's no trivial way to set it to stop charging at 90%. It appears to simply monitor the "float voltage", and turns the charge down to a trickle relatively early (at least, by monitoring the KwH in). Unless there's periodic "overcharging", any clever cell balancing never occurs which can provoke early pack failure (smarter charger/control circuits keep track of the power out and manage the actual power in ... not just watch the voltage). However, despite the relative lack of intelligence, it holds up pretty well.
Old 05-08-19, 09:19 PM
rexr

Bikes: Never enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I see the light.

Hi all.. I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I fell into the No, Never category but am now converting a bike to PaS.

I have been riding and racing bikes since I was 8 and will be 51 this year. My wife, son and I, have 14 bikes in the garage including 3 BMX bikes, 3 fatbikes, 2 gravel bikes and 5 mountain bikes and a tandem. Needless to say we ride a little. I am one of those guys mentioned above that can maintain 20+ on the flats and 30+ going downhill without a motor (on my good days). That said there is a time and a place for it and crowded bike paths are not that place.

I started commuting by bike 3 year ago when we moved to Denver from SoCal. My first commute was 10 miles each way with about 50% of that being dirt so I rode my MTB or FatBike.

I changed jobs two years and that commute was 13 miles each way all on streets and bike paths so I switched between MTB, Fatbike and Gravel Bike depending on the weather and what I felt like riding.

I am changing jobs again and now my commute will be 26 miles each way with at least 1000 ft of climbing each way so I am in the process of converting one of my steel MTB's to a pedal assist bike with the Bafang 750 watt motor. It will have a throttle but I don't plan on using it unless traffic or some other situation makes it necessary. It also has 9 steps of assist so I can determine how much help I want depending on how I feel that day, what type of path or road I am on and traffic type.

Why would a guy at my level want an PaS bike? Well, what I am finding is that at 51, I am dead by the end of the week if I commute everyday. Riding 2 hours a day plus being on my feet 8+ hours a day is wearing me down quick. I just can't recover like I did when I was younger. I don't want to drive my car. I did a 90 mile a day car commute in SoCal for 20 years and NEVER EVER want to do that again. So now my options are RTD/Bus/Train or ride the bike. So for now I am opting to ride a PaS bike that will let me ride the bike 5 days a week. If the weather is absolutely crap then I can take RTD.

Bottom line is that until recently I was VERY against e-bikes. I had a lot of the same opinions as stated in the posts above. Then I saw two of my friends in CA that were not able to ride or do much exercise for that matter get e-bikes and it changed their lives. Then this commuting situation came up for me, so a PaS bike started to make more sense and have a true purpose.

After reading a lot of articles, doing some research and talking to riders I would now consider myself an advocate for Pas bikes. There are always asshats out there. In all aspects of life, even cycling. Banning the bike or putting restrictive laws in place for a specific type of bike is not going to change a persons behavior. Asshats are going to be asshats. Just my 2 cents.

Keep pedaling!!

Last edited by rexr; 05-09-19 at 06:03 AM.
Likes For rexr:
Old 08-01-19, 06:59 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
My electric definitely serves a purpose, if I need to be somewhere with bad parking and shouldn't be sweaty/smelly/dirty it removes most of the risk. If I'm feeling lazy it works perfect for that too, still nowhere near as fun as the real thing though..
Old 08-01-19, 08:51 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
I've been searching for my perfect winter commuter for years. E-bikes have always been a part of that search, but the available technology has not advanced as fast in the U.S. of A. as it has internationally, so I've waited, while trying various configurations of belt-drive IGH, Pinion gearbox, etc.

The pending (Fall 2019) arrival of the Budnitz (Vermont) hydroformed aluminum e-bike with a removable Fazua Evation motor, 700 x 50mm tires, and braze-ons for racks and fenders has inspired me to dive in. I like a clean drive-train for the icey sludge that I'll be riding in, need good four-row studded tire options for safe footing, and the e-assist will take the load off when I'm slogging home in the dark from a long workday .

https://electrek.co/2019/07/01/budni...bicycle-fazua/

The only downside is that my S.O. is insisting that I dump one of my bikes to make room for the newcomer. Anybody want a used pinion-drive, only ridden M-F?

I doubt I'll be riding the e-bike in nicer weather, but with the stupidly muggy weather we've had this summer, who knows for sure what two wheels I'll be on.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 08-02-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-01-19, 11:13 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
No because:
1. I will choose other modes if it is outside of my bike-able or bike+transit range. I'll also say no to biking if the hill is too big
2. e-bikes are pretty heavy and unwieldy, so it would be hard to get it into my apartment (or office)
3. charging would be hard in or out of my apartment. The outlets in my apartment are located in horrible positions

But whenever the ebikes make it back to my bike share, I am happy to keep it in the arsenal. I have tried the ebikes and liked them! There are some routes that have big hills the I skip. The ebike opens up all sorts of destinations. I don't foresee myself owning one unless I have a lot of space and convenient plug. And no stairs to carry the bike up! I struggle enough trying to park the deckles e-bike from bike share in front of my apartment (I live on a slightly hilly street).

But I think e-bikes count as bike and happy to see them proliferate. But for me personally, they are still a little too heavy and funny looking. . (Save the Faradays! They are really cute.)
Old 08-01-19, 11:17 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I've been searching for my perfect winter commuter for years. E-bikes have always been a part of that search, but the available technology has not advanced as fast in the U.S. of A. as it has internationally, so I've waited, while trying various configurations of belt-drive IGH, Pinion gearbox, etc.

The pending (Fall 2019) arrival of the Budnitz (Vermont) hydroformed aluminum e-bike with a removable Fazua Evation motor, 700 x 50mm tires, and braze-ons for racks and fenders has inspired me to dive in. I like a clean drive-train for the icey sludge that I'll be riding in, need good four-row studded tire options for safe footing, and the e-assist will take the load off when I'm slogging home in the dark from a long workday .

The only downside is that my S.O. is insisting that I dump one of my bikes to make room for the newcomer. Anybody want a used pinion-drive, only driven M-F?

I doubt I'll be riding the e-bike in nicer weather, but with the stupidly muggy weather we've had this summer, who knows for sure what two wheels I'll be on.
That Budnitz e-bike looks pretty good. Love that it can transition to normal bike...
Old 08-01-19, 11:29 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Yes, I do! Keeps my commute times consistent. Less sweaty.
Old 08-02-19, 11:10 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

The only downside is that my S.O. is insisting that I dump one of my bikes to make room for the newcomer. Anybody want a used pinion-drive, only driven M-F?

I looked at the specs, and you are not getting much assist from a small motor and the battery is woefully inadequate. You are locked into their battery and motor, so if the company goes belly up, you have a nice $3000 paperweight.
Old 08-02-19, 12:40 PM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by alan s
...... You are locked into their battery and motor, so if the company goes belly up, you have a nice $3000 paperweight.
And your statement is not true for other motor/battery manufacturers? In any case, here is your paperweight in advance, which you can use while I'm enjoying my new wheels:

"$3,000 Paperweight"
Old 08-02-19, 12:55 PM
alan s 

And your statement is not true for other motor/battery manufacturers? In any case, here is your paperweight in advance, which you can use while I'm enjoying my new wheels:

"$3,000 Paperweight"
Thanks for the nice paperweight. Anyway, I don’t know much about ebikes, but do know that major brands such as Bosch will be around for a while, which means you'll have support should replacements be needed. No idea if batteries are standardized, but if it locks into the frame, chances are you will be out of luck if the company goes under in a year.
Old 08-02-19, 01:05 PM
Archwhorides 

Thanks for the nice paperweight. Anyway, I don’t know much about ebikes, but do know that major brands such as Bosch will be around for a while, which means you'll have support should replacements be needed. No idea if batteries are standardized, but if it locks into the frame, chances are you will be out of luck if the company goes under in a year.
You may be right that a relatively new company such as Fazua could go belly up at a young age, so I placed my bet after seeing their list of OEM customers, which is quite impressive thus far: https://fazua.com/en/evation/bikes/ And here's the review of the Pinarello e-roadbike with the Evation motor: https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/re...llo-nytro-1795

Last edited by Archwhorides; 08-02-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 01:15 PM
alan s 

You may be right that a relatively new company such as Fazua could go belly up at a young age, so I placed my bet after seeing their list of OEM customers, which is quite impressive thus far: https://fazua.com/en/evation/bikes/
Good luck with it then. It’s a lot of money, but if it keeps you riding, it may be worth it.
Likes For alan s:
Old 08-02-19, 07:23 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

I looked at the specs, and you are not getting much assist from a small motor and the battery is woefully inadequate. You are locked into their battery and motor, so if the company goes belly up, you have a nice $3000 paperweight.
Really,... Really... coming from you,...??? Woefully inadequate... WOW... He is trying to keep the E-assist to a minimum, (unlike the vast majority that you always complain about), Like, as close to a real bicycle as can be done, and, still, ride with enough assistance to make it "worth while|"... To get the E-Assist option benefits... You know,... the best, of both worlds...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 08-03-19, 03:51 PM
Archwhorides 

Good luck with it then. It’s a lot of money, but if it keeps you riding, it may be worth it.
Oh, I'll be riding either way, but in certain conditions I'll be enjoying it a lot more with the light assist.
Old 08-07-19, 03:50 PM
Kent2019

Bikes: Kent Cruiser 7spd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
🚲

No but I am looking as some gas powered ones.
Old 08-07-19, 07:09 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Kent2019
No but I am looking as some gas powered ones.
and... there you go, slipping over to the dark side...
Old 08-07-19, 07:50 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I haven't owned a car for 14 years. I have been a four season scooterist (50cc-650cc). I started commuting to work by bicycle in May. I ride beach cruisers. I own 2 Electra Townie 21d, and used to own a Sixthreezero EvryJourney 7. When I first started commuting it would take me about 70-80 minutes to commute in one direction every other day (12 miles, 370 feet elevation change). I was commuting one way at the first month on my bicycle and taking public transportation home. During the second month, I started commuting three times a week in both directions. I got my times down to 50 mins and 75 minutes, which beats public transportation, bus and rail. I really needed some more consistent timing. My commute times are at 4 am and 3 pm, in the morning it's cool and downslope. In the afternoon, its warm, against wind and upslope. I can do it, but I decided to buy a cheap ebike for the third month.

The ebike has made my commute time 50 mins in both directions. I own a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide Ie that I purchased for $1200. Both of my Townies were $250 each, and the EvryJourney was $300. I love the ebike. This week, I went back to regular bicycling and it took me 55 mins and 70 mins to commute. I listen to music on my commute and stick to around 14-15 MPH with level 2/4 assist. Commute times on my scooter is 25-40 mins both ways depending on traffic. This month, I decided to commute 4 times a week, our lows are in the 60s and highs in the 90s. I use a cooling vest to keep me cool on hot days. I am regularly passed by other bicycles on my way home. I live in Denver and want to be a four season bicycle commuter.

Why did I move to a bicycle? Health reasons and to lower my commute expenses. Scooters need maintenance, a license plate, a special license to ride, and gas. My gas bill is usually $6/week. My Scooter is a 2018 Yamaha XMAX 300, I average about 80 MPG. I'm a type 2 diabetic, riding a bicycle/ebike to work has helped me to lose 15 lbs so far, my goal is 100 lbs by next summer. My insulin levels have been decreased by 50%. Ebikes are the best thing since slice bread as far as I'm concerned. I'm very two wheeled experienced motorized or not. I love bicycling and my endochronologist stated that they're no difference in my blood sugars when I ebike.

Ebikes are the fastest growing two wheeled segment of any market. Riding an ebike is like Pee Wee Herman when he's just cruising past the racers. It's fun and enjoyable. You can be a purist, but ebikes have expanded the bicycle industry and is the future. Bicycle religions are crazy. Everyone can ride whatever they want. I ride both, improve my health, and no longer get scooter rage. I ride on bicycle paths and am always respectful. Most bicyclist are we all want to ride bicycles and we need to work together to coexist. Don't judge ebikes if you haven't ridden one. I used to ride a moped as a teenager. I loved it at the time too. My mopeds were modified to go 48 MPH and I did my own work. Would I ride a moped from the 70s today hell no! Today's machines have better technology. Ebikes will improve bicycle technology. This week, I was thinking my scooter might be the last scooter that I purchase. I'm also thinking about getting a 500W hub drive ebike. Ebikes are also the most affordable hybrid vehicle on the market. I owned an escooter before but the bicycle is just more practical. Ride what you want, mtb, road bike, city bike, beach cruiser, ebike. We can all die the same way by getting hit by another vehicle.

This discussion is the same as motorcycles vs scooters, classic scooters vs modern scooters. It just doesn't matter. Cheers.
Likes For alloo:
Old 08-09-19, 03:32 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Every once in a while someone has to point out that electrically powered two wheeled vehicles are not bicycles. Bicycles are powered by pedaling and/or gravity. Bicycles powered by motors of any kind are no longer bicycles. They are motor bikes. Yes, they can be "legally" classified as bicycles per instructions of industry lobbyists but that does not change the fact that e-bikes are powered by electric motors.

ps. there is a forum for e-bikes.

Last edited by Classtime; 08-09-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 11:34 AM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Every once in a while someone has to point out that electrically powered two wheeled vehicles are not bicycles. Bicycles are powered by pedaling and/or gravity. Bicycles powered by motors of any kind are no longer bicycles. They are motor bikes. Yes, they can be "legally" classified as bicycles per instructions of industry lobbyists but that does not change the fact that e-bikes are powered by electric motors.

Thanks for addressing all of these questions that no-one is asking.
Old 08-12-19, 05:38 AM
Chetster213

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Allowed on LA Metro

You'll have to electric bike it all the way if you plan our commuting using one here in Los Angeles. They are prohibited to be brought inside LA Metro buses and trains.
Do you guys see the logic in this regulation? Will they ever change it?
Old 08-12-19, 08:41 AM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime

This post gets the "send her back!" award for the day.

I commute on either a push bike or an eike depending on the day. On the ebike I'm still thinking about stuff like carrying cargo, weather protection, dealing with flats, and many other issues that are common fare on the "Commuting" forum.
Old 08-12-19, 12:37 PM
physdl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chetster213
You'll have to electric bike it all the way if you plan our commuting using one here in Los Angeles. They are prohibited to be brought inside LA Metro buses and trains.
Do you guys see the logic in this regulation? Will they ever change it?
I was curious about your statement and took a look at both LA and Seattle (where I live). I think the issue is weight - Seattle doesn't have a ban on e-bikes but they do state that the maximum allowed weight is 55 lbs. If your bike is below that, then they don't care whether it has a motor or not. Practically speaking, most ebikes are above that weight, especially with the battery attached. Hence LA probably finds it easier just to ban everything.

I didn't see anything about bikes being prohibited on board LA trains - just that they'd be subject to "safety" checks. I seriously doubt they'd care that much.
Old 08-18-19, 10:49 AM
yungkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work with an electric bike for various reasons.
I am a food delivery courier here in the UK and it really helps because

a) energy efficiency - as you can imagine, it keeps me going all day long
b) speed - I get to places quicker and it gets me more money
Old 08-27-19, 12:56 AM
Manu431

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Yes , I commute with an ebike.
A city ebike with an open "women" frame. (my wife as exactly the same bike )
It is the choice I have made after a serious thinking about what I needed.
It is a 25 km/h model. I don't need more in the city, and I don't want to go quicker as that.

This video helped me at that time to make this choice. The guy riding the bike could be me and reflects the use I make daily of this bike.

This bike is my main bike, and I do almost everything with it.

I can go to work, I can go everywhere into the city , I even take it on tour with my family.
It is robust , I can ride it on daily office clothes , I can carry everything I want, almost no maintenance with the gates belt, internal hub very well suited to a city use, ....
The position is relax, I can see very well what happen in front of me, no back pain at all.

I am 53 years old.
My travel to work is about 18 km one way. I commute 2 to 3 days a week, but I am not a purist.
If I need the car for any reason, I take it. I make it to feel good, stay healthy, and not to be the quickest guy in town.
I never take the bike when it is raining strong in the morning, or it is freezing. I just don't like it. (I have rain clothes with me and I don't care if it is raining in the evening after work),

I am not at all looking for performance.
An ebike like mine is something special. Ride it relax, and you have the feeling that you are "flying. you are always at 25 km/h , not depending on the road profile.
It allows "normal" people to ride bicycle, and it is a nice experience.
Try to ride it at more than 25 km/h or want to be absolutely faster as the guy with a normal bike you are following, and it will be like facing a 100 km/h wind with a normal bike !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.